It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gmail Wants Your Phone Number

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 10:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: rexsblues
Not to sure about this OP. I created a gmail account for a not so tech savy friend of mine just a couple days ago and as with yahoo, you can 'skip for now' on the phone number.

Me too. Then it bottomed out. Try it for me and tell me what your results are. I'm wondering if it's 'just me' now.

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 10:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

I just had to make a new gmail account for PS4 last month and I don't recall being asked for a valid telephone number. Is this something they just started?

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 10:35 AM
link   

I just tried and made 2 new accounts...no phones. Then threw them away-cancelled. So...I dont knw whats up on your end...

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 10:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: LSU0408

I just had to make a new gmail account for PS4 last month and I don't recall being asked for a valid telephone number. Is this something they just started?

I just saw it for the first time yesterday. I had set up an account less than a week ago.

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 10:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger

I just tried and made 2 new accounts...no phones. Then threw them away-cancelled. So...I dont knw whats up on your end...

It's still tripping me up.

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 10:54 AM
link   

My friend? I have no clue...I wish I could tell /help you! Let us know if/how you find a way around your particular problem, ok?

edit on 15-9-2016 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 10:59 AM
link   
I've made hundreds of Gmail accts. Got some awesome names I can't believe people didn't nab them already. It's the same with domain names, there's plenty of good ones left, blows my mind. People are dumb.

The phone number thing has been going on for quite some time.

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 11:57 AM
link   
There are many apps you can get for free that will provide you with a phone number that is used over wifi. Local area code and all. Typically you will only keep the number for 30/60 days unless you pay. In this instance though, it works perfectly.

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 01:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Azureblue

Now I know why my ISP and a few other providers have been asking me to 'revalidate my details."

Incidentally what happens if you give a false phone number?

Nothing right away. If you need to validate your identity though such as for a lost password or suspicious activity they text you a code these days. So having a number they can text you at is helpful. Of course, that also means they get your name since they'll cross reference the number with that account holder.

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 02:31 PM
link   

can you give them a land line? i have a landline number but dont ever use it so that would work for at least me if they can accept that

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 04:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: RalagaNarHallas

can you give them a land line? i have a landline number but dont ever use it so that would work for at least me if they can accept that

You can, but I think if you're doing that, you might as well give them a cell. The idea to not give them a number is that you want to preserve your anonymity. If you're giving a landline number registered to you, you're giving up the anonymity while also skipping out on the security features giving them a cell phone provides you with.

I suppose if you wanted to remain anonymous but get that security you could use a prepay where you only buy minutes with cash and give them that number.

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 06:38 PM
link   
I use't to have 6 yahoo emils acounts. for 7 years.
I Lost All but one. as you needed a phone number.
if You Lose your phone you Lose the acount!!!!

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 06:42 PM
link   

i meant to post this the other day.

try this one

GMX

posted on Sep, 16 2016 @ 01:58 AM
link   
I Have ran into other site that require texting capable phone numbers. i have a cheap flip phone for emergencies and for low usage personal stuff. id rather not have a cell, but things are to the point you have to have one. im on disability and recently the gobermint made it mandatory for 2 stage verification... with a phone. But they rescinded the requirement for now. (partly due to congressman from my state)

there are throwaway email places online. just do a search.

ThrowAwayMail.com is a disposable email address service. When you visit ThrowAwayMail.com a new email address is generated just for you. The generated email address can immediately receive email. Any email that is received will show up on the main page. No one other than you will see the emails that are received. It is important to note that an email address expires after 48 hours. When an email address has expired, the email address and any received emails will be gone. A new email address will be generated upon visiting this website.

Source

there are others.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join