It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jim Webb announces candidacy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Ex senator James Webb has announced his candidacy for President.

Webb has had a pretty colorful career, including time as a Marine officer (saw combat), time under SecDef and as Secretary of the Navy, journalist, and most recently as a senator.

On a personal note, he was the junior senator for Virginia when I was a resident there. One thing he did that I thought was pretty cool was wearing his son's, who was a Marine serving in Iraq, combat boots on the campaign trail. Pretty clear pandering of course, but it established a personal connection for a lot of people. He runs on an anti-establishment platform, and is positioning himself as the outsider when compared to the likes of Clinton, Bush, Cruz, etc.

Anywho, this isn't an endorsement of him or anything, just more along the lines of "hey look somebody else is running who isn't totally embedded in the political machine." Just found it interesting to see his name pop up and thought some people may be interested in learning more.

I won't run up his personal site with hits looking for info, but I found a link with a brief snapshot on where Webb stands on "the issues."

www.ontheissues.org...

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 04:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

Some hits and misses for me.
Doesn't much care for the wars we have been fighting so that is nice.

Strange they don't have his stance on drugs or Families and Children.

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 04:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

Yea, I thought that was odd too. His site may have more on the issues, I don't know. I get emails from there and it didn't mention anything specific to those two items though, so maybe not.

If he gets off the ground I expect that'll come out in due course.

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 04:31 PM
link   

He graduated from the Naval Academy, where he won the 1967 147-pound boxing championship. He won that championship fight over Oliver North, the same Oliver North who would go on to get caught up in the Iran-Contra scandal of the 1980s.

www.npr.org...
Not a bad little tid bit here either!

And even had the gall to tell bush to his face that he wanted to troops out of Iraq.

This guys isn't to bad in my bool

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 04:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

Yep. His son was a serving Marine and I believe he was in country at the time. Webb made it pretty clear he didn't care to discuss his son with Bush.

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Hillary needs some token opposition in the primary season. Webb may be looking for a cabinet post in a Hillary admin. Otherwise he may be looking to boost his national profile. I am not sure if the Hillary camp would permit him to bring out a book like some of his GOP candidates have done so.

top topics

join