It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Interstate 95 closed in SC from I20 in Florence SC to I26 due to flooding

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 09:51 PM
link   
a reply to: SCGrits

Grits, I'm not familiar with the area, so not sure how far from the Lake Marion Bridge this area is.

I did, however, find it odd that the article referenced a 13-mile stretch in the first paragraph (with 18 small bridges within???) and then later talked of the 75 mile closure of 1-95 we're all aware of. Do you think the 13-mile statement was a typo? (Because 18 bridges within 13 miles?)

Oh, and you're quite welcome... glad I could help!
edit on 10/9/2015 by new_here because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Also, I'm now wondering about all of the bridges in Cola, not to mention small towns between there and the coast. I mean, if those bridges on I-95 were compromised (you KNOW they were built to last, to withstand even HURRICANES) then what about the gazillion other bridges that were subject to all of the rain/flooding???

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Ok I'm back for a short while
Just want to thank Mods DontTreadOnMe and ArMaP for figuring out & fixing my tech issues!! Thank you!!!

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 02:22 PM
link   
a reply to: new_here

Do you think the 13-mile statement was a typo? (Because 18 bridges within 13 miles?)

No it was not a typo (then again maybe --see below). I know exactly the area they are probably referring to: Hwy 261, exit 119, to the South, coming out of Manning, which was very hard hit w/flooding during the storm, and Hwy 378, exit 135, to the North, going to Sumter, which is practically at my family's back door.

This area is swamp land with lots of bridges. There is actually a road in Sumter called 12 Bridges Road! My family stories include the one where dad had to cross 12-13 bridges at night just to cross the swamp to date my mom!! (This was before the interstate system--just local roads --often dirt --and those skinny scary bridges you come across ever so often that are still on some of the back roads) True love indeed.

I'm thinking that b/c these swamps drain from the Sumter area --The Pocotaligo on the South side of Sumter, the Black River from the North side, and that ponds were breached in that area that DHEC hasn't mentioned but residents have in this Thurs 8 Oct Sumter Item newspaper article

Although there were no officially reported breaches in dams in Sumter and Clarendon counties, residents have reported some lakes and ponds that were breached, including dams at Swan Lake, Boyles Pond and Twin Lakes. Meanwhile, public officials are monitoring three area lakes and ponds for possible breaches - Lake Cherryvale in Sumter and Lake Ashwood and McGrits Mill Pond in Lee County.

and from the comment earlier on 5 Oct from ThorFourWinds on page 3:

Just got off the phone with our friend Jim Lee (ClimateViewer.com), and he is high and dry personally, but Sumter is virtually cut off from the rest of the state due to flooded roads.

I'm thinking there was a sudden wall of water that created a massive debris float/log jam scouring out the swamp area, taking down weak trees as it roared and raged through the swamp land and ended up pounding the south bound side of i95. I would luv to be down there taking pics but job, obligations, money and transport prevent me at this time and it's killing me!!! So frustrated.

Something like this as what happened last Sunday on a secondary road in York Co near Carrowinds --see the trees down hitting the bridge? That's just from the 5-7 inches we got here -(Rock Hill is 45 minutes northwest of me) --area around Sumter got over 20 inches
From The Rock Hill Herald 3 Oct

I'm assuming the worst and after the waters recede, expect to see pics like these that came from the floods in Texas earlier this year:
AFTERMATH OF 2015 TEXAS FLOODS

Just on a whim, after I typed all of this I just checked the #SCDOT and they've confirmed my suspicions just 2 hrs ago:

EDIT to add: ok-- just re-read your original question and it may be that ABC got their numbers mixed up: 13 bridges in an 18 mile stretch of road as per SCDOT and not 18 bridges on a 13 mile stretch of road as per their ABC article. Either way -there is a lot of bridges on such a short stretch of road!

edit on 10-10-2015 by SCGrits because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Also, I'm now wondering about all of the bridges in Cola, not to mention small towns between there and the coast. I mean, if those bridges on I-95 were compromised (you KNOW they were built to last, to withstand even HURRICANES) then what about the gazillion other bridges that were subject to all of the rain/flooding???

Exactly! Monday after the storm there was an 18 wheeler that was crossing a bridge on Hwy 15 north of Sumter and his front end went thru a bridge, how it did not go all the way thru I'll never know. Tore up his front axle --they were trying to figure out how to get to him w/ a semi-towtruck, fearing the bridge would collapse further with the extra weight of the tow truck!! What a pickle --don't know how they got him out. Sumter Item link

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 05:11 PM
link   
To anyone/everyone reading this thread that has family or friends in the flooded zone and are helping them recover, the following advice from me, someone who has experienced this %$#@ first hand in the past, the following info may prove useful:
SCDEC is

For those who require a tetanus vaccination, there will be no-cost Tdap (tetanus, diphtheria and pertussis) vaccination clinics this weekend. For information about locations, please click here.

I strongly advise you to get a tetanus shot b/c

With all those vile nasties from flooded septics and sewers, if you get cut/scratched from handing debris it can cause problems. My doc had me get a tetanus shot when he saw the scratches on my arm from my cats; my sig other got one when he got cut from a saw that went sideways on him. Tetanus = lockjaw and is a real threat.

