It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How food stamps/Medicaid/child care subsidies work

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 08:53 PM
link   
It appears that, quoting Orwell, some people are more equal than others.

Harte

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 01:40 AM
link   
This post is wonderful to see. Yet some still refuse to see it any other way than what they want to see.

I am going through constant tough times. I am disabled and had to appeal a review because they just didn't have a whole lot of info to work with. I'm terrified they are going to reject my appeal. I've had to go through more mental health evaluations. Stuff that I've already been through multiple times and had documented. Having the run around with that yet one more time. I have many different mental health issues. Severe crippling anxiety is one. I am a single woman no kids.

I get SSI SNAP and Medicaid. It barely keeps a roof over my head and last year this time I was facing eviction. My landlord was wonderful and lowered my rent a little in the end. I'm still working on paying back what I owed. They still could kick me out. I spend most of my check on rent. Then power and cheap internet. I usually do not have food money at the end of the month. I was for a short while doing ok and had no worries of bills being overdue. Then the power company screwed things up and I'm not notified til months later and I'm being faced with disconnection and having to pay more than the original amount due cause they bleed you. This stuff has had me in severe panic and anxiety for nearly the entire year. Suicidal even. I nearly was hospitalized last month. I've spent two days in bed cause I'm too devastated to deal with the fact that I am losing everything because I can't handle life like other people can.

I have tried so hard. I was so full of hope a few months ago that I could get myself to a point of being okay enough. Before this I had a few stable months when I started making some plans and learning what I could about fields of interest and studying them. Maybe one day I'd see about applying somewhere like a recording studio as an intern or something eventually... If I could get comfortable with leaving my house regularly. If I could handle a bit of work...I carried that hope everywhere and told my doctors and always kept a positive outlook and now it's backfired and shattered. All things are halted. I thought for sure I could beat all this. I just don't know what's to happen.

It's no fun to depend on something that can be taken away without checking to make absolutely sure one is able to work. It's what they lead you to believe. I've had to do much legwork to get more info to them cause they don't go too far out of their way. Why there isn't a better way is beyond me. I can only do so much. It's sad that some people think it's easy to obtain things like this. My best friend is in a wheelchair with CP and has a state nurse come to him once a year to see if he's still disabled. So yeah. The system is not as easy as people think it is.

I feel so much for everyone else in these kinds of situations posting on here. These days and times are hard. I never thought I'd have to worry this much all the time. Years and years. I'm grateful I have what I do. I don't like having people judging me in the grocery. No one should do that. Walk in someone's shoes before making assumptions. If people on EBT buying expensive food pisses you off remember this.. if you had only a small amount of money to spend would you make sure you could eat all month or buy one or two meals that are super spendy? I think most people would choose the former.

I said something earlier today on Facebook along the lines of "If you have a good job that pays you well, be grateful that you have it. If your husband/wife works hard to put food on the table and provide for your kids too hug him/her and tell them you love them. Cause not everyone out there is so lucky."

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 01:46 AM
link   
We should not judge others by the color of their card, but by the content of their grocery cart.

Harte

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 07:42 AM
link   
a reply to: rbkruspe

Thank you so much for sharing your story. I cannot begins to imagine how horrid things are for you. It took a lot of courage for you to post.

You're in my thoughts and prayers. I hope things get stable for you so you can live a good life. I hope you get disability.

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 08:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Harte

originally posted by: darkbake

a reply to: ChiefD

Thanks for clearing up those misconceptions. I have seen others on here as well, for example, you cannot withdraw cash from your EBT card.

Not legally, but it happens all the time all over the country anyway.

Harte

I don't see how it is physically possible for that to happen. The computers are all hard wired to only accept SNAP for certain foods only. You cannot get cash from a SNAP account because it is not physically possible.

You would have to buy someone else food using your SNAP card and then have them pay you cash for it, and this is explicitly stated to be illegal in the pamphlets they give out.

"Specifically stated as illegal."

And this stops it how?

I'm not sure what else you want to do. It is already illegal and is enforced.
edit on 30amThu, 30 Jul 2015 08:56:13 -0500kbamkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 09:36 AM
link   

a reply to: ChiefD

Thanks for clearing up those misconceptions. I have seen others on here as well, for example, you cannot withdraw cash from your EBT card.

Not legally, but it happens all the time all over the country anyway.

Harte

I don't see how it is physically possible for that to happen. The computers are all hard wired to only accept SNAP for certain foods only. You cannot get cash from a SNAP account because it is not physically possible.

You would have to buy someone else food using your SNAP card and then have them pay you cash for it, and this is explicitly stated to be illegal in the pamphlets they give out.

"Specifically stated as illegal."

And this stops it how?

I'm not sure what else you want to do. It is already illegal and is enforced.

It's not enforced much. I know this from personal experiences with recipients.
That's the problem.

Harte

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 11:11 AM
link   
a reply to: eisegesis

"Pushing out another child"? You think it is that easy? You seriously think a few food stamps is worth carrying a fetus for nine months and responsible for them for the rest of your life is worth that? How rich are you that you have no clue.

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 12:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: MOMof3
a reply to: eisegesis

"Pushing out another child"? You think it is that easy? You seriously think a few food stamps is worth carrying a fetus for nine months and responsible for them for the rest of your life is worth that? How rich are you that you have no clue.

You are spot on! Not to mention the average cost of raising ONE CHILD to the age of 18 is $250,000, not including college costs!

Some people are so clueless.

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 10:33 AM
link   
I will agree that there is the possibility of someone using their EBT card to buy groceries for a friend who then gives them cash. This is illegal, but I will also agree that it may not be enforced. This is a small loophole that I wouldn't mind seeing fixed as it would be in the spirit of the EBT program.

I know a lot of people with EBT cards, including myself, and none of us have traded our EBT for cash as far as I know. Other than that method I described above, there shouldn't be a way to use your EBT card to buy whatever you want. There are strict limits on what you can and cannot buy. For example, you cannot buy "hot" / prepared food like a corn dog at a gas station or a sandwich at Subway. And of course, you cannot use it to buy things like cigarettes or weed or even beer.
edit on 07amFri, 07 Aug 2015 10:34:53 -0500kbamkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 11:54 AM
link   
ChiefD,

I'm a little surprised that you haven't answered my questions from page 6. I presented them professionally and without contempt and was hoping to gain some insight. Is there a reason you haven't replied?

posted on Apr, 5 2020 @ 06:45 PM
link   
It’s been a few years since I originally started this thread. Now, in this time where COVID-19 is sickening and killing so many, and with few places being open, I worry about those who are currently receiving benefits. I know many economic support workers are essential and still working long hours. But many on benefits who struggled before are probably struggling even worse now. My thoughts and prayers go out to those folks and the many hard working overloaded economic support workers.

I hope most people have compassion for those less fortunate. They are struggling even more now.

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join