It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia proposes Massive Superhighway that will make it possible to drive from U.S. to Europe

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2015 @ 12:03 AM
link   
What an exciting idea, imagine if you could ride your bike across. You wouldn't have to drive across the US, Canada, and Alaska...You could fly to Alaska and rent a car. Recreating the land bridge sounds cool. S&F

posted on Oct, 25 2015 @ 12:27 AM
link   
a reply to: game over man

Given the 50 + miles the crossing would be I will stick to a car.. preferably one with heat in it

i do think Russia would be in a perfect position though to develop those islands with hotels and what not.
edit on 25-10-2015 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2015 @ 12:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

i do think Russia would be in a perfect position though to develop those islands with hotels and what not.

If you are speaking about the islands in the middle of Bering strait, one of them belongs to USA.
Such as only 2km separating between Russia and USA

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Oct, 25 2015 @ 12:49 AM
link   
a reply to: kitzik

Yeah I know there have been issues with the indian? population who falls on both islands between the 2 countries. Since they have the larger island it only made sense.

Maybe make them an international peace park with proceeds going to the locals to help preserve their history. that way they can go back to the way it was before international boundaries and paranoia got in the way on both sides?

Put in an international welcome center with history on both countries.

Ironic really the nick names of both islands.. tomorrow Island and yesterday Island.. A perfect description of US-Russia relations in the the future and past are acknowledged while we both remain in the stormy present.
edit on 25-10-2015 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2015 @ 01:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Cygnis

I've driven through some desert areas before and I've never been comfortable with it. The types of areas where you might see 1 car per hour, have no cell phone service, it's 100+ degrees, and you're a good 90 minute drive in any direction from any sort of help. I get scared of an auto breakdown in those types of situations, and still I would take that 10 times over to not be in the middle of Siberia when my car breaks down.
edit on 25-10-2015 by Aazadan because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2015 @ 08:59 AM
link   
What a fabulous idea! I would LOVE to do it!

posted on Oct, 26 2015 @ 12:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

I've driven through some desert areas before and I've never been comfortable with it. The types of areas where you might see 1 car per hour, have no cell phone service, it's 100+ degrees, and you're a good 90 minute drive in any direction from any sort of help. I get scared of an auto breakdown in those types of situations, and still I would take that 10 times over to not be in the middle of Siberia when my car breaks down.

We'd be crazy not to build industry along the road, and hire people to work emergency services along the entire route as well.

Just think, more gas/hydrogen/electric stations. Oil/lube places, lodging, truck-stop type places, and souvenir shops. You could have eateries, and little cafes. Just think how much you'd do just having coffee shops every 140 miles? (every 2 hours, stopping for another coffee to keep...going...must...make...my...destination).

Could spur quite a bit of jobs.. Maintaining the road, too.

posted on Oct, 26 2015 @ 04:39 AM
link   

I think they should add on the whole maglev / bullet train being talked about by china. Might as well push for top of the line technology.

posted on Oct, 26 2015 @ 04:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra

I think they should add on the whole maglev / bullet train being talked about by china. Might as well push for top of the line technology.

Yea, that would certainly be nifty too. Would have a lot less potential for accidents, etc.

Tho, it depends on the speed of the train, and such too. 300mph? 1,000mph? (Honestly don't know much about the current state of maglev train tech, so forgive my ignorance).

posted on Oct, 26 2015 @ 05:01 AM
link   

We would need to look at Japan and China since they seem to be ahead of everyone else. I think it would be cool to get as many countries as possible involved with the maglev portion. Maglev routes from the capital cities involved to North and south America would be cool.

posted on Oct, 26 2015 @ 08:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

Did you look into ET3? It's maglev capsules inside an evacuated tube. The energy is recaptured during deceleration and only needed to accelerate. It's a global open consortium. If we're gonna go maglev we should do this right.

posted on Oct, 26 2015 @ 10:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Cygnis
We'd be crazy not to build industry along the road, and hire people to work emergency services along the entire route as well.

That's tough to do in parts of Russia. Like eastern Nevada some areas just aren't fit for habitation.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join