It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran f-14a how many do they have

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2004 @ 06:09 PM
link   
how many f-14a's does Iran have that are in good condition that can be used in air to air combat roles.

since they are known and have proven to be good a cross engeneiring things.

came to my mind when i saw this

[edit on 26-12-2004 by bodrul]

posted on Dec, 26 2004 @ 07:53 PM
link   
c'mon non of those puppies flew after Americans left Iran! they could only fly when US and Iran were allies

In iran their military only uses sticks and stones.

but on a serious note I don't think anybody knows for sure, at least 25 I say.

by the way your link does not work. I can not see any pictures.

zurvan

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 04:58 AM
link   
www.airliners.net...
looks in good condition to me
( and serious replys only please )

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 05:28 AM
link   
Today, the IRIAF still has some 50-55 F-14s, but only about 30 of them are active at any one time. They were bought by the Shah in the 1980s,but when he ran away the new government took all that. The Iranians sadly don't have the AIM-54 Pheonix,so their F-14 isn't really as good as their American counterparts. They are still dangerous and can blow American F-15s out of the skies if they are lucky though.

[edit on 27/12/04 by W4rl0rD]

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Th one in the picture appears to be a static display. The Iranians probalby have had to canabalise allot of their own F-14's to keep some of them flying, so I wouldnt think that they would be too much of a threat. In a combat situation the F-14 would probalby be used more as an AWACS diverting planes in with its powerful radar although still capable of fighting. It posses less of a threat because it still usses 1970's tech and sensors and its missiles there use old Sidewinders, sparrows, and maybe a few Phoenix but I wouldnt put too much faith in them because of the age and damage caused by technicians leaving the country after the Shah was overthrown. The plane could use Russian missiles but since the F-14 is not compatible and any modifications would reduce the effectiveness of the missiles I wouldnt put too much faith in it. The bigger threat to US planes from Iran is the Mig-29's that they have.

Sep

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by W4rl0rD
The Iranians sadly don't have the AIM-54 Pheonix,so their F-14 isn't really as good as their American counterparts.

They have learned to copy it. The only question is how many are they producing every year.

posted on Jan, 2 2005 @ 11:00 PM
link   
The Iranians, with the exception of some secret equipment, got the exact same plane as the US had at the time. They are all permanatly grounded because the civilian matinence crews sabotaged the aircraft, that and the US refused to sell them replacement parts. The original order was fairly large some 50 aircraft.

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by replicators
The Iranians, with the exception of some secret equipment, got the exact same plane as the US had at the time. They are all permanatly grounded because the civilian matinence crews sabotaged the aircraft, that and the US refused to sell them replacement parts. The original order was fairly large some 50 aircraft.

did a search my self and came up with this

In 1985 Iran shocked the world (especially the US) when a formation of 25 Tomcats overflew Tehran. It was a miracle how Iran kept it's Tomcats flying even though they had been cut from (official) spares suppliers and it proves Iran's ingenuity and ability to reverse-engineer. This ability should ensure that the type is still available to undertake limited long-range interception missions at low sortie rates. Since the end of the eight-year long conflict, numerous enhancement projects have been performed on the type, including increasing the AWG-9's range, and integrating the R-73 AAM and various air-to-ground weapons with the aircraft. Iran is also working hard on a project to reverse-engineer and manufacture the AIM-54A Phoenix longe-range air-air missile locally.
site

hence how many would be good to fly now

[edit on 3-1-2005 by bodrul]

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 09:05 AM
link   
These might help?
Status of Iranian Airforce
IIAF-F-14

seekerof

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 02:01 AM
link   
Sry. Thanks for correcting me.

[edit on 4-1-2005 by replicators]

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 07:51 PM
link   
I'm here to redeem myself. Did some reasearch and found the Iranians purchased 79 F-14a and all but one of them was delivered, the last was kept when the Islamic revolution occured. There are an estimated 20 of the original 78 delivered that are operational as a result of aid from Russian Technicians, and the other 58 aircraft are used for spare parts. Along with Russia's aid the Iranians have been constantly upgrading the jets, some of the upgrades are: new engines, a new radar system, and a glass cockpit (I'm unsure if it's all glass though). There are two reported Iranian F-14s as being lost dates and BuNos are at the link. www.anft.net...

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 08:05 PM
link   
And about the Pheonix.
"Iran also ordered 714 Phoenix missiles, but only 284 had been delivered at the time of the Revolution. These Phoenix missiles were of slightly-reduced capability as compared with those delivered to the US Navy."
And
"In addition, by August of 1979, all 79 of the F-14A Tomcats had supposedly been sabotaged so that they could no longer fire their Phoenix missiles. According to various accounts, this was done either by departing Grumman technicians, by Iranian Air Force personnel friendly to the US shortly after the fall of the Shah, or even by Iranian revolutionaries in an attempt to prevent operations by an Air Force perceived to be too pro-Western." Not to say someone didnt help them fix them.
This info is from home.att.net...

[edit on 4-1-2005 by replicators]

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 08:16 PM
link   

The bigger threat to US planes from Iran is the Mig-29's that they have.

I'd agree there.

The F-14s the Iranians have, have 70's avionics and electronics...even if they successfully reverse-engineered the missile, they'd still be toast. Most estimates put the current number of possible in service planes of this type, at less than 20. The reason they were able to keep this many going is simple....lots of non-flying planes to cannibalize parts from.

The Iranian Migs pose a much greater threat than their F-14s....at least these days.

posted on May, 24 2023 @ 06:28 PM
link   
The most recent edition of Flight Global's World Air Forces directory lists 41 F-14s and 19 MiG-29s as operational with the Islamic Republic of Iran Air Force.

new topics

top topics

join