It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Northern Flying Squirrels etc in my Neighborhood

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 12:47 PM
link   
I've been doing some wildlife surveys in my area the last few days and thought I would share some pics.

Northern Flying Squirrel babies (Glaucomys sabrinus)

And mom...

A couple of nights ago I set the camera system up hoping I could get some footage of her coming and going out of her tree cavity but she was content to keep snoozing and I gave up at 2:30am. Maybe tonight.

I did however find these about 25 feet up in a large trembling aspen cavity. I haven't checked yet to see if they are Myotis lucifugus or Eptesicus fuscu.

And this young beautiful thing (Bubo virginianus)

This is a really great time of year to be experiencing the wonders of nature and I hope you get a chance to saunter through your local natural areas soon.

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 12:55 PM
link   
a reply to: CraftBuilder
Great pics!
Love the inclusion of bat guano. I seldom get to see it. Nice thinking how many bloodsucking insects are no longer flying because of those fine bats.

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 01:06 PM
link   
a reply to: CraftBuilder

Neat! The flying squirrels are in need of a moose friend. The bats were cool. You don't have to worry much about mosquitoes.

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Wow! You just made my day with those photos! LOVE them!!!!!!!!

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Nice pics. I still feel guilty for cutting down an old dead oak for eco-friendly firewood which had a flying squirrel hibernation home in it. He looked so discouraged. All the walls were coated with a plush green moss like coating.

Take care not to disturb those guys, we need all kinds of animals.

I like the big eyes on the flying squirrels.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 10:06 AM
link   
I absolutely love (big smooches) rodents, rats, mice & squirrels in particular. They are the most numerous type of mammals on the planet and so often get a bad rap for the damage they cause to human property (move somewhere else, silly primates!).

Thank you for sharing these- it would be awesome to see them learning to fly, I look forward to some videos in the near future!!

Oh I adore rodents!

top topics

join