It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Homelessness

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 10:00 PM
link   
I feel like I am reposting to another thread......but here it is.

Reagan took away the mental help institutions in the 80's. The actions Reagan took left a very vulnerable population. Instead of placing people with needs in a psychiatric facility, it seems that for profit prisons were a better solution. Homelessness has become such catastrophic problem that it causes rifts with communities at large. Those with drug problems and more severe psychiatric problems have been marginalized to all be criminals and they are left to fend on the streets. This helps no one and harms many.

Our world would be a safer place if we realized the placement of people in appropriate environments would be beneficial for all of society.

But by God, we must spend trillions on defense and cull any funds to help those that can't help themselves.

We have lost our way as a civilization when we treat people with such disregard. It would behoove all of us to seek compassionate care for those that can't help themselves. It's sicker how we have become so hardened to those less fortunate. Pathetic really.

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 10:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

There's no money in it. There's no room for profit, so government may pay lip service but that's about it.

The city/town where homeless exists needs to take care of this BY the people living there.

We need to open our homes and our hearts to those who need it.

Now with that being said, I'll be the first to admit that I don't want someone living in my house who is on drugs, booze or has mental issues.

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 10:16 PM
link   
a reply to: BubbaJoe

Nope, I'm saying they *should* be allowed to either pick themselves up and succeed, or not. Their life, their choice. How arrogant to assume it is or should be any of our business.

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Back in my day there were plenty of drug addicts, bums, and crazy people. But we didn't have homelessness as such. Because there was plenty of cheap shelter available in flop hotels and run down apartments in the poor side of town. But since we've opened our borders the demand for housing has skyrocketed, which means some are left out. And exporting all the jobs, leaving people unable to provide, has also led to homelessness.

It's like the game of musical chairs. At the end of the day there are more people needing houses than there are housing units.

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 12:38 AM
link   
a reply to: starviego

Exactly that I mean here in Vancouver/portland total vacancy for the area is 2-4% so even if you get a section 8 voucher or other housing voucher you will have a tough time finding anything at all and most landlords do not want the hassle of government paperwork. I might still end up homeless even though I will have a HUD/VASH voucher.

Last I heard a long time ago the normal section 8 wait time is 7-10 years maybe more now so crisis is the right word.

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 01:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

Here's a hard fact of science: It's a self correcting problem. You let each individual hit rock bottom on their own volition, and then you let them choose whether to fight for their own life and turn things around, or if they choose not to fight it is their own choice. You cannot force someone to want a better life so much that they'll change their own life to get there, so why should that time, effort, and money even be wasted trying to force it?

This is the attitude that the UK courts have taken, to the frustration of some, when charges of anti-social behaviour are brought before them. It is predictably common for the judge to conclude that "they will change when they want to change" and dismiss. They're right of course but regular people, with homes and indoor plumbing, don't want to see those flailing around at the bottom. They want them put away, or as I have frequently heard, put out of their misery with "a bullet to the head". So while the judges are right there remains a problem of choice in how to get back up and the longer you have been homeless, outside of normal society and behaviours, it is imperceptibly difficult to get back up. And equally, when it is the only community you have had, it is often more painful to realise you have to turn your back on that family to make it out alive yourself.

I come into contact with the homeless community where I live in the course of my job. Over the 4 years I have been here I have developed friendships with some of them and although every story is different, there is a pervading history of institutionalism. Some of the guys I've met purposefully cultivate their appearance, behaviour and odour as a shield against personal invasion. They use aggressive body movements to push you out of their space. It can take years to get them to drop that facade and let you inside.

Literacy too remains a huge barrier to getting help. There is less shame and stigma attached to an inability to read and write, and provisions made to remedy it, but with men and women who have been passed from one institution to the next all their lives, it is almost impossible for them to let down their guards. Damage to cognitive processes too is a key factor, from trauma, exacerbated through substance abuse and poor nutrition. For some, the only option would be to forceable detain, forceably detox and forceably retrain...which as the courts know, is no long term solution and one that invariably leads to recidivism.

Last winter there were four deaths in the homeless community here, two of them were accidental overdoses, two clear suicides, one, Craig was devastating. The kid never stood a chance and the world kept #ting on him. A year before he died, staying in a hostel, some kids had taken an empty syringe, injected him with air - for the laugh. He was then so manhandled and mistreated that he got a secondary infection that left him dependent on crutches. Given the choice, he went back to the homeless community rather than suffer more institutional "care". He wanted to get out but the routes out were just as hostile as what he was leaving, and the light was too far off to trust.

