It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Beauty of Hip Hop - A deconstruction of rhymes and flow

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 09:34 PM
link   
I came across this video by Vox that analyzes the flow and rhyme patterns of some of the best MCs. It is a really informative video and does an excellent job of explaining what make some MCs so special and creative. Every hip hop fan has thought about some of the things mentioned in this video, but this was the first time I ever saw this information so clearly communicated graphically. It would be especially informative for those who don't really understand the musicality of hip hop and why so many people love the art form.

It isn't a long video, but if you remotely love art of any kind and have an open mind, I think you'll find the video entertaining and informative. The focus is really on complex rhyme patterns and the genius of certain artists. The video shows the progression of the rhyme patterns from being very simple in 1980 to achingly dense ending with MF Doom.

The artists verses profiled in order are Kurtis Blow, Rakim, Biggie, Eminem, Andre 3000, Mos Def, and MF Doom. For those that don't follow hip hop, these are some of the masters of the craft. All of these artists would be on any hip hop head's top 5 list (except maybe KB, but he gets his props for being a founder).

I was inspired to post this video after someone commented in another thread about third grade rhymes. I think this video clearly shows the artists I love are on a Ph.D level.

Enjoy.

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 09:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

Then you get a young one learn this amazing history of mind rhyming to beats... much like this kid... 16 and just started dropping youtube videos. There is some vulgar language in this song... please forgive me if it offends someone.

Great video... and hip hop is the best musical art form to me... when a genius mind voices it!
edit on 27-1-2017 by ttobban because: forgot to add video... oops

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 10:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

Here's my list (s)

No particular order

Top 5 artists (based on musicality and overall appeal)

In their prime

Eminem
Jay z
Kanye West
Lil Wayne
Drake (can't deny him)

Top 5 emcees (based on combination of technical skill, flow, cadence and substance)

Eminem
Jadakiss
Nas
Rakim
Jay z

Top 5 rappers (based on everything including influence and legacy)

Eminem
Jay z
Tupac
Biggie
??

Last slot is up for debate..

Of course these are just my opinions. Not only do I just love hip hop but I love all music and art. I'm also a musician and artist myself
edit on 27-1-2017 by knowledgehunter0986 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 10:01 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 10:21 PM
link   
I literally know nothing about hip hop or rap though I do have Paid In Full by the one rapper listed on a play list.

I spent the 43 years of my life listening to a mixture of The Animals, Pink Floyd, Opeth, Emperor, Dead Can Dance , The Cure and anything that as a similar feel to that.

All that being said, I found the video in the OP to be really interesting and though this style of music doesnt appeal to me, Im really glad I clicked on this thread because it taught me something I didnt know about music..

Thanks for making this thread Edumakated!

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 10:22 PM
link   
a reply to: knowledgehunter0986

I can and will deny Drake lol, but yeah he is talented. I agree with your lists otherwise. Em is straight genius, with the pen and the mic.

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 10:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: opethPA
I literally know nothing about hip hop or rap though I do have Paid In Full by the one rapper listed on a play list.

I spent the 43 years of my life listening to a mixture of The Animals, Pink Floyd, Opeth, Emperor, Dead Can Dance , The Cure and anything that as a similar feel to that.

All that being said, I found the video in the OP to be really interesting and though this style of music doesnt appeal to me, Im really glad I clicked on this thread because it taught me something I didnt know about music..

Thank you for looking. I primarily listen to hip hop and R&B but at the end of the day, I just appreciate good music. Even if I don't consider myself a fan of certain genres, I know talent when I hear it. When I get the goosebumps on my arms while listening, I know it is some good #. I don't care if it country, blues, rock, or whatever. The goosebumps don't lie.

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 10:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: opethPA

Thank you for looking. I primarily listen to hip hop and R&B but at the end of the day, I just appreciate good music. Even if I don't consider myself a fan of certain genres, I know talent when I hear it. When I get the goosebumps on my arms while listening, I know it is some good #. I don't care if it country, blues, rock, or whatever. The goosebumps don't lie.

