It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Lost continent' found under Mauritius in the Indian Ocean

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 12:21 PM
link   
'Lost continent' found under Mauritius in the Indian Ocean
edition.cnn.com...

It might sound implausible, but deep at the bottom of the Indian Ocean, a research team, led by South Africa's University of the Witwatersrand, has found pieces of an ancient continent.

The lava-covered piece of continent, dubbed 'Mauritia,' was found under the popular island of Mauritius....

...the piece of crust is left over from the breakup of Gondwanaland, a super-continent that existed more than 200 million years ago.

Containing rocks up to 3.6 billion years old, Gondawanaland split into what now are Africa, South America, Antarctica, India and Australia.

Professor Lewis Ashwal, lead author of the paper, says there are a number of pieces of "undiscovered continent" of various sizes spread over the Indian Ocean, left over by the breakup.

They said that remnants of the mineral were way too old to belong to Mauritius. "Mauritius is an island, and there is no rock older than 9 million years old on the island," says Ashwal. But by studying rocks on the island, they found zircons that were 3 billion years old.

Ancient continent lost for 200 MILLION years is discovered by scientists
www.express.co.uk...

The landmass has been uncovered by researchers at the Witwatersrand University, in South Africa, who examined crystals freshly expelled from a volcanic eruption on Mauritius.

Famed as an idyllic getaway location, the island in the Indian Ocean is thought to have formed part of the ancient micro-continent Mauritia, which was created when India and Madagascar broke away from each other.

Mauritia is thought to have been part of the Gondwana supercontinent - which later became Africa, India, Australia and Antartica.

I found this rather fascinating...though when it does come to ancient continents I am mostly interested in any physical structures such as buildings and statues. Moreover, any artifacts and jewelry, etc...are always a pleasure to find.

That said...I wonder if there will be anything other than land mass discovered under the ocean?

Please note...this discovery was about 4 years ago, HOWEVER, there have been remnants found recently that relate to this discovery. As time goes on I am sure more geological findings and maybe pictures will surface.

edit on 3-2-2017 by Skywatcher2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Hate these tabloid titles.. lost continent my arse..
(Not you op.. The original article)

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 12:30 PM
link   
does this mean all the pangea maps are wrong?

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 12:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: jellyrev
does this mean all the pangea maps are wrong?

I think even maps evolve over time, no?

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 01:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Skywatcher2011

I am simply curious about how new maps would look. Wonder if there are some special fossils

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Well, it's not a lost continent, because we know where it is.

Secondly, the name is Lemuria.

They are just inventing new names for an ancient sunken land mass that was long known to be inhabited.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 02:01 PM
link   
a reply to: AMPTAH

thoucht that lemuria was placed at the triangle china /philipines/indinesia.....

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 03:22 PM
link   
We found Atlantis just in time, huh, Momoa?

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 06:23 PM
link   
That is interesting but what makes me happy is seeing the term Gondawanaland. Is Gondawanaland the same as Pangea?

I remember the term from years ago, maybe grade school, (70's) but have never heard it again, always Pangea as the super land mass that broke up and created the continents that we know today.

new topics

top topics

join