It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Labour Party and anti-Semitism

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 12:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cobaltic1978

originally posted by: uncommitted

originally posted by: alldaylong
a reply to: paraphi

The Labour Party in the UK has often been cited as anti-Semitic

If that was true, then pray tell me why The Labour Party has a " Labour Friends Of Israel " fraction within The Labour Party ?

en.wikipedia.org...

Thing is though, when even the Islington luvvie group newspaper the Guardian questions Corbyns ideals on the subject you have to wonder if there is something behind it.......

www.theguardian.com...

Ha ha, so when it suits, you believe what the Guardian says?

The article is dated August 2015, If there is a trace of truth in this, I am sure the Tories would have made more of it, wouldn't they?

I've never read the Guardian in my life - what are you asking me to believe, the fact he said he 'welcomes his friends from Hexbollah' the fact that both he and John McDonnell are on record praising the IRA? Both of those are common knowledge and his favourable comments were brought up on many occasions, but of course a lot of the labour press (Mirror etc.) didn't choose to make much about them so apart from a few editorials - one of which I linked to - it obviously passed you by.

I believe the facts of what was said, and if the editorial I picked at random had gone deeper into analysing them I may have disagreed with the editorial, but I'm afraid whether you like it or not, Comrade Corbyn has got history with this and the facts stand.
edit on 10-4-2016 by uncommitted because: typo

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 12:55 PM
link   

a reply to: Moresby

Which I believe is a very tempered reaction when we are in part discussing a rise in antisemitic killings.

I thought this thread was about antisemitism within the Labour Party?

How many Labour politicians have killed a person of the Jewish faith?

Sorry to drag the thread off-topic. But I asked to clarify my point.
edit on 10-4-2016 by Moresby because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 01:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Moresby I would say most of the Muslim population are probably more anti Semitic than the population as a whole, but labour does represent areas with high proportion of Muslim voters. I don't think any one of the main parties is overtlyantisemitic and any member who made the tweets will be removed from the party membership. There's no place for anti semitism in our society, but it seems it's fine to be anti any other religion in our society. Even I made an assumption in my post here about the Muslim population in the uk. I don't know if most are anti Semitic, just an unfounded guess. if he's been suspended then I don't see the problem and to tar people on the left with anti semitism. Is a bit lame on a day where the prime minister is the main news, not the opposition.

edit on 10-4-2016 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 01:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: and14263
Accusations of anti-Semitism.
A shot of desperation.

A shot of desperation for what?

I am reporting a particular problem - perceived or actual - in the Labour Party. It is irrelevant that the last leader Ed Miliband is a Jew, but it is relevant that some parts of the Party are apparently inclined towards anti-Semitism. Even the Labour Party recognise that there is a problem because Corbyn has vowed to tackle the problem…

Daily Mirror - article

Evening Standard - report

Labour mayoral candidate Sadiq Khan today said he wears a “badge of shame” because of anti-Semitism in his party.

He attacked Labour’s leadership for not taking a “tougher stance” and said he knew what it was to “suffer hate crime”, before adding: “I also know it’s unacceptable in 2016 that there is anti-Semitism in the Labour party.

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 01:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: woodwardjnr
a reply to: Moresby I would say most of the Muslim population are probably more anti Semitic than the population as a whole, but labour does represent areas with high proportion of Muslim voters. I don't think any one of the main parties is overtlyantisemitic and any member who made the tweets will be removed from the party membership. There's no place for anti semitism in our society, but it seems it's fine to be anti any other religion in our society. Even I made an assumption in my post here about the Muslim population in the uk. I don't know if most are anti Semitic, just an unfounded guess. if he's been suspended then I don't see the problem and to tar people on the left with anti semitism. Is a bit lame on a day where the prime minister is the main news, not the opposition.

There has been a current of antisemitism in the left for many, many decades. Both in the UK and the US. And it's troubling. And the fact that there is more antisemitism elsewhere doesn't make it any less troubling.

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 03:15 PM
link   
a reply to: uncommitted

You believe what you want to believe, it's your choice of course. I just find it curious that you chose to post the Guardian article when you could have found plenty of editorials from Tory supporting press, but I guess you had your reasons.

