It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My first AR15

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 11:23 AM
link   
a reply to: GodEmperor

This then?

www.dhgate.com...

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 11:27 AM
link   
a reply to: 1MrMarc

Luckily my state allows all handguns and rifles with center fire ammunition for deer hunting.

Only 5 rounds in a mag are allowed.

I'll be checking out the vortex optics, Thanks!

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 11:32 AM
link   
a reply to: cavtrooper7

Definitely affordable, seems to be sold out everywhere, would like to find more reviews on it.

The only review I've found is positive, but I would like to read up on the negatives to get a better perspective.

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 11:34 AM
link   

It seems durable enough although that sight screw needs Loctite Mine has been decent ,but I haven't been an avid shooter lately enough to really shake it down...
I mounted mine on an SKS with a CBRS stock and it holds it's zero fine.

www.ebay.com...
edit on 23-7-2016 by cavtrooper7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Here it is...pictures of my setup and within this thread is a lot of good info on setups and optics.

info and eye candy

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Sounds good. If it's legal and you're confident in your abilities, go for it. Do alot of research on bullet types because you will need a bullet with good expansion and weight retention. A few years ago I made a lung shot on a Javelina at 50 yds and had to make a follow up shot after tracking it down another 100 yards. But they are super tough little critters.

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 11:50 AM
link   

This looks like it has a heavy barrel. Is it? What is the barrel length? Gotta know these things to 'really' help you out here. Also, with the flashlight and the fore grip, it looks to me like you're sporting a CQB setup. So ... I'm already seeing contradictions. But, that's what's great about the modularity of the AR. It just consumes boatloads of cash making changes. LOL

originally posted by: GodEmperor
Now I took apart the bolt carrier, and too my surprise, it was filthy. The firing pin was virtually all black

Be glad. The previous owner was probably not making the classic mistake of 'over cleaning'. ARs are notorious for jamming. The more oil and the dirtier the ammo ... the more fouling one has to expect.

The only mods I'm looking to add on this gun is a scope

If it's a heavy barrel and at least 20" in length, a scope is a good option. 3X9 is great for paper targets. If you're a varminter, you already know what you need.

and maybe a bipod

I've never seen the utility of adding weight to something that was designed to be light. Something improvised to prop your hand guard on is all you'll ever need.

and a sling but not sure what's better a 2 or 1 point.

All personal preference. Mine is 2 point. It's inherently more stable.

Need a few more mags and I'll be all set.

Make sure you test each and every single one. A poorly designed/built magazine is a major contributor of malfunctions. Mark 'em right away if you notice a failure to feed. Toss anything that doesn't work consistently.

This gun is definitely ideal for shooting varmints, I'm pretty sure it's legal to shoot deer with the .223 but not sure about 5.56 rounds.

First ... please don't shoot deer with a pea-shooter. You're either gonna make a mess or you're gonna badly wound the animal. You'll know if that barrel is good for varminting if it's shooting sub-MOA once you've completed setting it up. I hope you're not going varminting with a flashlight attached. hahahahaha

what scope brands to consider.

ATS Link - Read The Last Paragraph

I'll probably need a spare bolt carrier group, and barrel, not planning on selling this thing any time soon.

A spare bolt and a spare firing pin are good to have on-hand. It's good to have a spare parts kit.

Be careful if you plan to dork around with the barrel. Believe me ... you can screw up real bad right here. I'd recommend you buy another complete upper for the AR. Something that's a contrast to the upper/barrel you already have. Unless you plan on becoming a gunsmith ... this advice is the cheaper way to go.

edit on 2372016 by Snarl because: Formatting

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 11:58 AM
link   
If you want to shoot at small targets a scope is best,especially if you wear glasses,The main thing is to get a good one,the cheap mart scopes will not hold zero if they take a hit.I have seen Leupold scopes dropped and bounce off trees and rocks and STILL hold zero,they are expensive but worth the money if you can afford one,Burris,Nikon,Redfield,and higher end also very good.Iron sights are stone cold reliable and for moderate range and good light have done the job for hundreds of years,they also are less bulky.at my age I simply need optics so theres a Bushnell Holosight goin.g on my AR when it arrives.And anyone who doesn`t think shooting full plastic jugs of water if fun has problems.Enjoy your new toy and ALWAYS be safe.

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 12:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: RickyD
Here it is...pictures of my setup and within this thread is a lot of good info on setups and optics.

info and eye candy

Nice thread update, brother.

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 12:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

Thanks, I spent months on different forums and talking with my combat vet buddies deciding on mods and optics and such. I finally settled on what I have pictured in that thread...still have a few items to add but as it is the rifle is ready to do anything but be carried on extended walks (damn thing weighs a ton). I think my favorite mod was that flashlight mount repurposed to hold the Burris fast fire. That tiny piece of aluminum alloy was 40$ but the option it gives for mounting beats anything I found designed for optics. All in all I'm satisfied, now I just need to find someone down here in the Orlando area who will let me go hunt some boar on their land. Aside from being designed to be my combat patrol rifle for serious emergency type situations ...ie end of the world scenarios, it was also setup with boar hunting in mind. The micro red dot comes in handy for very fast swaps to a close range optic in case I get charged unexpectedly.