Also keep in mind that all those mosquito bites that aren't usually nothing become an issue when you break the skin and are handling flood damaged items covered in muck or wading thru flood waters. Neosporin and/or triple antibiotic salves are your friend.

Which leads me to -- OFF Mosquito repellent with Deet is a good thing --Lord have mercy the skeeters 'bout carried me away yesterday. Although we didn't get near the rain they have we still have alot of standing water in pots etc that need to be dumped--skeeters breed in standing water and I'm sure there will be an explosion in the skeeter population after the running flood water recedes due to standing water.

Gloves --Rubber gloves - the cheap kind you use for washing dishes - are great. I about damaged my hands for life after scrubbing my floors/house with 50/50 mix of bleach to kill the nasties after our flood. The skin was coming off like a sunburn --this was a chemical burn. To this day anytime I'm working with bleach to scrub things to disinfect them -like flower pots & dog bowls I have to wear gloves b/c my skin reacts to it so badly. Believe me ppl cleaning up from this are going to need these and lots of bleach to disinfect things.

Bleach --see above

Kilz paint - a primer paint with mold inhibitor in it .....DO NOT USE TO COVER OVER MOLD. Mold is a living entity - a fungus, in my experience it can only be stopped with bleach on hard items like studs and plastic or complete removal, as in drywall, particle board, pressboard etc. We had to cut the drywall out from the floor to a foot or so above where the flood line was b/c that stuff just soaks it up like a sponge and once it's wet it's ruined & worthless and harbors dangerous black mold. Same thing with the presswood.

I hope this helps, even if it's just one person.

EDIT to add: Oh yeah --Laundry soap & access to working washing machine--trust me you will never ever take for granted again clean dry clothes!

Edit to add 2: Just found this via #scflooding: Yeppers, that's what I'm talking about

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 05:40 PM
link   
And STILL it rains

We've had rain since this am off and on

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Thanks for the info... also, what a rich family history you have also. I love hearing stories of my folks growing up!

That is crazy about the truck stuck on the bridge. I'm with you-- how the heck did it not totally collapse with the obvious weakness of the bridge?

This issue with I-95 being shut down between I-20 & I-26 for an undetermined amount to time, is not only hard on the travelers who have to detour, but also commerce for all of the towns along the path of the closure who usually benefit from people stopping to eat, get gas, etc.

And not only that, what about trucks bringing supplies (Walmart, grocery stores, Lowes, etc) to said towns? I'm sure they can exit prior to the closure and go 'across country,' but then, how stressed are all the secondary highways & bridges on those alternate routes? (Because, like I said, if I-95 is not safe, why are the bridges on the backroads???) Must put a lot of extra traffic along those routes too! I really, really feel for these towns in the lower part of the state!

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Good info.... hadn't considered Tetanus!

It rained all day here in my neck of the woods and has just recently stopped. It was steady but never heavy. I can imagine that people who have had their homes destroyed due to flooding will view downpours differently from now on. Especially young children, whose lives have been so interrupted/changed by this. They may even need counseling to deal with the trauma of it all.

Any idea if school is back in session yet? I know USC cancelled classes all last week. I wonder if any are still without electricity. I do know the 'boil water' thing is still in effect. Are there still folks without water at all?

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Any idea if school is back in session yet? I know USC cancelled classes all last week.

Per the U of SC website

The University is planning to resume all classes on the Columbia campus Monday, Oct. 12—barring any unforeseen circumstances.

In ref to what you posted before LSU vs USC From #UofSC feed
saw this

Can't agree more -real class act all the way!! (even though we got our #$% beat LSU 45, South Carolina 24 — Final)

posted on Oct, 11 2015 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Got to tend to other biz today but just wanted to pop in and post this---so sweet--LSU is really a class act even tho they did stomp our butts!
From yahoo

LSU running back Leonard Fournette ....After racking up 158 yards and a touchdown in a 45-24 win over South Carolina, Fournette said in a postgame interview that he wants to auction off his game jersey to raise money for those affected by significant flooding in South Carolina.

Seems he & his family were directly affected by Katrina. Even the PTB gave their blessings. How sweet!

And after it initially looked like it would be a violation for Fournette to auction the jersey, the NCAA announced on Twitter it would allow him to do so. " Leonard Fournette can auction his jersey for SC flood victims. — NCAA (@NCAA) October 11, 2015"

I'm a Panthers fan, don't watch much college ball, but I am going to make a point to keep up with this guy and see where he goes when he goes pro--just 'cause!

If you get a chance read the comments --for the most part they are heart warming and enlightening, but be warned -as always in a public forum there are some real #$%@.

It's been a week now since this disaster started to really unfold in the magnitude that it has become. I don't know about ya'll but it's been a real emotional roller-coaster for me, and I'm not even directly in the midst of it.

We as a state are trying our best to put it all back together again, but unlike humpty dumpty's failed attempts, I think we will succeed --we have to --too much is at stake--It will just take a while and it for sure ain't gonna happen overnight.

Hope ya'll have a good day! Enjoy the sunshine if you have it! It's beautiful here!

edit on 11-10-2015 by SCGrits because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join