It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes, Major Issue

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Ok, obviously a Sci-Fi title like this requires a certain suspension of disbelief. And I'll admit that I'm just watching it for the first time tonight. But there's one SFX (Special Effects) issue that is just driving me a bit nuts. In the opening scene, Ceaser's son gets attacked by a bear while the apes are hunting caribou, or maybe elk. He has several claw marks across his chest and one on his face as a result of the attack. But here's the problem. The wounds, for the duration of the movie, never even scab over.
This is obviously a film which is heavy in CGI. They have to model every ape in it. And they did a fantastic job. But the integral storyline takes place over a period of at least a week, if not more. And they never bother to update the model for Ceaser's son after the attack. His wounds always look fresh and oozing bright red blood. Why the serious oversight for such a central character?
Now, as I am posting from my phone, I can't directly attach a picture, but here's a link to the model with the exact same state of the wounds he maintains throughout the film.
pieceofcake3.blogspot.com...
So, just a brief rant about an otherwise well-made piece of cinema. Any thoughts?

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 09:58 PM
link   
a reply to: pfishy

If I'm not mistaken these are later in the movie:

Than this:

So it's looks like not only do they scab up, they're actually healing nicely.

It's been a while since I've watched it though.

edit on 2015-9-12 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

edit on 2015-9-12 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 12:01 AM
link   
How do we know how genetically modified apes heal? For all we know they ooze and never scab, because they're genetically different. like modern age 2015 era pterodactyls don't have to follow the laws of aerodynamics to fly

But yeah .. hehe I think the next post shows it does change. I never noticed it myself. I do remember reading the imdb forums and people were wondering about Caesar's 'birthmark' not being visible in some scenes..

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 12:05 AM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

I just watched it, and I have to say they looked a good deal more fresh. But that could also be my 4k tv just making the detail too sharp. Thanks for posting those, though.
Specifically in the scene where Koba hands him the gun. It's been about a week or so, and the wounds still look fresh.
I know, I'm nitpicking some otherwise wonderful effects, but it just seemed like a glaring oversight.
edit on 13-9-2015 by pfishy because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-9-2015 by pfishy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 08:10 AM
link   
a reply to: pfishy

Why not just enjoy the movie in the manner to which it was released...to entertain. Apes do not speak the English language that well in real life either.

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 08:22 AM
link   
a reply to: NewzNose

I did enjoy it, quite a bit. And the apes were altered by the virus, which is a nice deus ex machina for the speaking English ability. It just nagged at me that with the superb level of reality they managed to paint with the visual effects, they just overlooked that detail. But as others have pointed out, screenshots do seem to show that I am mistaken in the first place.

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Maybe he is a compulsive scab picker.
We don't know what he does with his personal time.

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 03:36 PM
link   
a reply to: eightbitjunkie

I would have guessed the time-honored simian tradition of hurling his own feces, but who knows?

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 05:46 PM
link   
who doesnt like picking scabs?
i'm sure apes are no different.

top topics

join