It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Important Notice Regarding Church Hoax!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 02:53 PM
link   
There are several very well prepared websites which purport to be Christian but which are in fact anti-Christian!

One example is www.landoverbaptist.org... .

There are others. These sites are put together by a well resourced and bitter individual who despises Christianity and is looking for a way to get his own personal revenge on it!

Anyone with a degree in Kindergarden class should be able to see that. If a person does not, then it is because he/she really has no interest in correct reporting at all but is just looking for someone else to agree with his/her personal biases.

Surely there is at least one poster here who has more sense in his/her head than a vacuum and can post the truth of the matter.

I am more appalled at some posters' willingness to believe a lie more than the lie itself simply because its fashionable and feels good going down!

��

[edit on 3-1-2005 by sozzledboot]

Edit: Fixed caps lock on the title.

[edit on 3-1-2005 by ZeddicusZulZorander]

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 02:59 PM
link   
I actually enjoy going to Landover Baptist. It's good for a laugh.

And what's really laughable is that some people really believe it to be true. Check out some of the reader emails to see how gullible people are.

Just like I don't think there is anything wrong with a parody movie, I don't feel there is anything wrong with a parody website.

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Just as laughable to think any of it is true.

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 03:05 PM
link   
There is nothing wrong with a parody website? What about a parody medical website? Or a parody suicide website?

Once it becomes fun to make fun of everything, then there is no such thing as a non-parody and everything is free for all. I believe they call it anarchy!

Statistically, most will believe the truth of parody sites even to their own hurt.

The problem is not sites like Landover: the problem is those who would have had faith in anything at all but no longer will.

Am I being too extreme? I don't think so. I worked with the RCMP on a case involving a parody suicide chat room.

At least one of the chatters committed suicide.

Go ahead, parody your life away.

As for me, I take some things seriously.

��

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 03:07 PM
link   
I actually go to Landoverbaptist.org on a regular basis. I swear those audio files have got to be the funniest darned things I have ever heard. Or the "Speak in Tongues" G-String.....

There is an article that they had last year about demons in your colon. It is freeking funny. What is even funnier is that this is not the first person I have seen or heard that thought it was a serious thing.

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 03:08 PM
link   
sorry about the caps thingy.

I think my fingers were in passion mode.

Thanks for the reminder.

��

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 03:15 PM
link   
My hands down favorite was the Holy Ghost Halloween costume.

www.landoverbaptist.org...

Seriously though, the only time a parody site goes too far is when an individual allows themselves to go too far.

It is up to one to know their limits.

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 03:18 PM
link   
I forgot about the best one of all. I don't know if they still have it up, but "Pastor Fred Smith" did an hour long interview with the Infidel Guy. It is long, but if you are just sitting around playing on your computer, it is very entertaining!

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Just as a matter of dull interest (which I'm certain many will in fact find dull),
I am a Christian.

A Christian is not necessarily a nice person but he/she is a saved person.

Saved from what?

I liken it to this: imagine a shopping mall wherein there are many shops, and many doorways leading in to those shops.

Then imagine a fire breaks out.

The only door of interest at that point becomes the EXIT door.

The trick is not to try to discover what Christianity is all about by popular opinion; the trick is to be able to discern when one's hiney is on fire!

I agree that the prevailing state of Christianity sucks! But I am not going to trust my soul to the vagaries and opinion of others, even in church circles, when it's my hiney that's up for grabs (no pun intended).

��

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 03:47 PM
link   
I, too, am a Christian and find quite a bit on Landover insanely funny. While my knee does jerk sometimes when I'm on it, I largely can find scathing indictments of the current state of Christianity...at least under Dubya. And that is:

JESUS TOLD ME TO HATE YOU!

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by sozzledboot
Just as a matter of dull interest (which I'm certain many will in fact find dull),
I am a Christian.

A Christian is not necessarily a nice person but he/she is a saved person.

Saved from what?

I liken it to this: imagine a shopping mall wherein there are many shops, and many doorways leading in to those shops.

Then imagine a fire breaks out.

The only door of interest at that point becomes the EXIT door.

The trick is not to try to discover what Christianity is all about by popular opinion; the trick is to be able to discern when one's hiney is on fire!

I agree that the prevailing state of Christianity sucks! But I am not going to trust my soul to the vagaries and opinion of others, even in church circles, when it's my hiney that's up for grabs (no pun intended).

��

well thats as may be, but if people are saved on the basis of who believes, and not of their morality, actions or ethics, then I'd rather not be saved.

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 03:57 PM
link   
I cannot speak for anyone else, but if Christ died for me, I don't take pleasure in a site that mocks what He died for!

Anyone can call themselves a Christian, just as easily as pinning a carboard name tag on a lapel.

But a Christian is known by their fruits, not their claim to The Name!

��

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 03:59 PM
link   
How is it even liguistically possible to extract what you have based on my post?

A Christian should very much care about morality, ethics and actions, but save the person first, get the person out of the fire, then worry about getting that person in gear concerning more important matters!

Does a fireman ask "did you give to charity this week?" to the person being rescued? Salvation is a rescue from a fire! It is not a manifesto on how to impress the heck out of society by good works and snappy robes.

This also raises an interesting point about the gospel: it IS that easy to be saved. Just believe! Waiter...check please!

