It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Giraffes humming in the night - audio

page: 1

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 12:30 PM
link   

You have seen them walking majestetic around the savanna and chewing leaves from tall trees. But very rarely giraffes make much of noice or sound at all. That said, it is remarkable then to learn giraffes actually may humm during the night - and in groups! The sound of them humming reminds me of Tibtan monks in monastries - it is really amazing.

Hope you enjoy - and as usual - sorry if this topic has already found its way somewhere out there ...

Lions wont be able to sleep tonight

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 01:24 PM
link   
a reply to: deckdel

That was nice to listen to. Good find. s&f

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 01:28 PM
link   

You sure that's the sound of giraffes? Sounds like my son releasing gas.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Wow, most intriguing indeed!

From your own link:

The researchers didn't take videos of the humming giraffes, so it's unclear exactly what the animals were doing at the time. But Stoeger has a hunch the eerie sound is a method of communication — an idea that needs to be verified in future studies, she said.
"Giraffes have excellent vision and use visual signals for communication a lot," she said. "However, it might be possible that once vision is limited — for example, at nighttime — and they are separated, that they might use vocalizations to keep contact."

Nice!

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 01:30 PM
link   
That's a spooky "hum".

That would freak me out if I were out somewhere at night and heard that noise.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 01:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Zarniwoop

Sounds right in-between a sinister tuba and a really bad snore, would you not agree?

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 01:45 PM
link   
a reply to: swanne

I was thinking more along the lines of a cross between inebriated monks and sasquatch.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 02:04 PM
link   
OK now I know why they don't make all the much sound. If that was how I sounded I wouldn't talk much in public as well. The amount of fart and bathroom jokes that would stem from it would be mind boggling.

Kind sounds like a goat played back really slow.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Does it seem strange to anyone else that it's 2015 and we've never heard this sound before now? What other large mammal sounds have we been missing out on?

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 06:49 PM
link   
That sounded spooky!
Sure they aren't possessed? LOL

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 01:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

Maybe they are just snoring?

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Sounds more like a groan of either pain or discomfort to me than a hum, but then there is a melodic quality to it. Giraffes always look so cheerful, between their colours, cute features and innocent looking eyes, that I always imagined they'd sound more like a huffing sound or something. It almost sounds like a whale. Then again, deer and other animals make weird noises too. Coyotes make the strangest sounds I've ever heard.
edit on 25-9-2015 by LoneCloudHopper2 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join