It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Deflection Much?!?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 02:19 PM
link   
What the hell is the deal with all of the deflection in the political threads?
Damn near every one of them is the same now.

"A did this. Dont vote for them."
"Yea, but B did this, they're no better, vote for A"

This crap is getting annoying people, and is no true way to debate a subject.

I enjoyed Eriktheawfuls thread, asking for people to sell their candidates positively without bashing the opposition. I gotta be honest and say that I truly didn't think it could last as long as it did.

Quit stooping so damn low.
If you can't debate the merits of the OP or the subsequent arguments, then just don't say anything. I'm truly losing respect for quite a few members lately. Members that otherwise can debate brilliantly without using such dirty tactics.

I know this season is bringing out the worst on a lot of folks, but we're ATS. We're NOT the msm comments section, or FB or Twitter.

GET IT TOGETHER GUYS!

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 02:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Chickensalad

Isn't that the way politics works? Divide and conquer, it's an old adage, but it's worked since civilisation started.

Here in the U.K the opposition leader refuses to get into any bickering and name calling. He calls it a new type of politiics, even an adult type of politics, but I think it's a sensible type of politics.

Good shout!!

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 02:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Chickensalad

I know this season is bringing out the worst on a lot of folks, but we're ATS. We're NOT the msm comments section, or FB or Twitter.

This ^^^.

We are better than the average bear. Let's act like it. Let's show the world how it's done. We can do it and have no excuses not to.

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Y'mean like this that you posted on my thread minutes ago?

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 12:04 PM link quote reply originally posted by: SentientCentenarian We have two bad choices and two good choices. There ARE other people running for office, and I don't support Hillary in any way, shape or form, either. Can anyone refute the post, or do Trump supporters not bother to read?
*****************************************************************************************************

Yes, it's pretty damn easy. But, why? It won't change anybody's mind any.

Why bother posting a comment, stating it would be easy to refute the op, but then not bothering because 'it wouldn't change anybody's mind'?

If you can't debate the merits of the OP or the subsequent arguments, then just don't say anything.

Indeed.

I don't know about you, but I come here to debate with other thoughtful minds, and learn.

A post to the effect of 'you're wrong and I could prove it but it wouldn't change anyone's mind' isn't worth the electrons it was written with.

It may not be deflection, but it comes real close.

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 05:14 PM
link   
That's typical today. No responsibility taken for anything. Another is, "Why are you just bashing A. Why not B? It's not fair." What fair? Most times things aren't equal. Does that make a # sandwich taste better than a stale ham and cheese? They aren't equal.

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 05:54 PM
link   
I would say it has something to do with the national tone on this election.

There has really been no focus at all on issues. Instead, the press picks over every sentence Donald Trump utters in an effort to make him look bad and Hillary Clinton pretty much never appears in public anymore because she might get asked embarrassing questions about a scandal that refuses to go away.

The press treats it all like a recap of last night episode of Big Brother and there IS nothing to make threads about other than those things.

So people come in slinging mud and the realization is that everything you say my candidate did, yours already did worse, and my candidate can do anything less worse than yours.

So it's kind of like the nasty mud version of this song.

We don't have policy to argue about. Really, we don't. Not on either side, and I don't see the debates changing that. And I think the press knows that if policy creeps in, the public won't really be fond of Hillary's policy either.

top topics

join