It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dave Mirra BMX legend, dead at 41 of apparent suicide: Police

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 07:06 PM
link   
I just read this a few minutes ago. Sad to hear about this. I watched Dave Mirra all growing up.

He held the records for most X-Games medals with 24 under his belt. 23 for bmx and 1 for rally car racing.

He leaves behind a wife and two children.

According the police report, officers responded to the 200 block of Pinewood Road for an apparent suicide. They found Mirra, who police said was in the area visiting friends, sitting in a truck with an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound.

Source

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 07:14 PM
link   
I'm sorry for his family.

Thankfully he wasn't in football so they'll be spared the endless speculation over whether or not he had CTE. BMX isn't on the sports hitlist yet.

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 07:20 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I thought the same thing for the most part.
He did though, accumulate lotsa crashes.

He'll be missed.
RIP Mirra

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 07:21 PM
link   
I remember him from the playstation 1 BMX videogame! RIP.

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 07:49 PM
link   

so they'll be spared the endless speculation over whether or not he had CTE.

Not quite. The question is being asked all over the comments sections of basically any article you choose to read regarding this news.
...he did take quite a few of them.

RIP

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 08:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
I'm sorry for his family.

Thankfully he wasn't in football so they'll be spared the endless speculation over whether or not he had CTE. BMX isn't on the sports hitlist yet.

There's a documentary on Dave's career that I don't recall the name of, but he lists his "known" concussions - he must certainly is in the high prevalence cohort. Speculation of CTE is appropriate given the guy's life and circumstances (e.g. having young children at age 41).

RIP Dave Mirra
edit on 4-2-2016 by BeefNoMeat because: Addition

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 08:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mousygretchen
I remember him from the playstation 1 BMX videogame! RIP.

Ditto, I played the hell out of some Dave Mirra BMX. Impressive career, a real shame.

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 08:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jakal26

so they'll be spared the endless speculation over whether or not he had CTE.

Not quite. The question is being asked all over the comments sections of basically any article you choose to read regarding this news.
...he did take quite a few of them.

RIP

Comments aren't the same as in the press.

I feel for the guy and his family, but when it comes to this issue, people need to understand that when you lead an active lifestyle of almost any type, you put your body, including your head on the line.

To attempt to remove the risk of head injury at this point is to remove a large number of physical activities that people find enjoyable and live for.

So we have to ask ourselves: which is worse?

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 09:36 PM
link   
a reply to: denybedoomed

this is so freaking sad.. I grew up playing Dave Mirra Freestyle BMX on PS2 (and later on XBOX)

He was also a rally racer for Subaru - always seemed like a real humble and jusrt incredibly talented dude.

I can't believe that ahh depression can take down Anyone! you just can't escape it, rest in paradise to this legend

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 09:46 PM
link   
I grew up racing BMX in the 80s & early 90s. I was never into the freestyle / dirt jumping scene, but loved to see guys like Mirra ride. He really pushed the limits of what was possible. Sad to see him end his life this way. The sport also lost another great (basically one of the founding fathers of BMX), Scot Breithaupt last summer.

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 10:18 PM
link   
I'd be willing to bet financial situation led to his death. I grew up with ride BMX mag in my book bag dirt jumping and skateboarding, I looked up to Mirra, fuzzy hall, and above all else my dude Matt Hoffman. It is a sad day for BMX and xtreme sports. I hope Dave makes his way to that big rhythm section in the sky!!

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 02:32 AM
link   

That's bloody terrible news.

I saw an awful lot of the fellow on television, and the dude could fly. It's a damned shame.

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 04:01 AM
link   

Sad sad news.
Rest in Peace Champ.

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 04:37 AM
link   
RIP Dave!!!

Since the age of 8 my whole life took place on a BMX bike, for over 25 years.
So this is very sad news.
But maybe now he is riding the ramps somewhere else...

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Dude...

GAH!

Will raise one in your honor at the pub!

I have watched in amazement what this guy did with his bike. Then later in a sports car. Feel awful for his family because they have to deal with the fallout. So sad. Hope you found your peace, bro!

edit on 5-2-2016 by TEOTWAWKIAIFF because: speling

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Sure, I actually mostly agree with you here.

people need to understand that when you lead an active lifestyle of almost any type, you put your body, including your head on the line.

I think most people who lead such lifestyles understand this, but then again, the correlation (which obviously doesn't necessarily equal causation) between depression/anger issues/suicide/the list goes on and TBI are not to be ignored.

I think that going forward it is vital to understand TBIs and hopefully signs can be spotted easier (with increased understanding) and treatment can be [potentially] developed. Knowledge of the warning signs could potentially save lives, so the discussion and the research is a good thing, imo.

"To attempt to remove the risk of head injury at this point is to remove a large number of physical activities that people find enjoyable and live for."

Right. I make this same argument about football all the time. But on the other hand, I don't think most people are saying we should just quit doing things that could [potentially] lead to a TBI (only the irrational say that)....
We're just now starting to really understand this stuff, and there are those that make a lot of money that don't really want this discussion to progress, or even continue.....so, there is that.

So we have to ask ourselves: which is worse?

Well, depends on who you ask, I suppose. Again, I, nor many others are advocating for people to stop that which they enjoy that may [potentially] lead to such injuries but I do think it's actually a healthy discussion.

I've personally suffered a few TBIs....initially from football (played from age 5 to 16)...a few concussions there, one pretty bad neck injury that actually ended my football years. I remember a few iffy concussions from fooling around boxing and the like. Then I had a major car wreck and starburst a windshield with my forehead.

Idk if the correlation is the cause, but I have suffered from depression and anxiety (and anger issues...which some here might actually know about and agree with...lol lol) and even suicidal thoughts at many points throughout my life, especially as an adult.

That said, I cannot point to TBIs being the cause (or the sole cause) because there were other factors that played a role that I'd rather not speak about too much here ("fast times" and all that jazz).

It is something that needs to be discussed, but I agree, right after a guy's death is not the time for the press to push it. The conversation should be had at all times, not just when everyone jumps on the CTE bandwagon and starts speculating online (sometimes with very mean and hateful words that Mirra's, and others, families might run across)........I cannot stand the press for such things. Like vultures, they are, feasting upon the dead to make their bucks.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Oh man just been under a rock this last week and found out about this, Like many I have watched his runs with amazement.

The source I came across with the article however says "self inflicted gunshot wounds" ...

www.cyclingweekly.co.uk...

I will go with a lack of information at the time of release but a confirmation would be good..

RIP

RA

top topics

join