It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Flybe Gear Failure on Landing at Schiphol

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 11:36 AM
link   
A Flybe aircraft has suffered a collapse of it's landing gear upon landing at Schiphol airport. There are lots of high winds across Northern Europe at the moment that may have played a part in this? The aircraft seems to me at least to have made a heavy landing upon which one sides landing gear collapses?

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 11:40 AM
link   
a reply to: solidshot

Yah he hits hard on the side that collapses. Hi winds (hear it on the mic?), comes in fast too, (like a tailwind?) see him crabbing before touchdown?

Ouch...

Any landing you walk away from is a good one.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 11:44 AM
link   

In the UK its blowing like Trump at his best shall we say and it did come in hard on the right side, perhaps the pilot didn't have the experience but we'll probably find out once they give the pilots a shower and fresh underwear.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 11:47 AM
link   

This particular type is known for main gear failures. They've had a rash of them since being introduced. Even gentle landings would result in the gear collapsing. They had quite a few where one gear didn't deploy as well. They found a number of faulty parts that were shipped to the manufacturer, and they stopped, but they occasionally happen still.

Dash 8 gear problems.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 06:28 PM
link   

I looked at the videos and while there obviously is a right crosswind component, it was not beyond the demonstrated xwind component for the Dash 8. The reported wind was from 240 degrees at 30 knots with gusts at 46. For runway 22, that means a crosswind component of sin 20 degrees x 46, or .34x46, or about 16 knots. What I found odd was that the landing gear doors were still open. On the Dash 8 they ordinarily close after gear extension and downlock. So rather than breaking because of the crosswind landing, the rght gear may not have never been fully extended and downlocked. In a high wind landing situation, you sometimes carry additional power till touchdown and that can act to mute the gear warning horn.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 06:57 PM
link   
a reply to: F4guy

I was going to say, it looked like he came in hard and didn't flare, but it didn't look hard enough to outright break the gear like other landings I have seen.

The landing gear gave like it wasn't locked, and I'd totally believe that explanation.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 07:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Barnalby

They had a problem with the retract actuator suffering corrosion far sooner than it should have before. Makes me wonder if this was one that got inspected, but not replaced, and it finally failed.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 07:17 PM
link   
ATC audio. Interestingly while this was going on a KLM flight had to return to the gate, and requested police meet them for unruly passengers.

join