It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unknown alien rock found in Swedish quarry

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2016 @ 03:12 PM
link   
I know what you're thinking ... another click-bait headline. But this is the one that phys.org chose to use, which is unnerving inasmuch as I've always considered that site to be unbiased and non-sensational.

The "unknown alien rock" is "alien" by virtue of the fact that it is non-terrestrial (not manufactured by little green men). It is believed to be a part of one of the two celestial bodies that collided millions of years ago to form the asteroid belt.

A morsel of never-before-seen alien rock has been dug up in a limestone quarry in Sweden, where it had lain deeply buried for about 470 million years, scientists said Tuesday.

The biscuit-sized remains are unlike any other meteorite found on Earth to date, and may shed light on the history and formation of our Solar System, they reported in the journal Nature Communications.

Dubbed Oest 65, it is thought to be a splinter of a potato-shaped rock some 20-30 kilometres (12-19 miles) wide, which had smashed into another much larger body, sprinkling our adolescent planet with debris.

Previously, remnants of only one of the two rocks had been found, in the form of meteorites called chondrites.

But now scientists believe they have unearthed a piece of the second space orb, boosting the theory of a major smash-up between two galactic travellers.

It is thought that the breakup of the bigger chondrite body, about 100-150 km across, had yielded a major cluster of rocky debris in the asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter.

There are currently two major competing theories on how the asteroid belt was formed. One (which this story seems to suggest) is that it was formed by the collision of two large bodies. This theory is generally ignored in favor of the belt being just the flotsam and jetsam of primordial matter that never formed a planet due to the strong gravitational force of Jupiter.

It still amazes me that scientists can discover a rock, theorize that it is a remnant of a collision, and date it to 470 million years ago.

posted on Jun, 17 2016 @ 04:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Shadoefax

So, if am right in ma thinking, this would lend a lot more credence to the Sumerian texts and their beliefs?

posted on Jun, 17 2016 @ 04:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: fenian8
a reply to: Shadoefax

So, if am right in ma thinking, this would lend a lot more credence to the Sumerian texts and their beliefs?

Which Sumerian texts and beliefs?
etcsl.orinst.ox.ac.uk...

Oh, wait. You mean what Sitchin claimed about them. No, it does not lend any more credence to the existence of Nibiru.

Did you notice the size of the body they are talking about?

posted on Jun, 17 2016 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Oh, wait. You mean what Sitchin claimed about them. No, it does not lend any more credence

Yup, thats pretty much exactely what I was asking. Maybe i should have worded the question better. It`s late.

Also, yes i did notice the size of the bodies they were on about. I don`t believe in Nibiru but the OP does seem to at least point to the fact that there could have been an astral collision, wether between 2 objects the size mentioned in op or the size of Jupiter, which in turn, was the seed from which the Sumerian creation story was built on.

It just entertains me to wonder how the Sumerians got their beliefs and the OP seems to match up with what people thousands of years ago seemed to have some knowledge of.

edit on 17-6-2016 by fenian8 because: because i can`t seem to quote anyone properly anymore

posted on Jun, 17 2016 @ 05:43 PM
link   
a reply to: fenian8

Please publish your find, im interested..

posted on Jun, 17 2016 @ 05:54 PM
link   
a reply to: tikbalang

What find?

posted on Jun, 17 2016 @ 05:56 PM
link   

wether between 2 objects the size mentioned in op or the size of Jupiter, which in turn, was the seed from which the Sumerian creation story was built on.

The Sumerian creation myth contains no reference to a cosmic collision.

posted on Jun, 17 2016 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Sumerian creation myth

posted on Jun, 17 2016 @ 06:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Doesn`t it??????

What the hell am i reading it for then?

Damn you Sitchin, You have some explaining to do next time i bump into yer. The wasted hours.

Still i do find it a fascinating subject. Glad i asked.

edit on 17-6-2016 by fenian8 because: to remove an n

posted on Jun, 17 2016 @ 06:26 PM
link   
a reply to: tikbalang

Well I`ve just found out the book i`ve been reading is a load of shyte so i would`nt ask me. Good theory though. as i say it`s kept me entertained.

posted on Jun, 17 2016 @ 06:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: tikbalang

Sumerian creation myth

Is that the one that describes the "tablet of destinies" as the orbital parameters of each astral object. And there are only three outcomes: stable orbit, being flung out of the solar system or colliding with something else?

posted on Jun, 17 2016 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Another theory could be that the asteroid belt is the remains of Nibiru, so now there's nothing to worry about.

posted on Jun, 17 2016 @ 07:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shadoefax
Another theory could be that the asteroid belt is the remains of Nibiru, so now there's nothing to worry about.

It could be..... it could be. (cue twilight zone music)

top topics

join