It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Homeowner Closes Access To The Goonies House

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 11:55 AM
link   
The cult favorite, "The Goonies" was filmed in Astoria, Oregon and other nearby areas in 1985. The movie begins at Mikey and brother Brand's house. This house in Astoria is now know as "The Goonies House" and fans of the movie flock to see it. The current owner bought the house 10 years ago and has been very gracious to fans, allowing them to walk up the steep driveway for glimpse and take a few photos.

Recently, however, Astoria has had "Goonies Day", a weekend long celebration of the movie that made their town famous. Since then, tourism of the area has exploded, mainly to "The Goonies House". To make matters worse, there have been a handful of horrible people that do not follow the parking signs, showing up late at night, disturbing neighbors, littering, even climbing onto the homeowners porch and peering through the windows.

Well, it appears the homeowner has finally had enough. Access is now closed to the driveway leading to "The Goonies House" and neighboring "Data's House". The homeowner has even put up ugly blue tarps covering the front of the house.

This movie has always been a favorite of mine since the day my mother took me and my best friend to see it. We were 8 at the time. The same age as the main characters in the movie. I guess that’s why I’ve always had a special place in my heart for it. Visiting Astoria and especially “The Goonies House” has always been on my bucket list.

My family moved to Portland, Oregon back in December. The first thing I wanted to do was visit Astoria. My same friend brought his family up from California to celebrate New Year’s with us. We decided to drive to Astoria on NYE. First we went to Cannon Beach where Mikey matches the doubloon with the lighthouse and rocks. Next we went to “The Goonies House”. It was a really cool day. It was fun to share the experience with our children as well. They have recently become fans of the movie and got a real kick out of seeing the house in person.

I'm the one wearing sunglasses.

I feel bad for the homeowner but I feel she should have known what she was getting into when she purchased the property. Maybe she didn’t realize how big it was going to get? I’ve always said that the city or the studio should buy both properties and restore them back to movie condition and charge a small fee. They could even include a gift shop. The same was done with the “Christmas Story House” in Cleveland with great success.

Do we have any other “Goonies” on this site? Has anyone visited the house or any of the other filming locations?

Source: The Daily Astorian

edit on 19-8-2015 by jtrenthacker because: words is hard

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 12:29 PM
link   
a reply to: jtrenthacker

Definitely one of my favorites of all time and in talking with people in and around my age (38), it seems to be at the top of everyone's lists along with The Lost Boys so I don't doubt that tens of thousands of people a year have been showing up at this house.

Having lived for about 15 years in an extremely small, rural town whose annual nighttime Halloween parade draws thousands of people, I can empathize with the home owner — though for us it was only a one day a year ordeal. Rude people have absolutely no qualms about parking in peoples' grass, blocking driveways, littering yards and sidewalks with all sorts of trash including beer bottles (often broken) and other ill-mannered behavior.

If it's such a financial boon to Astoria, perhaps they should considering making the home owner a generous offer and converting the house into a Goonies Museum?

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 01:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian

Definitely one of my favorites of all time and in talking with people in and around my age (38), it seems to be at the top of everyone's lists along with The Lost Boys so I don't doubt that tens of thousands of people a year have been showing up at this house.

Having lived for about 15 years in an extremely small, rural town whose annual nighttime Halloween parade draws thousands of people, I can empathize with the home owner — though for us it was only a one day a year ordeal. Rude people have absolutely no qualms about parking in peoples' grass, blocking driveways, littering yards and sidewalks with all sorts of trash including beer bottles (often broken) and other ill-mannered behavior.

If it's such a financial boon to Astoria, perhaps they should considering making the home owner a generous offer and converting the house into a Goonies Museum?

That was my idea all along and mentioned it in the OP. If I had the funds, I would make an offer myself. It would be fun. The city makes millions from tourism and has been encouraging it with their annual "Goonies Day". They should buy the property or come up with some kind of solution.

I think your right about the age. I'm 39. However, my 2 older kids (11 & 8) really like the movie as well.The Lost Boys is another classic. I have a friend who lives in Santa Cruz. I need to get down there and check out filming locations. There are also filming locations here in Oregon for "Stand By Me", another one of my favorites.

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 01:24 PM
link   
My brain is fireing tron things all over the place.

The Goonies has stuck with me since its release.
Did you know, that after filming was finished,
the cast was offered the pirate ship.
No one wanted it so it was dissmantled.

Also the octopus cut scene is on youtube.

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 01:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ismynameimportant
My brain is fireing tron things all over the place.

The Goonies has stuck with me since its release.
Did you know, that after filming was finished,
the cast was offered the pirate ship.
No one wanted it so it was dissmantled.

Also the octopus cut scene is on youtube.

Yes, I did know about the ship. That is insane. That thing would look good in Astoria's harbor. Can you imagine the tourists the ship alone would bring? As for the octopus, there is a TV version of Goonies that aired years ago. It had several scenes including the octopus re-inserted. I'm glad the octopus scene was cut though. The effects were pretty cheesy. The other scenes were pretty good though. At the end of the theatrical cut, Data mentions the octopus to the reporter. This always puzzled me until I saw the TV version.

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Never understood this type of fanaticism over a fictional movie property.

1. They were paid actors people. They don't actually live there.

2. People should know that there really is no such thing as "Goonies."

3. This is someone's private property. Go trample the local McDonald's parking lot instead.

Maybe it's just me but I wouldn't walk a few blocks to see it if I was passing by.

Jude

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Thats exactly what puzzled me, when data mentions it.

I can see how it would be cheezy.

Its similar to First Blood, another of my favourites.
Theres an alternate ending where rambo kills himself
and a scene that depicts rambo loading an m16 mag
instead of stitching his arm.
I think this was only shown in canada after release for tv viewing.

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 01:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: jude11

3. This is someone's private property. Go trample the local McDonald's parking lot instead.

Maybe it's just me but I wouldn't walk a few blocks to see it if I was passing by.

Jude

I can see how some people would want to do it.
But not that destructive type.

I could never understand a trainspotter or a that argument in
the school playground over whether zx spectrum is better than the comodore lol

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 03:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: jude11

Jude

You sound like a lot of fun.

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 04:52 PM
link   

edit on 19-8-2015 by Rikku because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Never seen the flick. Don't really think I care as it's really not my type of flick these days. BITD I probably would have enjoyed it as I was the target age when it came out.

It seems to have been way more popular than I ever thought. But hearing they made a thing of The Christmas Story house is just as wild IMO. The Bates Hotel, yeah, I'd go see that if it were a real house in a real city. The others, not so much.

I might be tempted to go see the house the Bloom Boarding house was based upon, if I were in Iowa, so I won't make fun of anyone visiting any of them.

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 05:49 PM
link   

We live down the road a bit from Astoria. When friends have come to visit, a few have made it a point to check out the house.

We've never been, but it's a good movie.

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 04:33 AM
link   
Never seen the flick.

join