It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Person HAS the Right to Discriminate...the Government Does Not

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 02:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

ok - lets take your premise straight to its absurd conclusion

whay if everyone else decided to " discriminate " against one class of people ?

100% no goods // no services // nothing

where does that leave the discrimated against - and more important - what of thier rights ?

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 04:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
A Person HAS the Right to Discriminate...the Government Does Not

Laws are for those with no ethics.
An evolving society has evolving laws for people with no ethics.
One must shepherd the emotionally and spiritually 'challenged' so they do not harm themselves and others.

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 05:17 AM
link   

Stop enslaving individuals and forcing YOUR morality on them.

Same can be said of a business person. Life is a 2 way street. Don't want to walk that road? Then get the hell out of the way!!!!!
edit on 1-4-2016 by IslandOfMisfitToys because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 01:05 PM
link   
You know...

There's a saying, "Something is only worth what someone will pay you for it".

I've seen people exclaim that a comic book they have is worth $500, but never able to seem to sell it for $500. It's because it's really not worth $500. If someone pays $300 for it, that is how much it is actually worth. The same with people's "rights".

The same with "rights". A right is only a right if someone else respects and acknowledges it.

If you run across a group of ISIS guys in the desert, do you think they're going to respect and acknowledge you have a right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness?

You can yell all you want at them that "I have the right to free speech!" .... while they bind and gag you before dragging you away...They've just invalidated your rights and taken them away from you.

"But wait, just because they don't recognize them doesn't mean they don't exist, MM!"

Yes, yes it does. In what practical sense does having rights have when the company you keep takes them away and doesn't respect or recognize them?

So you have a "right" to refuse service -- but if the rest of society has decided that denying service to a group of people based on their sexuality is wrong, that right is pretty much forfeit by communal consensus -- and enforced by laws enacted by man. These laws were made at the request of the majority, which is the only way to keep peace and organize society into a somewhat cohesive unit that doesn't devolve into bands of individualists arguing and fighting so much that nothing is ever accomplished.
edit on 1-4-2016 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 01:36 AM
link   
I fail to see the problem with legislation demanding that adults who cater to the public simply cater to the public and behave like adults.

What is the disadvantage being posed here on the business owner's side of the scale, anyways?

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 01:46 AM
link   

This is True . I Discriminate against People who would want to Kill me , or Steal my Money , or Destroy my Property . The Government on the other hand Cannot .....Ah , Er , never mind.....

posted on Apr, 5 2016 @ 05:23 AM
link   

a reply to: Southern Guardian

This RV park owner should be fined simply for opening his big mouth. At least he is shutting down the park. No more issues.after that happens.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Anyone see a difference here?

I guess it's only ok if it's gays. If it's interacial marriage he sings a different tune..........
edit on 5-4-2016 by IslandOfMisfitToys because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2016 @ 06:05 AM
link   

Hmm, I can see some merit in what you are saying, though I disagree about businesses being able to withhold goods or services based on whatever personal prejudice the proprietor may hold.

Whilst an individual choosing not to have dealings with someone they don't like (for whatever reason) will not result in any actual harm other than hurt feelings...Doing the same as a business can lead to real, honest to god harm, say you are the only pharmacy in some hick town and you refuse the morning after pill to some girl with no car? Or refuse condoms to a couple of gay blokes? You could have done them real physical harm and that just isn't right.

I think if you want to make money off society at large, you need to obey the societal norms and treat everyone equally.

When you are off the clock, its your own business.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join