On a brighter note, I bumped into my friend Des on Monday night. I haven't seen him since the Summer. I got a big hug! After over ten years of chronic homelessness, the last 3 of which he has been in front of the courts no less than 20 times, he has taken the steps to change. Has detoxed and been clean for 3 months, has his own "gaff" too. He's climbed Everest, but he's the exception that proves the rule, and it remains to be seen if he can maintain it. It can be harder and lonelier contained in four walls, than it is in the biting cold but with others to share that misery.

It's a tough one. People who lose their homes are one thing, those who have never had a real home and the sense of security that entails, are a different kettle of fish.

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 07:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs

I'm not in the habit of proving other people's presumptuous claims correct or incorrect...

That's the claimants job.

In other words, you can't prove me wrong, but that won't stop you from making smug comments.

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 08:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Every now and then I'll buy a combo meal for a bum. I never give money.

Really curious as to what solutions there might be?

What you just did. You can't fix it, every one is on their own path in life. We are all from here, planet earth is our home. "Homeless" is a media stigma, a derogatory term used to keep people thinking of them as less than.

Giving them something like a meal, flashlight, poncho, gloves, cap, etc. is what they need, not our advice or solution. They are exactly where they are supposed to be, right now.

Your solution is a kind gesture, directed not at solving their problems but at making their day just that little bit easier.

Lifes difficult enough. Lend a hand once in a while. Whats that set you back?

If I see someone who really looks down and out, I don't have a problem buying them a meal. However, I've been around the streets long enough to know when I am being played for a sucker. As I mentioned, one area I go has a lot of regular homeless who run all kinds of games to scrape up a dollar to buy drugs.

I am conflicted internally because I know a lot of them are responsible for their own situation and until they hit rock bottom and decide to change whatever in their lives, there is absolutely nothing that can be done to get them off the street. I feel like every little kind gesture just further encourages them to continue doing what they are doing instead of getting to that point to where they will change.

At the same time, I see many who are clearly mental cases. Seriously a beer short of a six pack. Under no circumstances will they ever be normal. I don't like them on the streets, but at the same time, society cannot forcibly remove them either. Do we just take away their rights for their own good?

I live in a very liberal community that offers a lot of services for the homeless. It is ironic because we hardly have any homeless here. However, because we provide the services, we attract homeless from other areas. It infringes on the quality of life of many of the actual residents - bums jerking off in the public library, numerous burglaries, and other petty crimes.

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Utah had a good plan a while back.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 08:24 AM
link   
why dont we try to rehabilitate them?

it seems like on society in most situations we dont place enough emphasis on rehabilitation but rather just tossing the person aside, locking them up in jail, or merely giving them food/ shelter which does not solve the issue in the long run.

life is mostly a mental game or puzzle even. there has to be a way to flip the switch and encourage them to start thinking then behaving in the most favorable way

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 08:30 AM
link   

I feel like every little kind gesture just further encourages them to continue doing what they are doing instead of getting to that point to where they will change.

Every little gesture makes the world go round. You can't fix them, right? You're just easing their pain a little tiny bit.

You're not preventing them from getting help, you're helping them. I understand the conflict. The conditioning we all received form early on is from the state. The story of the 'evil' trolls under the bridge is implanted in every kids mind.

So glad your conscience has wrestled with this false imagery and is winning.

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 08:32 AM
link   

In those cases I believe homelessness is a choice. They choose to be homeless. I think its a mental disorder but I don't know what to call a disorder that keeps you from wanting to better your life.

I know of a homeless guy who had many friends and family that tried all they could to help. He was a very good-looking boy in my highschool and I used to have a crush on him. Drugs were some of the problem, but he seemed to want to live under a bridge and be...homeless.

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Just posted this in another thread about eugenics. It fits here as well.

www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk...

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 10:30 AM
link   
a reply to: chewi

so sad, at least he had friends that were there while he died and that cared for him. There are many people in this world (filthy rich) that don't have that.

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 10:37 AM
link   
a reply to: veracity
That brings comfort. Knowing money will not buy what he had and the love now felt for this unknown soul.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join