It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Students advised to stop chanting 'U-S-A, U-S-A' and 'air ball'

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 12:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Eilasvaleleyn

If America has any sacred cows it's sports.
Football and basketball, people lose their minds over games.
Yet the PATRIOT ACT could be passed without so much as a mumble.
Screwed up priorities, I have several friends who are exactly like that.
"Hey man, your house is on fire!"
- "Just a sec, they're first and goal"

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 12:53 PM
link   
When does the book burning start and in which Obama/Hillary/Bernie voting states do they take place?
edit on 13-1-2016 by PresidentCamacho because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 12:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Eilasvaleleyn
a reply to: Deaf Alien

To start, I take issue with this statement.

perpetually-offended generation.

I love the irony, I'll assume its intentional!

Back to the OP:

This is pretty status quo at this point. Stating that this incident is where it has crossed a line is fascinating to me. Though, I suppose it will mostly be dictated by our perspective.

Its so very interesting to see how a new type of socialization, coupled with tried-and-true control mechanisms, is resulting in behaviors and society shifting to what seems to be a 'new' paradigm.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 01:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deaf Alien
Why not take down the scoreboards? They might hurt some people's feelings.

Am I allowed to applause you? Because even though a score doesn't shout and taunt, it still communicates victory. And in a world where it seems we're more sensitive than ever, that might start to matter.

But seriously there're many people who feel sports isn't about winning, it's about discipline and teamwork. And that's true.

It does seem it only requires a few people to cause trouble or to be bothered for something to be censored or rule laden.

And there're so many rules and censors we're having to be robots to stay ahead. Human-robot hybrid. It reminds me of this:

Microaggression:
www.theatlantic.com - How Trigger Warnings Are Hurting Mental Health on Campus...
en.wikipedia.org - Microaggression theory...
edit on 1/13/2016 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 01:25 PM
link   
What does school sports and politics have to do with each other?

Our country has many international students. I kinda have to agree with the school.

Now, the Olympics --- that's totally different. That is country against country. That's the proper place to chant USA USA.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 01:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Asktheanimals

If America has any sacred cows it's sports.
Football and basketball, people lose their minds over games.
Yet the PATRIOT ACT could be passed without so much as a mumble.
Screwed up priorities, I have several friends who are exactly like that.
"Hey man, your house is on fire!"
- "Just a sec, they're first and goal"

That cracked me up. I remember once as kid we had a huge thunderstorm, tornados, hail, the whole 9 yards. It was bad enough that we had the mattresses in the hallway trying to shelter in place. The power went out while my dad was watching the game and during this huge storm he was out in the car listening to it on the radio.

My mom was yelling at him to come inside and he was like no its the 4th quarter. I guess i know why I love football so much.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Omg the schools asked the community to do this, end if the world and of course obamas fault. He probably called them directly and told them to do this. People have their panties in wad over this too, really ironic. Get over it, the kids are gonna do it anyway I bet.
edit on thWed, 13 Jan 2016 14:14:30 -0600America/Chicago120163080 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Yes a fine idea. Keeping score is also discriminatory against crappy athletes. Probably should outlaw that and just issue all players a World Champion Trophy.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 02:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Eilasvaleleyn
a reply to: Vroomfondel

You know nothing of what you're talking about and simply wish to marginalise an entire generation as "spoiled brats." Participation awards are universally reviled, they are marks of shame. They are the equivalent of a white pointed cap with the words "Dunce" on the front.

I say this with absolute certainty: Receiving a participation award hurts someone's feelings more than receiving nothing.

Actually, I have a pretty good idea what I am talking about. I didn't say anything about an entire generation. That is aggression you carried over from other posts and projected on to me. Thanks for identifying yourself as that kind of person. I know what to expect from you from now on.