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 10:58 PM
link   
I can't really make a Top 5 list as there are probably 20 guys that could legitimately claim a spot IMHO. However, I do have an opinion on three that will always be on my Top 5 and this is why:

1) Rakim. Always will be number one and there is a reason he is the God MC. I grew up in 70s/80s and got to listen to his stuff when it was actually out on the streets. As the video mentioned, up until he came out, the rhyming was fairly straight forward. I will never forget the first time I heard him. He literally broke more rewind buttons on tape decks than any artist. I just didn't know someone could rhyme like he did. He was like the first MC that really made you stop and analyze every freaking word and syllable for punchlines, alternative meanings, etc. He completely changed hip hop. He was like the first basketball player to dunk a ball. The first guy to run a sub 10 sec 100 meter dash. The first car to hit 200. He is your favorite rapper's favorite rapper. He has influenced so many great MCs that I just don't see how he can be anything but number 1.

Finally, he has probably the most famous verse in hip hop - "7 MCs"

2) Jay-Z. He is just simply the most versatile MC to grace the game imho. He is like a decathlete. He may not necessarily the best at one thing, but he is damn good at all of it.

3) Outkast. I grew up in East Point, GA and went to school with their producer (Rico Wade). They were the first southern hip hop group to really come out with lyrics. Up until then, southern hip hop was closer to the Miami bass sound. They came out capturing life in Atlanta the way Nas did with life in NY. While I love Big Boi (he can pack like 100 words into a bar), Andre 3000 really captures my mind.

To this day, the only hip hop verse that actually brings tears to my eyes is Andre's verse on Goodie Mob's "Thought Process". His verse talks about growing up in Atlanta and it just beautifully captures my childhood. He says:

"Nobody would die in cops and robbers when we used to play, right?
Huh, the only thing we feared was Williams, Wayne"

The line is simple but so powerful for anyone who grew up in Atlanta in the mid 80s. The first line talks about how simple life was that people weren't getting senselessly killed. But then he follows it up with the reference to Wayne Williams. Wayne Williams was a child serial killer. He killed like 30 young black kids. I vividly recall the fear in Atlanta during that time. A lot of the kids killed were my age and some were no more than 1 person removed from me. I used to play at my best friend's grandmother's house who lived around the corner from Wayne Williams.

After these three, I'd try to pack in:

Eminem
MF Doom
Black Thought
Mos Def
LL Cool J
Big L
Biggie
Ludacris
Raekwon
Big Pun

The list goes on and on. So many greats, so little space.

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 10:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Illumimasontruth

When its all said and done drake will be on the top 5 all time list.. He still has at least 10 years in him.

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 11:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: knowledgehunter0986
a reply to: Illumimasontruth

When its all said and done drake will be on the top 5 all time list.. He still has at least 10 years in him.

I won't deny Drake. He is a beast and he certainly made Meek Mill STFU.

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Ia reply to: Edumakated

Yea its hard making list's that's why I had to break it down into 3 list's and I could've broke it down even more.. In the end its all objective, arguments can be made for so many.. I think that's the beauty of the debate..

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 12:32 AM
link   
Top 5 best lyricists. Solo or group.

Wu Tang Clan,
Public Enemy,
KRS1,
Eminem,
Obi Trice,

Worst 5 lyricists,
NAS
JA-Rule
Snow
Kris Kros
Lauren Hill.

Good post and was nice to go through some old school hits. I disagree with Drake though I find him a bit soft. Bone Thugs and Harmony also had some hits in my time, 80s and ninety's were the era for me. I'm so old I knew Burger king when he was the Prince!

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Rakim
Pun
Big L
Tragedy Khadafi
Ras Kass

Honorable mentions: Cube, BDK, Chuck D, Nas, Prodigy back in the 90s, Inspektah Deck, Ghostface

top topics

join