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 01:11 PM
link   

It's a heavy barrel, 18".

The flashlight came with the gun, not something I find useful so it will probably end up being traded or sold.

The mods represent the previous owner atm, that will change.

I only do a wipe down when cleaning, and lightly oiled.

Thanks for the advice! Maybe will look into a scope closer to $500 range, but honestly I have good eyes and iron sights will do fine even on small targets (assuming the gun is accurate).

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 01:24 PM
link   

a reply to: DAVID64

I am considering a red dot sight, I'm not really familiar with what the quality brands are. Although, a green laser light would be ideal I think. I guess the two main mods would be a decent scope, and either the red dot or green laser.

I did take a picture of it just now, since I recently remembered how to upload pics. Although I can only take pics with laptop, using movie maker then saving a snapshot of a frame.

A red dot sight and a laser sight are two different things. The top brands are from aimpoint and such, but imo very expensive. There are other good ones around for decent prices, but you will just have to do some research. I would pick a red dot optic over a scope because it is more versatile, and great for close up as well as medium distances. Backup iron sights would be a good idea too. And a light. Sling etc. Most of all, stock up on mags and ammo. Mags can be dirt cheap for the AR platform.

Have a look at slickguns. Good prices on everything. Basically a site that finds the best deals. Congrats on your purchase by the way. I wish I had an Ar but cannot afford one right now. For now my shotgun is my primary long gun.

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 02:01 PM
link   
I am claiming the "Mandela Effect" on this one. .223 and 5.56 used to be the same. I was a gun nut back in the day. We went down an different time line man! Far OUT!

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 02:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: tikbalang
Where i live, most people getting this kind of gun are considered up to no good.. But it aint hard seeing how the US got 13k firearm related deaths when apparently anyone can get one..

I do see a problem with anyone who is on a conspiracy site having a AR15, but hey its just me.. or maybe the aliens, or the illuminati, or the Angels...

So why haven't you turned them in?

If you truly know of people who are using or owning firearms illegally then you are part of the problem if you don't take the responsibility to report them for their criminal activity.

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 02:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: introvert

I'm not a fan of most sights. I prefer iron sights.

Oh h#ll yes.

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 02:25 PM
link   
a reply to: tikbalang

There is here. We have 3 gun matches,the best /most trick shooters on earth and we say so.
WE aren't afraid to live.
13K death from a population of 300million and we have YOU in judgement for it.
THANK you for YOUR OWN opinion, I can't hold it above my own because you lack location and data.
edit on 23-7-2016 by cavtrooper7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Alright, I'm going with this.

MAGPUL MBUS Pro Flip-Up Adjustable Sight Set,

That and a strap is probably all I will need. I've taken off the light, don't really have a need for it, and will sell/trade it.

Scope will be later down the road.

Thanks for everything, still I will be checking out all the suggestions!

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 02:46 PM
link   
a reply to: tikbalang

Well I have an AR-10 which looks mean as hell and can do some significant damage, and guess what...I have not once done anything close to illegal with it. I have been a member of ATS and love to investigate conspiracies. I think our government has been the biggest detriment to the US people and I'm sure you could add on many other attributes you would "feel" were dangerous. Yet somehow I've managed to not only cause anyone any harm, but haven't even broken any laws most of which have been over reaches of my innate rights as a human.

How can you explain your opinion of me which you were so eager to share with us here on this thread? How can you make such a blanket statement about people which you don't know much if anything about? Are you one of those people who use stereotypes on others, but as soon as it's one you dislike you cry foul? Do you always make blanket statements? Would it be fair to include you in the stereotype that people of your opinion are dumb and unable to, or are unwilling to open your eyes and see that owning a scary gun aren't all bad? Most are actually good people btw.

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Buy yourself a small parts kit springs, fire control group, buffer spring, firing pin, and bolt.

That's all the spare parts you need. BCM barrels are rated above the 50,000 round mark.

If you're going to put an optic on this weapon spend the money and buy a serious optic that will survive with the rifle.

Spend even more money than that on tactical rifle course and range ammunition.

Everything else is unnecessary, even if it is nice to have.

edit on 23 7 16 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Maybe will look into a scope closer to $500 range, but honestly I have good eyes and iron sights will do fine even on small targets (assuming the gun is accurate).

Ran an EOTech for a while. When they lost that lawsuit with the government, mine went back too ... on principle. Just running iron sights for now, but my AR-15 was never set-up for anything other than CQB. Wouldn't try to point it at anything further out than 200 yards.

That heavy barrel will afford you plenty of accuracy. Send me a PM if it doesn't. If experience is any measure of truth, you're gonna come up a couple hundred yards short of what a 5.56 is supposed to do. That's completely fine, because you're gonna be knocking the stuffing out of any varmints you can lay eyes on ... and hardly anyone can see a squirrel at 500 yards. LOL

This was expert advice:

If you're going to put an optic on this weapon spend the money and buy a serious optic that will survive with the rifle.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join