It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Windows Users: Upgrade or Change Browsers ASAP

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Heads up for anyone using Internet Explorer 8, 9 or 10, Microsoft is officially ending their support tomorrow for anything except the most current version.

Source

You will be vulnerable to any new attacks or hacks discovered if you don't upgrade to the latest version or switch to Chrome or Firefox (or Safari). Of course, this doesn't mean you'll never ever be vulnerable, but you're almost guaranteed to be if you remain on a browser with no support for security updates.

If you have a laptop or personal device that you use for work, you could potentially put your employer at risk as well.

~Namaste

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 10:54 PM
link   
I've only ever used IE to download an alternative browser.

It's a good heads up to those who do use it though. They are really pushing that upgrade. Everyday I have to click it off my PC. I don't want it, but they don't seem to care.

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 10:56 PM
link   
a reply to: SonOfTheLawOfOne

Thanks for the heads up.

But I am going to keep using what I have. As long as I keep using my malware and virus protection, I don't think I have anything to worry about.

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 10:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

I think most people will just hop over to Chrome or Firefox. Chrome seems to be pulling ahead of the others but IE is still used by a ton of enterprises where it's just too expensive for them to upgrade tens of thousands of computers, so they've been procrastinating.

Microsoft is making a killing in custom support for those businesses. They pay a hefty premium to continue to get support directly from MS, but there's only so long that it will last.

Better to just upgrade now and get it out of the way, there's no sense in holding on to browsers that are older than the iPad.

~Namaste

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 11:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Informer1958

Thanks for the heads up.

But I am going to keep using what I have. As long as I keep using my malware and virus protection, I don't think I have anything to worry about.

Malware and virus protection can be bypassed and are constantly fooled by clever virus signatures that haven't been identified yet, and on top of that, your computer can be attacked directly through your browser with a virus or malware that disables your protection services completely. If you're using Internet Explorer, it's a matter of if, not when.

Why do you think you always have to update your virus definitions? (it's probably automatic, but it happens) It's because they are always finding new viruses and have to add them to the library on your computer for it to recognize it.

But hey, it's your identity, not mine. If you're really that attached to your browser, why not go all in and depend on your anti-malware and anti-virus, and forego updating your operating system while you're at it? lol

~Namaste
edit on 11-1-2016 by SonOfTheLawOfOne because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 11:14 PM
link   

I use puffin. I'm not sure why, I think someone here recommended it...

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 12:01 AM
link   
I am so happy that I have a Linux machine with Firefox...

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 01:06 AM
link   
So is Microsoft Edge the new Internet Explorer or is that just something else? It came with Windows 10.

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 01:39 AM
link   
a reply to: darkbake

Edge is a redeveloped Internet Explorer that as of now is exclusive to Windows 10. Internet Explorer 11 is still the standard on all Windows 7 and 8 machines. They did a hell of a lot in Edge to make it more mainstream like Chrome, and they made sure it ran fast as well. It's not really anything like the old IE.

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 03:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: SonOfTheLawOfOne

originally posted by: Informer1958

Thanks for the heads up.

Malware and virus protection can be bypassed and are constantly fooled by clever virus signatures that haven't been identified yet,

So.. that'd also mean that an updated browser is just as vulnerable to any new attack, until a flaw is identified, right?

I've only ever had any torjan/virus infect me when I've downloaded a dodgy program from a site I knew was suspect, but was not thinking... didn't sandbox.

Man the anti-M$ threads today.. lol.. so much disinfo.

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 03:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: madmac5150
I am so happy that I have a Linux machine with Firefox...

I'd hate to be driving an old VW beetle that has no indicators and leaks fluids everywhere, when there are brand new cars around built for modern roads.

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 08:52 AM
link   
a reply to: laminatedsoul

Man the anti-M$ threads today.. lol.. so much disinfo.

How is this thread anti-MS? The OP's info comes straight from Microsoft. Support for the said browsers is ending, and there will be no more security patches released for them. That also means developers will not be writing code to work with them any longer. Which means they won't work well with newer websites/programs, and will also become more vulnerable to attack. No disinfo. Just folks who don't want to hear they might have to make some changes.

edit on 1/12/2016 by Klassified because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 10:44 AM
link   

If the WH, FBI, CIA, DOD, DOJ, etc. Can be hacked, I am pretty confident nothing little old me truly do to prevent intrusion on my computers. I do have proper securities in place, encryption needed for my work.

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 11:53 AM
link   
a reply to: SonOfTheLawOfOneI never get any IE related updates or emails. They simply do not arrive on my Windows 7 computer. I use Firefox, for 99.98% of the time. Once in a blue moon I need a different browser to download a file. When that happens I use Opera.

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Hmmm, I'll need to go for a different browser then, I refuse to use Chrome.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 09:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
Hmmm, I'll need to go for a different browser then, I refuse to use Chrome.

Firefox or Opera are suitable replacements.

I hear a lot of members talking about suitable security. I assure, there is no such thing. It's like standing in sand during an earthquake, the ground is always shifting when it comes to technology and security. It's more about how many layers of defense and detection can you put in place to deter the majority of hackers. Using outdated or unsupported software, operating systems, web browsers and extensions are equivalent to leaving your spare key to your house under the doormat.

Most hackers go by undetected, it's so stupid cheap to pick up a laptop or a tablet that can be used for nefarious purposes and thrown away once the MAC address is used up after connecting from a Starbucks outside where there's no cameras. Someone can sit down with their laptop, pretend to be a wifi hotspot and have everyone routing traffic through their computer before it goes out to a website, with tools that strip the SSL from your transmission, thereby allowing them to see all of your data being transmitted. They never have to get in to your computer, but those who do will do pretty much the same.

The only thing secure is what goes on in your own head. Everything else is prey.

~Namaste

join