It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Archimedes Mirror

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 02:28 PM
link   
I always believed that if the Ancient Library of Alexandria had not burnt, we would be living on other solar systems. The technology level that they were at, is about 200 years before us, even closer, maybe like only 75 years before us at this time.

And I never said Bronz was used as a mirror, all I said was that reflecting the light from a bronz shield would create a mirror EFFECT, there is a difference, so by you not understanding that concept, you are one to complain.

Shattered OUT...

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 02:36 PM
link   
I saw the myth busters episode, and what struck me is how difficult it was to get the team of helpers to focus on one point standing right in front of their target, from about 25 feet. Imagine trying to focus on a moving ship.

a magnifying glass type of weapon could work, but a mirror can't, imo.

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShatteredSkies
I always believed that if the Ancient Library of Alexandria had not burnt, we would be living on other solar systems. The technology level that they were at, is about 200 years before us, even closer, maybe like only 75 years before us at this time.

This is not true. The ancient science was not that good. They were better than mediaval age, but cannot be compared to the modern (16+ century) science. All their achievements were mainly only in mechanics and math. For example ancient medicine was a bunch of C. And also slavery system, where manual workforce was extremely cheap, gave little chance for implementation of new technologies.

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by longbow

Originally posted by ShatteredSkies

This is not true. The ancient science was not that good. They were better than mediaval age, but cannot be compared to the modern (16+ century) science. All their achievements were mainly only in mechanics and math. For example ancient medicine was a bunch of C. And also slavery system, where manual workforce was extremely cheap, gave little chance for implementation of new technologies.

You can't really say that, there is alot more evidence that proves they are alot more advanced.

Shattered OUT...

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Shattered what i meant was that glass used in mirrors doesn't relfect enough UV light but polished bronze although still creating a mirror effect, relflects more UV light allowing it to burn the sails of ships. ANd i thought the story went that only the sail of one ship was burnt and the romans believeing they had some superweapon from the gods turned back their fleet.

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Archimedes discovered things such as calculus needed for space flight. Teh ancient greeks and romans also created a number of computer like machines using gears instead of computer chips. The ancinet greeks also had weak batteries that were somehow used to apply a thin layer of gold to a substance, thus making it seem like pure gold. Ancient greeks and egyptians also discovered the fact the earth was. And a greek scientists came up with a good idea of the diameter of earth using shadows from diverent cities.The anicent greeks werent the only andvanced culture. there is evidence of the of ancient people sailing to the americas from Asiam over 33,000 years ago. The list is endless of ancient people great discoveries in science. much of which has been lost through time, like the Great Library at Alexandria. beneath is a link to other ancient greek discoveries.

[url=http://www.mlahanas.de/Greeks/Greeks.htm[/url]

[edit on 3-1-2005 by SmokeyTheBear]

<< 1   >>

join