It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alphabet Soup.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 02:37 AM
link   
Ahh the things we do to separate ourselves from the common drivel, the things we do to make ourselves seem more superior to our fellow man.

I'm seeing this more and more, especially now after the drive by the US government to get us all to get higher education.

The amount of "alphabet soup" after a person's name is truly getting ridiculous, especially when they tout it in an area OUTSIDE the given degree area.

I see people do it on ATS at times.

"I have a Ph.D (but not saying which field it is in) and I'm smarter then you, and know what I am talking about".

Frankly, I don't care that you have a Ph.D. A Doctorate, or anything else, it could be an A.A. all the way up to a Th.D for all I care because if it's not in the relevant field we are talking about, it's like saying "I have a original Pinto in the garage". Fabulous! You enjoy your car/degree in the proper setting, but on the net, and especially on this forum, it's irrelevant, unless your degree is relevant to the discussion.

A Ph.D in mathematics and theoretical astrophysics.. Fabulous job, getting that degree, but means SQUAT in this discussion of gardening, unless we are gardening in space, at the speed of light trying to escape a black-hole while not upsetting the tomato bushes while using the gravitational force to slingshot ourselves out of the black holes pull.

So, as a friendly word of advice to our wonderfully highly educated people on ATS, unless your degree applies to the conversation at hand, keep your degrees out of the discussion, unless it is relevant, and you can provide authenticity and photos with references for the degree to be verified.

Thank you to those who do have high-end degrees, but no one knows, humility and lack of ego are commendable traits.

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 02:47 AM
link   
Anyone who touts their degree during a discussion is simply overcompensating for a lack of true understanding of the topic. The degree being flaunted is a clear signal that they are almost out of ammo and are getting desperate. Savor those moments! I do.

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 02:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: notmyrealname
Anyone who touts their degree during a discussion is simply overcompensating for a lack of true understanding of the topic. The degree being flaunted is a clear signal that they are almost out of ammo and are getting desperate. Savor those moments! I do.

See, for the sake of a good discussion, I would be more inclined to encourage you to think, or feed you information to work with, especially if you throw out a degree, or as I prefer to think of them as "squirrel-misdirection".

The intellectual side of things is much more fun, especially if people are more fluid in how they approach things, or approach expanding how they look at things.

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 03:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Cygnis

If they are telling the truth and it is a related topic, then that is useful. Your rant is too general.

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 04:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: reldra

If they are telling the truth and it is a related topic, then that is useful. Your rant is too general.

It was intended to be general, as I didn't want to give specifics and point out spots in conversations where I've seen it done on this site, recently.

Tho, to be fair, I have had personal experiences with it lately in day to day dealings.

Like a Dr. paying me for some computer work, and telling me he's an M.D. so he's not stupid, but he can't understand why his laptop won't do something with the Infrared port that it wasn't designed to do (Like detect thermal temperatures, ie take someone's temperature, because ya know, it's infrared port, and he has one at home, and it looks like a gun and it uses an infrared port that looks just like this one to temp out his steaks on the grill). /facepalm

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 07:09 AM
link   
If someone feels the need to tell you they have a higher education to bolster their argument, they are not worth the time or effort. To be quite honest I don't care if they spent more time at university getting drunk every night of the week to obtain that higher status.

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 07:13 AM
link   
I don't need no stinkin' degree I have a 140+ IQ.

And a huge donger.

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 08:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: reldra

He said that in his OP, reldra. Twice.

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 09:25 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus.

Gigglesnort!

Most women know, that guys who say it, will never display it! Because if they're bragging, they're usually lacking!

Sorry, I'm in a good mood & you 'dangled the carrot'! Signed in just so I could reply!
Lol!

WOQ

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 09:44 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

See, I used to have a much higher IQ when I was ten, but have lost thirty points since then.

As for the other thing, I have never been all that impressive in that regard. I play bass though, so rhythm is my best friend.

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 09:45 AM
link   
a reply to: wasobservingquietly

Ask Jacy, she can verify.

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 02:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

I don't need no stinkin' degree I have a 140+ IQ.

And a huge donger.

It's not about what you have,
it is all about how you use it.

Anything above the average, intelligence, body-parts, degrees, only matter if your above average in your use of them.

If you have big smarts, but are lazy in everything you do, it's a poor use.. Having a fancy degree, and fantastical body parts are much the same.

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Oh, I use it. I use it often.

As a matter of fact, I'm using it right now.

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Oh, I use it. I use it often.

As a matter of fact, I'm using it right now.

Explains the short replies, Augustus, one handed typing, I see.

lol

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Actually I am typing using a pencil I am holding with my mouth.

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Actually I am typing using a pencil I am holding with my mouth.

bahahahahaha....

oh lawd....

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 08:24 PM
link   

You don't need to worry about me - My poor associates doesn't amount to much in the forum world. I could brag about it, but I'd rather forget that I actually paid out all that money for a flimsy piece of paper.

However, I will do something similar in the real world - In my line of work, people are either technical or...not. I don't have to invoke the degree for those that are technical. For the non-technical, I will not hesitate to drop something from my past similar to a degree (IE: "As an active grey hat, I'm pretty positive my non-work phone isn't connected to our company's network"; yes, I have said this). This little trick actually helps to move things along when I know how to solve a problem and a non-technical person is holding me up.

-foss

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 01:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: fossilera

You don't need to worry about me - My poor associates doesn't amount to much in the forum world. I could brag about it, but I'd rather forget that I actually paid out all that money for a flimsy piece of paper.

However, I will do something similar in the real world - In my line of work, people are either technical or...not. I don't have to invoke the degree for those that are technical. For the non-technical, I will not hesitate to drop something from my past similar to a degree (IE: "As an active grey hat, I'm pretty positive my non-work phone isn't connected to our company's network"; yes, I have said this). This little trick actually helps to move things along when I know how to solve a problem and a non-technical person is holding me up.

-foss

Oh, I hear you, Fossilera.

And generally, it isn't the ones with Associates, or Bachelors that have the ego, it's the high-ups.

Tho, there were a few, about 15 years ago, when an Associates was a nice mile-stone, but those days are long gone.

top topics

join