It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bernie Sanders Predicts the "Panama Papers" in 2011!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2016 @ 02:23 PM
link   

On October 12, 2011, Sen. Bernie Sanders opposed the Panama–United States Trade Promotion Agreement on the senate floor. More that didn't make it to CSPAN:

"Mr. President, the trade agreement with Panama would effectively bar the U.S. from cracking down on illegal and abusive offshore tax havens in Panama. In fact, combating tax haven abuse in Panama would be a violation of this free trade agreement, exposing the U.S. to fines from international authorities.

In 2008, the Government Accountability Office said that 17 of the 100 largest American companies were operating a total of 42 subsidiaries in Panama. This free trade agreement would make it easier for the wealthy and large corporations to avoid paying U.S. taxes and it must be defeated. At a time when we have a record-breaking $14.7 trillion national debt and an unsustainable federal deficit, the last thing that we should be doing is making it easier for the wealthiest people and most profitable corporations in this country to avoid paying their fair share in taxes by setting-up offshore tax havens in Panama.

Adding insult to injury, Mr. President, the Panama FTA would require the United States to waive Buy America requirements for procurement bids from thousands of foreign firms, including many Chinese firms, incorporated in this major tax haven. That may make sense to China, it does not make sense to me.

Finally, Panama is also listed by the State Department as a major venue for Mexican and Colombian drug cartel money laundering. Should we be rewarding this country with a free trade agreement? I think the answer should be a resounding no."

Video was sourced from (Senate.gov)

This is why we need Sanders. The ONLY candidate who has a clue.
edit on 5-4-2016 by Blackmarketeer because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2016 @ 02:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Blackmarketeer

Yes, Burnie, people dont want to pay taxes into a bloated, wasteful, corrupt regime aka our government.

Can you blame them?

My only complaint is that I wish I could avoid it as well.

Was just reading some article that said that the DOD "cant account for $45 billion".

www.thefiscaltimes.com...

I'm sure its more than that. There are so many articles/stories exactly like that one.

Back in 2001 (on 9/10/01 coincidentally), when the government was taking in much less money, they "couldn't account for" TRILLIONS.

And there are some people (politicians and their supporters) who think we should actually be giving our government even MORE of our money...

edit on 5-4-2016 by gladtobehere because: wording

posted on Apr, 5 2016 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Posted earlier here
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add further comments to the ongoing discussion in the above linked thread.
Thanks

**Thread Closed**

new topics

join