It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SETI May Have Detected Intelligent Radio Signal from Strange Dimming Star!

page: 12
<< 9  10  11   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 12:42 AM
link   
Though I'm still skeptical about all the ET-related and Dyson theories,
I'm surprised no one has yet mentioned about malfunctioning of Kepler Space Telescope.

Kepler ST had its failed reaction wheels repaired and came back to operation around mid of 2014.

Now here is a timeline of Kepler ST issues related to KIC observation.

March 5, 2011 - First shot taken, observed by Kepler
July 2012 - Kepler's 1 of 4 reaction wheels fails
February 28, 2013 - Second shot taken by Kepler
May 11, 2013 - 2nd of 4 reaction wheels fails causing halt of mission (requires at least 3 of 4 necessary to planet hunting)
December 18, 2014 - Kepler K2 mission repaired and succeeded, back to normal operation with an exoplanet photo shoots.
April 2015 - KIC 8462852's predicted 750-day dip was not recorded due to Kepler reaction wheel failure?
May 2017 - Next observation scheduled for KIC 8462852.

Just little strange that April 2015 observation was missed.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 11:54 AM
link   
For the people saying radio tech is primitive, keep in mind this 1 very important thing.

Efficiency.

We probably haven't achieved 100% efficiency with anything. A race that can will definitely utilize it. So what is defined as primitive can be significantly advanced, just not as pretty and as techy as you'd imagine it.

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 09:09 AM
link   
What if radio waves only exist and are specific to us given we live in Earth and its resources available. What if other civilizations in other planets living in other conditions with other/different resources have other types of technology where radio waves don't even exist. Something totally new and unique to their own living conditions and resources available.

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 09:25 AM
link   
SETI is still looking for signals oct.,26.
It's still so very exciting!

following up on the possibility that the stellar system kic 8462852 might be home to an advanced civilisation...

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 12:01 PM
link   
I've been thinking about this since last post and I came up with 'what if , if this is a wormhole, what if the exit/entrance is on the other side of our sun'??

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 12:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: chosonone
Though I'm still skeptical about all the ET-related and Dyson theories,
I'm surprised no one has yet mentioned about malfunctioning of Kepler Space Telescope.

Kepler ST had its failed reaction wheels repaired and came back to operation around mid of 2014.

Without diving into the specifics (and kudos for doing so) I do remember reading that the team spent time exhaustively examining the data for any potential and real malfunctions with Kepler before releasing the data.

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 12:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: anticitizen
if they have oil, they of course are terrorists and we will have to bomb them into democracy!
a haliburton probe is already on its way!

the white house meanwhile surely thinks about creating a no fly zone around this star.

Now that right there is funny!!!

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 12:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Peeple

It will be interesting whatever the answer..

"As long as one of those events occurs again, we should be able to catch it in the act, and then we'll definitely be able to figure out what we're seeing," said Jason Wright, an astronomer at Pennsylvania State University

"The simplest measurements we can take — just looking in different wavelengths [of light] — should rule out, or suggest, alien megastructures right away," Wright told Space.com.

And follow-up is proceeding on other fronts as well. A number of optical telescopes are watching the star, waiting for another multiday dimming event to take place. Once such an event begins, large scopes outfitted with spectrographs will swing into action, studying and monitoring the various wavelengths of light emanating from KIC 8462852, Wright said.

"That'll tell us what that material is that the starlight is being filtered through," he said. "It'll tell us if maybe we're looking at ordinary astrophysical dust; it'll tell us if we're looking at gas."

www.space.com...

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 10:29 AM
link   
** UPDATE **

'Alien Megastructure' Mystery May Soon Be Solved

The mystery behind a strangely dimming star could soon be solved.

Astronomers around the world are keeping a close eye on the star KIC 8462852, which has dimmed dramatically numerous times over the past few years, dropping in brightness by up to 22 percent. These big dips have spurred speculation that the star may be surrounded by some type of alien megastructure — a hypothesis that will be put to the test if and when KIC 8462852 dims again.

"As long as one of those events occurs again, we should be able to catch it in the act, and then we'll definitely be able to figure out what we're seeing," said Jason Wright, an astronomer at Pennsylvania State University. [13 Ways to Hunt Intelligent Alien Life]

"The simplest measurements we can take — just looking in different wavelengths [of light] — should rule out, or suggest, alien megastructures right away," Wright told Space.com.

KIC 8462852 is a large star that lies about 1,500 light-years from Earth. The dimming events, which were observed by NASA's Kepler space telescope between 2009 and 2013, seem too substantial to be caused by an orbiting planet, many astronomers say.

