It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

South Africa local elections: ANC loses in capital Pretoria

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 04:37 PM
link   
This is a massive moment in post apartheid South Africa.

Sure the ANC can try and dress it up as much as they like, but this is a warning from the people that things have to change.

Racial politics could be coming to an end, with the people of Nelson Mandela Bay, voting in a white mayor for the first time since apartheid ended.

Times, they are a changing. People are fed up with the corruption, people will end this and it will end ugly.

www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 05:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Cobaltic1978

In the US we're taking a few steps backwards.

We now vote based on skin color or if the candidate has ovaries.

Leadership qualifications aren't really part of the equation.

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 05:06 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

I know, I know.

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 05:11 PM
link   

I know there's been a lot of turmoil (to be polite) in South Africa.

Hope to see that change. Had some friends vacation there last year. They loved it!

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Could this be proof of the Mandela Effect?

JK. I don't believe in the Mandela Effect.

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Here's a pretty cool website: news24 SA elections 2016

At the top of the page is a shortlist of the election results in the major municipalities.
'TSH' is The City of Tshwane, where the Capital City, Pretoria is located.

These are interesting times, indeed. The ANC (African National Congress) has lost some major ground. I gather this leveling will force more coalitions between parties. Particularly the smaller ones. The DA (Democratic Alliance) are the other major party in SA. I don't trust any of them really... I only hope that my vote helps to level the playing field. The ANC have abused their power. Amongst all parties, they are the most corrupt. But they are in control, and SA is not dead yet, gotta give them that! Eh, it's too late for this. All I can say is it's nice to think that this toppling of power, no matter how small, will improve our democracy. It would be really nice to see corruption taken down a notch. South Africa would be so great if even a quarter of the corrupt were brought to justice. So much money is essentially lost each year we could probably have a new, new South Africa built every ten years.
edit on 2016/8/6 by Jimjolnir because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 01:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

In the US we're taking a few steps backwards.

We now vote based on skin color or if the candidate has ovaries.

Leadership qualifications aren't really part of the equation.

Like many countries, the US in the past didn't allow some people to vote based on either their skin colour and/or if they had ovaries. Ability to judge who would be the best leader wasn't part of the equation and in truth probably still isn't. Consider yourself lucky there has been some evolution.

top topics

join