I wouldn't give you a plugged nickel for the behaviour of some of the people I know are saved but are still in Ethics 101.

They are saved, and they will be in Heaven, even if I have to put in a transfer to the other side of the streets of gold just to get away from them.

��

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 04:09 PM
link   

There are several very well prepared websites which purport to be Christian but which are in fact anti-Christian!

Comment:

Okay you looked at the above website, which is a parody.

Now the real thing:

Now the question, which insults most Christians the most?

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 04:16 PM
link   
That is not the real thing. It too is a parody like Landover.

I am really surprised by your visible willingness to believe a lie.

A little research on your part should reveal egg on your face.

��

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 07:16 PM
link   

That is not the real thing. It too is a parody like Landover.

I am really surprised by your visible willingness to believe a lie.

A little research on your part should reveal egg on your face.

��

All right sozzledboot. I did some research and it looks like you owe Skip Shipman an apology.

Read below from the Anti-Defimation League's website.

www.adl.org...

About The Westboro Baptist Church

At the funeral of gay murder victim Matthew Shepard, they held up signs reading "No Fags in Heaven" and "God Hates Fags." According to their Web site, they have staged "20,000" protests across the nation and around the world in the last decade.
Virulently homophobic, the Westboro Baptist Church has picketed the gay community at hundreds of events nationwide. Many of its fliers emphasize the race or religion of these individuals.
They believe that "God's hatred is one of His holy attributes." They are the congregants of the Westboro Baptist Church of Topeka, Kansas.

Incorporated in 1967 as a not-for-profit organization, the virulently homophobic Westboro Baptist Church (WBC) considers itself an "Old School (or, Primitive)" Baptist Church. The Church is led by the septuagenarian Reverend Fred Waldron Phelps Sr., and many WBC congregants are related to Phelps by blood. His wife, several of his children and dozens of his grandchildren frequent the church.

While WBC has picketed the gay community at hundreds of events nationwide, most of the individuals protested by the Church are not homosexual. In fact, WBC most often targets people it mistakenly claims are gay or those it believes to be encouraging homosexuality. Many WBC fliers emphasize the race or religion of these individuals, suggesting that the Church's hate spreads beyond its abhorrence of homosexuality. What appears to be anti-gay rhetoric is often a vehicle for WBC's anti-Semitism, hatred of other Christians, and even racism, though in the 1980s Fred Phelps received awards from the Greater Kansas City Chapter of Blacks in Government and the Bonner Springs branch of the NAACP for his work on behalf of Black clients.

Trained as a lawyer, Fred Phelps was disbarred in 1979 by the Kansas Supreme Court, which asserted that he had "little regard for the ethics of his profession." The formal complaint against Phelps charged that he misrepresented the truth in a motion for a new trial in a case he had brought, and that he held the defendant in the case up to "unnecessary public ridicule for which there is no basis in fact." Following his disbarment from Kansas State courts, Phelps continued to practice law in Federal courts. In 1985, nine Federal court judges filed a disciplinary complaint charging him and six of his family members, all attorneys, with making false accusations against them. The Phelpses fought the complaint but lost. In 1989, Fred Phelps agreed to surrender his license to practice law in Federal court in exchange for the Federal judges allowing the other members of his family to continue practicing in Federal court.

In 1991, WBC staged its first public demonstration, targeting a park in Topeka allegedly frequented by gays. Thousands of protests have followed, and WBC shows no sign of slowing down. In addition to speeches on the picket lines, the Church spreads its hateful message via faxed fliers and "News Releases." These faxed documents also appear at WBC's notorious Web site, Godhatesfags.com, along with photos of Church pickets and a schedule of upcoming demonstrations. A second WBC Web site, Godhatesamerica.com, contends that the United States is "doomed" because it supports gays. According to Fred Phelps, "God invented the Internet for us to preach on."

The following quotations from WBC materials and other sources expose the Church's views on Jews, gays, Blacks, Christians and the United States. WBC's own words best demonstrate the wide range and disturbing nature of its hatred.

Or do you think the Anti-Defamation League is a parody as well?

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Thank gods omeone finally has the cojones to notice this. In that spirit, i urge you to visit

objective.jesussave.us...

where people are trying to SHUTDOWN LANDOVER BAPTIST!!!!!...

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 07:34 PM
link   

There are others. These sites are put together by a well resourced and bitter individual who despises Christianity and is looking for a way to get his own personal revenge on it!

Well I wouldn't worry too much about people taking that site serious. The "What would Jesus do? - Thong" is pretty much a dead give away that it isn't exactly what it seems or claims to be.

BTW, does anyone know what the problem is with 'Baptist Churches' lately?? Some lady where I work was saying that the Baptist Church here where I live and where she goes to church is in the process of changing their name because they don't want to have 'Baptist' in their name anymore. She mentioned something about why but I didn't get the whole story and so I'm still wondering what exactly all the 'hub-bub' is all about.

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 07:52 PM
link   
I happen to think Landover is quite funny. Aren't you, sozzled, supposed to be a good Christian and "turn the other cheek"?

Edit: I just found this page at Landover, I can't stop laughing! www.landoverbaptist.org...

[edit on 3-1-2005 by iceofspades]

top topics

join