Another plausible explanation — a planet-forming disk — doesn't seem to make sense, either, because KIC 8462852 appears to be a mature star whose planets (if it has any) have already formed.

So scientists are entertaining a number of other ideas, hypothesizing that the dimming might be caused by a swarm of exocomets or perhaps even some type of orbiting alien megastructure. This latter possibility is unlikely, researchers stress, but it's still worth checking out. Indeed, astronomers have aimed radio telescopes at KIC 8462852 to search for signals that may have been generated by intelligent aliens.

And follow-up is proceeding on other fronts as well. A number of optical telescopes are watching the star, waiting for another multiday dimming event to take place. Once such an event begins, large scopes outfitted with spectrographs will swing into action, studying and monitoring the various wavelengths of light emanating from KIC 8462852, Wright said.

"That'll tell us what that material is that the starlight is being filtered through," he said. "It'll tell us if maybe we're looking at ordinary astrophysical dust; it'll tell us if we're looking at gas."

click link for remainder of article

posted on Nov, 16 2015 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Hello all i am reposting this comic strip that was printed from earlier this month i found on another post pertaining to this story, also i have been trying to read more about this particulr story, there hasnt been major updates but bits of info have been posted, ill post more links tomorrow if i get a chance, in the meantime something to keep this going in case u ll didnt catch this, although it is a comic strip, it seems basically written explaining what they think it could be.
Source:
www.gocomics.com...

edit on 11/16/2015 by H34T533K3R because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2015 @ 01:40 AM
link   
An update from a related thread: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Just in case it wasn't posted here yet.

Peace.

posted on Nov, 17 2015 @ 01:44 AM
link   
a reply to: AceWombat04
"No. Nothing yet." Is an update?
How is that different from what we had before?

posted on Nov, 17 2015 @ 02:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

It is to me. It's more recent, and spells out clearly that their observations turned up nothing, as opposed to the previous articles which claimed "the mystery may be solved within days," or something to that effect. It also points out that further observations will be possible in a little over a year, something I for one was unaware of and thought others might be as well.

I'm sorry if it doesn't meet with your approval.

Peace.

posted on Nov, 17 2015 @ 02:11 AM
link   

as opposed to the previous articles which claimed "the mystery may be solved within days,

I must have missed those claims.

posted on Nov, 17 2015 @ 02:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Well I certainly saw one or two. Granted, you know... mainstream media hyperbole is always a factor. Nevertheless, what I've posted is recent and imho salient information. If you disagree, so be it. It was an update/news to me, so I posted it in hopes it might be of use to others.

The most pertinent points for me being

As for the KIC 8462852 star? Fischer said that astronomers will need to wait for the pattern to come around in orbit again, but that will take over a year to happen. In the meantime, there is a campaign among astronomers all around the world to continue observing the star and report if they see anything unusual.

www.wpr.org...

And

"It's a bit disappointing that the ATA didn't see anything, but not entirely unexpected," Jason Wright told CBS News. "The ATA is a pretty small telescope array, so it would take an outrageously powerful transmitter -- pointed right at Earth and broadcasting in an obvious way -- for them to have detected anything."

www.cbsnews.com...

YMMV. Peace.
edit on 11/17/2015 by AceWombat04 because: Added links

edit on 11/17/2015 by AceWombat04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2015 @ 02:31 AM
link   

I appreciate it.
Let's wait another year for the next nothing! So sad...

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 09:43 PM
link   
For those interested...

The latest reports are leaning that the objects may be a swarm of comets, but still mainly speculation as it has not been confirmed yet.

www.nasa.gov...

posted on Nov, 26 2015 @ 07:33 PM
link   
a reply to: H34T533K3R
Just to point out...

They would need to be awfully big comets pretty much something unheard of.p, either way something new

What if a planet or moon got broken up into pieces for mining purposes and those huge chunks are what blocked a good chunk of the stAr hmmmmm
edit on 11/26/2015 by H34T533K3R because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2015 @ 10:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74
Finally I hope.
Maybe we will then all realise it shouldn't be human v human but human v aliens and we can all band together in harmony and kill the alien scum.
Unless they are hot.

What if they are all really hot?
What if they only send their hottest females with the soul purpose of mating with earthlings to enhance their own peoples' race back home?

What if every able bodied man with a working johnson was put to work in "greeting camps" where they paid you $200 for every alien hot chick that you boinked? With a limit of 10 shags or $2,000.00 per 24 hours.

Amazing times ahead for us all

To go where no man has gone before...

<< 9  10  11   >>

join