It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Scientists Collected a Piece of the Sun

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2017 @ 01:17 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr
Not to stray too far from the thread since we were on Genesis & solar winds....

These pics are also from SOHO demonstrating CMEs not directed towards earth. CMEs heading toward earth appear as Halo CMEs and can be photographed pretty much on one flat plane..Kind of looking at the edge of a piece of paper from the side rather than the paper laying flat on a table so you see the large surface.

This link will hopefully answer some of your questions: solar.physics.montana.edu...
The first answer is that a CME can send up to 10 billion tons of mass however, it's in ionic form. It will mostly only affect the Earth's magnetosphere. Reasonably small CMEs cause things like the Aurora Borealis while larger ones can/will eventually disrupt all electronic activity on the planet.

I don't want to get too far off thread so we can start another about CMEs or just PM me & we'll discuss it further. I just love this stuff!!

Have a great day!!
~dee
edit on 02/14/17 by LittleBurgh because: Misspelled words

posted on Feb, 17 2017 @ 03:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bigburgh
a reply to: Bedlam

Your correct🤗
Like I said....
I wasn't exactly on par with my post. I forgot about the space debris like asteroid bits and other factors.🙄
So I ding myself on that one.

Star for your post good sir/ma'am..

I think what Bedlam is saying is that the reason that the Sun contains iron (and shows up on spectrographs of the Sun) is the same reason the the Earth contains iron. That reason is that the protoplanetary nebula from which our solar system was born contained iron...

...iron that was created by the nucleosynthesis of OTHER long-dead suns -- NOT iron that the Sun is currently making it through nucleosynthesis.

posted on Feb, 17 2017 @ 07:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: LittleBurgh
a reply to: Bedlam

This is a pic of the crapton of space trash currently being tracked. The article of some explanation of what they're considering & expecting to do about it: www.nasa.gov...

Ah, that's stuff WE put up. A big lot of the small crap floating about the system in the form of asteroids, meteors and whatnot is nickel-iron. You do get the occasional carbon based ones. But most of them are nickel iron. There's just a pile of this stuff left over from the planetary formation era.

posted on Feb, 17 2017 @ 07:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Soylent Green Is People
I think what Bedlam is saying...

THAT. I apologize if I was less than clear.

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join