My comments were directed at the pc culture, which is more a reflection of the younger generation than the older and wiser. Of course there are exceptions to every rule which is why we try not to paint with such broad strokes. Whether you like it or not it seems that most children today have not learned even the most basic respect. They do have a bizarre sense of entitlement that other generations never had. At least none I was familiar with.

If you believe "spare the rod and spoil the child", then yes, there is a generation that was spoiled. When it became wrong for parents to spank their own children, the children gained leverage they did not have the maturity or wisdom to use. Abuse is never tolerable, but a smack on the rear end goes a long way to correct unacceptable behavior.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 02:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deaf Alien
Why not take down the scoreboards? They might hurt some people's feelings.

Haha...reminds me of an episode of Everybody Loves Raymond - The T-Ball Experience.

Frank actually kept score at the game. The touch-feely everybody gets a trophy coach told him there are no losers, everybody is a winner. And he said something like, "Yeah, well the score is 54 to 38 - and we would be winning this game if your kid wasn't out in left field eating grasshoppers..."

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 02:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: angeldoll
Unbelievable. Attempts to control our behaviors have become frightening. I think it's time for some good ole hippy era sit-in's.

Oh now, what have you got against PC? It's just about being polite. I'm sure you just want to go around being a racist/bigot/homophobe and not be called on it.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 02:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: WeRpeons

PC today is really getting ridiculous. Back in the 70's yelling "air ball" after a free throw or coming up short on a shot during a basketball game was common! There was a high school whose mascot was a Trojan. High school kids back than used to yell out "pop the Trojans!" I remember parents in the stands would laugh at that.

It's all in good fun. Some people need to get a life.

I know, and it's part of the game. There is a reason why you have a home court advantage in sports and this is part of it. You get a certain amount of harassment from the home crowd along with it's noise.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 02:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

originally posted by: angeldoll
Unbelievable. Attempts to control our behaviors have become frightening. I think it's time for some good ole hippy era sit-in's.

Oh now, what have you got against PC? It's just about being polite. I'm sure you just want to go around being a racist/bigot/homophobe and not be called on it.

OMG, I should have just read a few more replies and I would have gotten there.

Is equally stupid. It just hurts the anti-PC crowd to be unnecessarily uncouth. Rather than portraying the fight as what it is supposed to be (avoiding ridiculous restrictions on personal expression), it just makes it appear as assholes arguing for their right to be assholes without suffering negative feedback. You don't convince someone that the current trend of PC is a bad thing by calling them a "sh*t-eating c*m-dumpster" or some variant thereof.

Congrats on the aiding and abetting of this nonsense.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 02:37 PM
link   
My reply to the PC weenies. . . .

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 02:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Vroomfondel

Oh, that's like that car commercial where the kid hands his dad the trophy and dad looks at it and takes off the plaque and writes champ on it.

edit on 13-1-2016 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 02:41 PM
link   
a reply to: jonnywhite

I learned a lot about winning, what it means and doesn't mean, and how to act from sports.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Tell the WIAA to go # off.
Wisconsin Interscholastic Athletic Association, www.wiaawi.com..., Ph:715-344-8580,
Chief Official: [email protected]
Public Info: [email protected]

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 02:52 PM
link   
As a life long Maryland Basketball fan...Good luck getting them to stop chanting "Over-Rated!" Especially in any games with Duke!

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 03:19 PM
link   

I have to commend you for standing up for your generation. A great many young folks are too tied up in meaningless activities to actually participate in meaningful conversations about political correctness , politeness, and civility.

You don't convince someone that the current trend of PC is a bad thing by calling them a "sh*t-eating c*m-dumpster" or some variant thereof.
I've not used that particular combination of words before. It does have a ring to it though. I will forthwith add that to my list of insults. Thanks!

-dex

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 03:41 PM
link   
I have no problem whatsoever with people taunting and belittling one another, but unless you're engaged in some kind of meaningful protest or sacrificial cult ritual a la Temple of Doom, chanting in unison just makes you come across as a mindless choad.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join