It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NBC News Shut Down The Breaking News Service

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2016 @ 11:45 PM
link   
(Sorry if incorrect forum section)

For any of you who have used the service called "Breaking News", whether it was via the website BreakingNews or app, you will now have to find a new method of being up to date with the latest and most recent news, including your local news.

On Januray 1 2017, the service was officially shut down and will no longer provide updates and alerts.

Breaking News has shut down operations as of 12 a.m. ET on Jan. 1. Thank you so much for using this service - knowing that we had passionate, engaged people relying on Breaking News made our hard work especially meaningful. In our six-year run, we had the honor of being at the forefront of news, technology and public safety, always focused on verifiable news delivered as fast as humanly possible. We loved doing it. We're going to miss it. Thank you for being on the other end of the screen. - Stephanie

That was the last update sent.

Here is an article on the matter: ARTICLE

This saddens and troubles me personally. I only discovered Breaking News near the end of 2015 and it has done a spectacular job at keeping me updated with everything! I remember sometime around midnight way back, the app gave me an alert that a plane had crashed in Turkey. As the minutes and hours passed, the story evolved and it was a Russian plane that was shot down (this was back in December 2015).
It's really cool to hear about things instantly and watch the stories evolve. It makes you feel so informed and it hooks you in.

That brings me to what troubles me. Since NBC news is the owner of the service and they unexpectedly announced that they will be shutting it down at the end of 2016 (I think it was announced only a few days ago), my tinfoil hat makes me believe that it was shut down because we were too informed on everything. The mass media can't manipulate us or write false information & fake stories if we're too informed and up to date on everything. That and the crazy elections in the US made me think that the service was shut down for those very reasons; We were too informed.

At least ATS still exists

What do you think? Have you used the service? If so what did you like?
Also, does anyone know of any alternatives? I feel so blind now ...

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 12:19 AM
link   
I used it. I just found it about 6 months ago and was shocked when I saw the announcement.

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 12:45 AM
link   
so what, I guess NBC didn`t want to change the name to breaking lies, if this past election taught us anything it has taught us that all the MSM lies,nothing but lies, propaganda and fake news.

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 12:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Kuroodo

You want to follow breaking news watch the new threads come in here and Drudge Report. I'm not kidding.
edit on 1/1/17 by Ameilia because: spelling

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 01:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ameilia

You want to follow breaking news watch the new threads come in here and Drudge Report. I'm not kidding.

Drudge has been pulling more and more from...poor sources. To say the least. Drudge is pretty slow too.

There are a bunch of breaking news apps. They will alert you to breaking news. Not fake news or articles or blogs, but actual breaking news aggregated from many sources and citizens on the ground.

AP Mobile is a pretty good one.
edit on 1-1-2017 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 01:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tardacus
so what, I guess NBC didn`t want to change the name to breaking lies, if this past election taught us anything it has taught us that all the MSM lies,nothing but lies, propaganda and fake news.

The NBC Breaking News app was actually Breaking News...big events. It worked as an aggregator.

I was able to post first here on a couple earthquakes and the crashed train disaster and several other things well before MSM due to that app.

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 01:38 AM
link   
a reply to: reldra

after this past election I don`t care about getting the news first I care about getting the news accurately and this past election has proven that none of the msm can do that.

breaking news? no thanks ,give it to me 6 months from now when the hype has died down and they can give it to me in a semi accurate report.at least then I have a better chance of sorting out the lies, BS and partisan propaganda.
I`m old and patient I can wait for the truth, because that`s all that matters to me, I care nothing about being the first to hear lies.

edit on 1-1-2017 by Tardacus because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-1-2017 by Tardacus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 03:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tardacus
a reply to: reldra

after this past election I don`t care about getting the news first I care about getting the news accurately and this past election has proven that none of the msm can do that.

breaking news? no thanks ,give it to me 6 months from now when the hype has died down and they can give it to me in a semi accurate report.at least then I have a better chance of sorting out the lies, BS and partisan propaganda.
I`m old and patient I can wait for the truth, because that`s all that matters to me, I care nothing about being the first to hear lies.

The service wasn't just a "Breaking News" and flashy news service. It also reported on things like stocks, traffic, accidents, events, local (your location) news, weather, science and discoveries, and all sorts of news.

The local part is pretty great as well. On the 26th my local mall went on lock down cause of an alleged shooting. The app gave me a notification. I made sure everyone I knew that worked there was safe, and kept them up to date on what was being reported.

One of the cool aspects was that it also gave its sources, allowing you to do your own research.

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 03:43 AM
link   

oh, it`s an app, I don`t even have a cell phone and don`t want one,the local news thing sounds good, the local news around here doesn`t tell us anything until 2-3 days after it happened.

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 03:48 AM
link   
Twitter is the best for live as it happens news updates... there are many "Person on the street" subscriptions. I saw the start of the civil war in Syria from a twitter feed from such; there was a peaceful protest in a city park... and much like what occurs in the U.S. the U.K. etc. the state authority showed up and became an agent provocateur to shut it down to kill the message; with riot gear, tear gas etc. unloading it on families and children indiscriminately trying to disband and shut it down...

Of course the people outraged; and rightly so? It's been a shtf senario ever since.

edit on 1-1-2017 by BigBrotherDarkness because: sp.

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 06:34 AM
link   
Look forward to any and all sources of information being regulated.
Any and all news must come from the supreme leader, reading news from a non government source will be punishable.

Welcome to the future of the United States of America.

top topics

join