With regards to Comrade Corbyn and McDonnell's links to the IRA, that's probably for another thread, I would suggest.

Are you calling Corbyn anti-Semitic because of his stance regarding Israel's occupation of Palestine, or do you have any evidence he speaks hatred out against Judaism? There is a very big difference and you know that.

edit on 10/4/16 by Cobaltic1978 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 03:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi

originally posted by: and14263
Accusations of anti-Semitism.
A shot of desperation.

A shot of desperation for what?

I am reporting a particular problem - perceived or actual - in the Labour Party. It is irrelevant that the last leader Ed Miliband is a Jew, but it is relevant that some parts of the Party are apparently inclined towards anti-Semitism. Even the Labour Party recognise that there is a problem because Corbyn has vowed to tackle the problem…

Daily Mirror - article

Evening Standard - report

Labour mayoral candidate Sadiq Khan today said he wears a “badge of shame” because of anti-Semitism in his party.

He attacked Labour’s leadership for not taking a “tougher stance” and said he knew what it was to “suffer hate crime”, before adding: “I also know it’s unacceptable in 2016 that there is anti-Semitism in the Labour party.

Again, in the Standard article, Corbyn made his stance very clear, he's against the Israeli Government. The Israeli Government are lobbying Parliament to change the definition of antisemitism to include anyone criticising her treatment of Palestinians. She has many supporters within all parties and she is trying to influence a sovereign country to change a nations mindset.

edit on 10/4/16 by Cobaltic1978 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 12:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Cobaltic1978
The OP is not political. This is neither accusing Corbyn of anti-Semitism (even though he has associated with groups like Hamas), nor is it by pro-Tory.

The post is about Labour's inclination to be anti-Semitic. As stated previously, people often associate anti-Semitism and racism with the far Right, but the Left seems to have problems too. The fact this problem is in the public domain justifies analysis. Turning it into a "it's the Tory press" is just a distraction IMHO.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 05:06 AM
link   

a reply to: uncommitted

You believe what you want to believe, it's your choice of course. I just find it curious that you chose to post the Guardian article when you could have found plenty of editorials from Tory supporting press, but I guess you had your reasons.

With regards to Comrade Corbyn and McDonnell's links to the IRA, that's probably for another thread, I would suggest.

Are you calling Corbyn anti-Semitic because of his stance regarding Israel's occupation of Palestine, or do you have any evidence he speaks hatred out against Judaism? There is a very big difference and you know that.

There is evidence he said the words - what do you mean by 'believe what I want to believe' - it's fact. Sorry if that is something you can't comprehend.

Actually, I chose the Guardian for two reasons; one, if you like it or not it is 'official' media, not a blog, plus it's left wing and known for fawning over the Labour party, it's actually staffed by people such as Polly Toynbee who is just the kind of person who is such an apologist for Labour. As such, a good person such as yourself couldn't accuse me of using a publication that shows an extreme bias towards Citizen Corbyn.

I'm calling him anti Semetic due to his sympathy for terrorists who kill Israeli citizens - is that clear enough? I'm by no means suggesting Israel has no blood on its hands but that doesn't mean killing its citizens with suicide bombs is something a wannabe revolutionary should be praising.
edit on 11-4-2016 by uncommitted because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-4-2016 by uncommitted because: multiple typos

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 07:23 AM
link   
Of course there are anti-Israel elements within The Labour Party, as there are within The Conservative Party.

That doesn't exactly equate to anti-Semitism.
Just because a person disagrees with Israeli policies doesn't mean that they are anti-Semitic in exactly the same way as a person may disagree with US policies but not hate or even dislike American people.

Leftist leaning ideology has been heavily influenced by many Jewish thinkers.

There are also those that firmly believe that Jewish elements, bankers etc, have been the primary drivers of the Capitalist system.

As for Corbyn - the man has zero credibility in my book; a man who will share a platform with known terrorists and refuses to condemn those terrorists whilst criticising our own Armed Forces deserves no backing or respect at all.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join