It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Needed - a briefing for the US President-elect on the medical consequences of nuclear war

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 12:15 PM
link   
This is the time for NGOs and all health-related non-profit organizations and the public to work together to ask that President-elect Trump receive a briefing on the medical consequences of nuclear war. Is there a precedent? Yes, in the 1980s President Reagan received such a briefing from Helen Caldicott, MD, a nuclear education campaigner, Harvard pediatrician, and a noted author and conference organizer on the medical and biological effects of nuclear technology. If President Reagan could sit through such a briefing, so could President-elect Trump.

The International Physicians for the Prevention of Nuclear War (IPPNW) presented the following position paper on nuclear war health effects when they were formed decades ago. Since then, you may ask,what has changed in the list of health effects? The answer is ... nothing good. Link:

www.ippnw.org...

edit on 11/9/2016 by Uphill because: Added information.

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 12:24 PM
link   
This hyperbole is getting ridiculous, nothing has changed people.

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 12:31 PM
link   
I doubt there is much ignorance left as to the ramifications of even one nuke being exploded, after all we have since experienced Chernobyl and more recently Fukushima. Both have had Profound impacts..... for thousands of years to come.. Or until technology finds a fix. The effects on human, animal and plant life are becoming abundantly clear.

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Obama has 72 days left in office, anything can happen.

However, Russia and many other countries commented that the election results made them take a stress-reducing breath of fresh air.

The only country NOT happy was China.. But aside that, the risk of a nuclear exchange was lessened last night. Unless Obama pushes for WW3 anew.

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 12:51 PM
link   
It was not hyperbole that anyone thought of when candidate Trump asked why the US doesn't use its nuclear weapons:

www.washingtonpost.com...

This President-elect does not "get it" about nuclear weapons effects. Neither did President Reagan until after his briefing by Dr. Caldicott. It was shortly afterward, by the way, that President Reagan arranged his peace meetings with the USSR's Mikhail Gorbachev, with the resulting drop in war threats between leading global nuclear powers.

If you disagree with this post, please supply some documentation for your position. Thank you.
edit on 11/9/2016 by Uphill because: Added information.

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 02:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Uphill
It was not hyperbole that anyone thought of when candidate Trump asked why the US doesn't use its nuclear weapons:

www.washingtonpost.com...

This President-elect does not "get it" about nuclear weapons effects. Neither did President Reagan until after his briefing by Dr. Caldicott. It was shortly afterward, by the way, that President Reagan arranged his peace meetings with the USSR's Mikhail Gorbachev, with the resulting drop in war threats between leading global nuclear powers.

If you disagree with this post, please supply some documentation for your position. Thank you.

The real turning point for Reagan was 'The Day After'.

It and Threads are IMO the two single most terrifying movies ever made. Reagan has made several statements about watching the movie in the early '80s and how it completely changed his ways of looking at the world, and from that moment on he seeked raproachment with Gorbachev. Before that point, he was doing a very good job in ensuring a nuclear war did happen.

I firmly believe that one made for TV movie might just have saved us all.
edit on 9-11-2016 by nightbringr because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Nightbringer and everyone, here is a chronology of President Reagan's understanding about nuclear war and the nuclear arms race:

"The Day After," a made-for-TV movie, aired on broadcast TV on November 20, 1983, according to The Internet Movie Database.

In a DemocracyNow! interview on June 7, 2004, Dr. Caldicott discussed her Spring 1984 one hour and 15 minute meeting in the White House Oval Office with President Reagan, with only Patti Davis sitting in the room, off to the side. Dr. Caldicott advised him of her concern about the nuclear arms race, and the books she had begun writing on that subject. Reagan replied, "I, too, am scared of nuclear war, but I want to prevent it by building more nuclear bombs."

(See her books, especially "A Desperate Passion," for more details on this interview.)

After that meeting, Reagan began arranging a series of three summit meetings with the USSR's Mikhail Gorbachev ... their first summit meeting was November 19-21, 1985, with follow-up summit meetings the next two years. These summit meetings were viewed as ending the Cold War.

This chronology is what I am referring to when I connect the Caldicott-Reagan interview with the Reagan-Gorbachev meetings that ended the Cold War.

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 09:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Uphill

All true.

But as i said, The Day After was the turning point, and his meeting with Caldicott most likely would have never happened had he not first seen that movie. A quote from Wikipedia:

President Ronald Reagan watched the film several days before its screening, on November 5, 1983. He wrote in his diary that the film was "very effective and left me greatly depressed," and that it changed his mind on the prevailing policy on a "nuclear war".

Before the 'change in mind on the prevailing policy', i doubt he would have been open to such meetings.

edit on 11-11-2016 by nightbringr because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 06:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Uphill
Helen Caldicott now remembers meeting President Reagan in Spring 1984, but it was actually a year before the movie, at December 6, 1982, according to the White House diaries, and her earlier self.

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 10:12 PM
link   
SIGH...
NO ,no he will not.
THE PENTAGON is running the battle tactics HE only clears the objective now...civilians.

new topics

top topics

join