It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Steampunk watch - Horology - Watchmakers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 10:01 PM
link   
I've seen a lot of cool stuff made with old watches put together forming a unique watch, I'm a kinda guy who loves making things.

Are their any watchmakers in here? Who could give some tips?

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Love steam punk even before it was cool. There is another ats member can't remember the person avatar but this person makes really amazing stiff in steam punk style using watches and other stuff. I bet he or she will add to your thread. I think the avatar is something starting with the letter M. Check out pintrest there is heaps of steam punk images on there. There is even steam punk festivals all over the world.

posted on Nov, 14 2015 @ 02:43 AM
link   
I think Steampunk is beautiful - absolutely elegant - but I'm afraid I don't know any onsite watchmakers. Hope someone finds your thread! I tried doing some work on a steampunk type mod by cobbling together some parts and bands from different retailers a while back, but I sold the watch and don't have any photos of it anymore.

Hope you find what you're looking for.

Good luck.

*bumping because awesomeness*

posted on Nov, 14 2015 @ 03:55 AM
link   
There is a thread here where someone showed off their creations, I don't remember what they titled it. I still cringe over the thought of antique pocket watches being destroyed for the art. I would buy them all up if I could afford them. They originals need to be preserved.

posted on Nov, 14 2015 @ 07:30 AM
link   
Here is a neat one.

www.boredpanda.com...

posted on Nov, 14 2015 @ 07:34 AM
link   
a reply to: rajas

There is a guy in Brooklyn (or is it Manhattan?) that I read about who does art/objects like this. I will see if I can locate the article and post/link it for you.

Many of his items are for sale, I saw a few at Obscura which was featured on Discovery.

posted on Nov, 14 2015 @ 08:00 AM
link   
Here are a couple steam punk things i made using antique watch parts. I have a few more pics on here of the otheres ive done. Of course these are just for show, no moving parts or anything.

edit on 14-11-2015 by Macenroe82 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2015 @ 08:13 AM
link   
a reply to: calstorm

I understand and agree completely. I still worry old typewriters might get snatched up and turned into "jewelry" or pretty but non-functioning knickknacks when there are plenty of newer components out there en masse....same applies to watches. Everything I did was of newer design - very very recent work - just band replacement mainly....originals and antiques should be kept safe. Thank goodness for the new market. I hope more kids take heed of that ethos and let the past remain as reminders of history in proper manner. Newer parts are less expensive and eaiser to source in bulk.

I really only know of a couple of coffee-table and art books showcasing proper steampunk craft techniques with newer components but the titles escape me right now. If I run into them at the bookstore I'll update with some titles....I just can't recall offhand any ones that focused on watches and/or watchmaking exclusively at the moment.

a reply to: Macenroe82

Those are really pretty.
Beautiful work.

edit on 11/14/15 by GENERAL EYES because: added reply

posted on Nov, 14 2015 @ 10:44 AM
link   
a reply to: rajaswhat do you mean parts from old watches to make new watches? If you want a working watch that would be near impossible but if you just want a art piece it could be done. Pocket watches are about the only thing with big enough parts to make something steampunky. If you want to get creative with a easy to work with movement I would look at the ETA 6497. Large and can be made cool.

posted on Nov, 14 2015 @ 11:27 AM
link   
a reply to: DrakeINFERNO

Yeah, i sat down and studied watch making, ETA mainframes ( valjoux ) and got the basics. Do you have anymore models you can recommend?

posted on Nov, 14 2015 @ 03:16 PM
link   
a reply to: rajas7750 is a large chrono you could probably do some cool stuff with. More expensive though for sure but much higher quality. Old pocket watches would be my recommendation. You can get cheap non working ones and they are usually pretty steampunk already and you could do a cool frankenproject.

top topics

join