It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Happy People: A Year in the Taiga"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 10:07 PM
link   
This movie, about two hours long, delves into a year of a trapper and his village on the Artic Circle in Siberia where winters of -50 below zero are common. ('Don't know if F. or C.) Not just trappers, they are variously skilled in hewing canoes, building log structures, fishing, etc., but surprisingly enough, little actual hunting. Every single day they must use their wits, and strength for survival. A broad-headed axe with a short handle is the primary tool of these stoic people. The main character describes how he was set down in late summer of the 1970s with no knowledge of the region, with few supplies and managed to survive the winter alone and eventually thrive to current times relying upon his own abilities and later join with other trappers and member of the sixty person village.

Netflix: Happy People: A Year in the Taiga

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 12:11 AM
link   
"You can take away anything from a man. His wealth and health and such like. But you can't take away his craftsman skills. Once you learn a trade, you'll always know your trade for the rest of your life. You agree? Naturally, pick up things from others as you go along. A bit here, a bit there...add your own little improvements."

I wonder if he's aware that he has acquired fame in the west.

I teach wilderness skills to a group of kids on the weekend. I've shown parts of this documentary to them as example. I often ask them...what would Gennady do? Its like he's there watching over us, guiding us...like a big furry headed guy in the sky...

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 05:21 AM
link   
Thumbs up for Herzog

One of the best he's made imo a part from those with Kinski off course.

It's been some years since i watched it, but never forgot about it.
Recommendation to everyone, not just those interested in 'survival practices'. Very well put on the screen with some amazing photography.

join