It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"It's math and logic. I love it"

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 11:15 AM
link   
UTC Annual Report

Compliance with Regulations is in there.

I don't think UTC ever indicated where they would like regulatory relief in this deal.

Here is their corporate governance page for more info on how they throw their money around....

UTC Corporate Governance

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 11:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

originally posted by: Edumakated
There are so many it is hard to even digest it all... everything from OSHA regs, EPA, Healthcare, tax code, etc. It is like death from a thousand cuts. Every time some bureaucrat dreams up some new regulation, it costs time and money for a business.

So, previous to the creation of OSHA, which came about in something like 1970 if I recall, there were insufficient regulations preventing working people being asked to work in unsafe and unsanitary conditions, leading to greater tendency toward serious industrial accidents. OSHA came about because companies could not be trusted to do for themselves, what they should have been to protect both their assets and their workforces. What is it that you have a gripe about with that agency?

And as for the EPA, are you serious? I know it has some flaws, but doing away with the regulation entirely would leave companies free as a bird to dispose of waste any how they please, pump all manner of smog into the air willy nilly, and not blink an eye about it. I know you are smarter than to think that is a good idea! So what is your beef with these regulations specifically?

Let me give you an example. I work in mortgage finance. We are extremely regulated.

You damned well ought to be. No disrespect is intended, but the financial services sector has proven time and again that it cannot be trusted worth a damn to do its own due diligence, respect or protect the investments of customers or shareholders, and sure as hell cannot be trusted to protect the economy as a whole from itself.

There were some new regulations that came out of the CFPB last year regarding disclosures that have been very burdensome. I work at a mid-sized company. We literally had to create an entire department of probably 5 or so new people just to deal with compliance of this regulation. These employees generate absolutely no value to the company. They don't generate revenue and are just a cost of operations adding several hundred thousand dollars to company payroll.

These costs get passed on to our customers in the form of higher rates. So everyone is paying for this useless regulation that made some politician and bureaucrat feel good.

The trouble is, that first of all, the fact that the costs are being passed on to the consumer, is the fault of the greedy individuals who decided that they would rather charge the customer than take a pay cut at the executive level, like a person motivated by something other than greed would. Its not the fault of the regulation itself, and to be absolutely fair, its the industries fault that it failed, had to be bailed out, and is now under the microscope.

In the case of manufacturing, it is lot easier sometimes to just move operations overseas for lower labor costs than to reduce costs in other areas.

EVERY business has to deal with the following formula... Revenue - Expenses = Profit. No entity other than the government can consistently operate at a loss so maintaining profit margins is essential.

Businesses cannot operate at a loss, but even the directors of mid size financial institutions absolutely can and moreover SHOULD be prepared to take a hit to the pocket, if it means not having to charge more for services rendered. You do not start a mortgage company because you are hard up yourself. Thats the sort of business that one only starts from a position of being so loaded, that they could loose a fortune and still have ten more to back them up!

I never said there should be no regulation. The problem is that there is so much coming from all different angles that eventually it gets to be too burdensome for a business to operate. You have village, city, state, and fed regulations all piling up on businesses.

I work for a mid-sized bank. My company's owner started the company at his kitchen table. He has invested and risked his own money in the company. It has grown from just him to about 200 or so employees over 25 years. He still doesn't draw a huge salary. At companies this size, the owners are the first to typically take a pay cut.

What people like you fail to recognize is that all these regulations hurt the little guys moreso than the big guys. See a huge company has to ability to spread their costs over a much larger enterprise while smaller companies don't have that luxury. The bureaucrats don't differentiate between the two. This is why in banking all the banks are consolidating and getting bigger. There have been practically no new banks started in the past 10 years due to the regulator burden.

You see this play out in industry after industry. It becomes harder and harder for new entrants to come into a market because of the startup cost created by regulator barriers.

My industry was extremely regulated and quite frankly, the market imploded due in part to many of those government regulations. In banking, you have one group of regulators demanding you make loans to people who are clearly unqualified and then another group of regulators punishing you for making those loans.

It is clear you have little to no understanding of how business works and what is involved.

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 11:32 AM
link   
In some weird logic, it's ok to give companies corporate welfare in the hope that they'll be so rich some will spill off their plate for the rest of us to lap up.

But it's not ok to help out of work people who were put out of work by this same way of thinking.

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 11:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

My wife is the manager of a credit union branch.
She tells me people will lie and omit information in order to get loans for cars they can't afford.
They then complain to her that she should not have loaned them so much money.
It's pathetic.

She also does 2ND mortgages, oh the regulations on that crap.

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 11:47 AM
link   

I am the director of a company myself, Edumakated. I know how the merry-go-round works.

I happen to think that it should be stopped from working at all, and that zero credit lifestyles should be adopted by any who can afford it, crushing the life out of banking companies and cartels, and ending the perverse trade in debt once and for all, or at least much reducing its power.

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 11:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

My wife is the manager of a credit union branch.
She tells me people will lie and omit information in order to get loans for cars they can't afford.
They then complain to her that she should not have loaned them so much money.
It's pathetic.

She also does 2ND mortgages, oh the regulations on that crap.

Yeah, people really have no clue about banking. I am not defending every bank as there were definitely some shady operators, but consumers aren't totally innocent either. The amount of fraud and lies you see from consumers is astounding.

I recall when the housing market burst people the media would drag out the little old ladies crying about their house being foreclosed on. They never once actually tell the back stories of how that person got to that point.

I remember during the subprime fiasco, you had all these people doing cash out refinances to consolidate debts, etc. We'd tell them take your savings and payoff credit cards, etc and put yourself in a better financial position. Would they do it? Nope. They think because they were saving $500/mo they could go out and buy a new car. They'd put themselves right back in an over leveraged situation. Then when the economy crashed and they couldn't make the payments, they'd be crying about the bank being predatory. Funny, at the closing when we allowed you to take out $50k you were giving us kisses and telling everyone how great we were. Now that you can't pay and the bank needs to foreclose, we are predatory.

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 01:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

originally posted by: pteridine

originally posted by: Zarniwoop
The first thing that comes to my mind is... how can a President elect make a deal to cut taxes on behalf of a state?

What state is Pence the Governor of? What state are the Carrier jobs being saved in?

Pence cat taxes either without the Indiana legislature.

@ Zarniwhoop: Pence did the leg work; Trump took whatever credit comes along.

The legislature is under GOP control.

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 01:32 PM
link   
a reply to: pteridine

Trump took whatever credit comes along

That was my point.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join