It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Singapore Airbus 330 has double temp engine failure

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 02:33 AM
link   
Just caught this on FB.

A Singapore Airlines Airbus A330-300, registration 9V-SSF performing flight SQ-836 from Singapore (Singapore) to Shanghai Pudong (China) with 182 passengers and 12 crew, was enroute at FL390 about 140nm southsoutheast of Hong Kong (China) when both engines (Trent 772) of the aircraft lost power. While descending the aircraft the crew worked the related checklists and managed to restore normal operation of both engines at about FL260. The aircraft climbed back to 9500 meters (about FL312) and continued to Shanghai for a safe landing about 100 minutes later. The aircraft remained on the ground in Shanghai for about 4 hours, then departed for the return flight SQ-825 and reached Singapore with a delay of 2 hours. The airline reported: "Singapore Airlines flight SQ836, operated by an Airbus A330-300, was bound for Shanghai from Singapore on 23 May 2015 when it encountered bad weather at 39,000ft about three and a half hours after departure. Both engines experienced a temporary loss of power and the pilots followed operational procedures to restore normal operation of the engines. The flight continued to Shanghai and touched down uneventfully at 10:56pm local time." The aircraft underwent thorough examination and tests with no anomalies detected. The occurrence has been reported to the Authorities of Singapore and is being discussed with Rolls Royce and Airbus. Singapore's Air Accident Investigation Bureau (SAAIB) confirmed an engine incident over international waters on a Singapore Airlines Flight enrotue from Singapore to Shanghai. The SAAIB stated: "the AAIB will be the authority for investigating this incident. The AAIB is in the midst of gathering information and flight data from the operator."

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Every passenger should buy a lottery ticket. It's obviously their lucky day.

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 09:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Blackfinger

And then the idiots flew another hour and a half to Shanghai.

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Serious question for the airline pilot types on this forum:

Is it normal procedure that when both engines loose power and the aircraft start falling out of the sky, to decide after the engines had been re-started, to continue on your journey? A little over 1 1/2 hour to your final destination, even though they could have diverted to Hong Kong that was only about 1/2 hour away, not knowing what the cause of the engine power loss was in the first place?
Granted we don't know all the particulars of the indecent but it seams a little reckless on the surface to a non-pilot such as myself.

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Favorite quote from the article:

The aircraft underwent thorough examination and tests with no anomalies detected.

No Anomalies, other than the two engine failure...no biggie....load her up with another plane full and send her back....nice! I don't think I will ever fly on one of these planes with how many times they have had problems lately. The odds of one of these going down seem a LOT higher than any other aircraft I have read about lately....

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 09:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Sammamishman

They SHOULD have gotten on the ground immediately and had the aircraft checked. Reminds me of the Asiana crew that flew to Saipan on one engine after they shut one down an hour into the flight.

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 09:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

In March of this year Airbus delivered their 9,000th aircraft. Over 6400 are A320 family members, 1500 were A330/A340 types. When you have that many aircraft flying in just two families the odds of an accident being one of them are pretty good.

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 09:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Right, I just can't fathom that getting to the destination on time is more important than the 194 souls on-board. Do they execute these pilots for missing scheduled arrival times or something?

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 09:27 AM
link   

I've heard some Asian airlines have some pretty strict penalties for not arriving on time, as well as the embarrassment factor.

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 09:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sammamishman

Is it normal procedure that when both engines loose power and the aircraft start falling out of the sky, to decide after the engines had been re-started, to continue on your journey? A little over 1 1/2 hour to your final destination, even though they could have diverted to Hong Kong that was only about 1/2 hour away, not knowing what the cause of the engine power loss was in the first place?
Granted we don't know all the particulars of the indecent but it seams a little reckless on the surface to a non-pilot such as myself.

No! Landing at the nearest suitable airport is normal procedure, good airmanship and common sense in a two engine airliner when you have restarted your engines after flameout for unknown reasons.

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 11:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sammamishman

The rules say that, the pilot should fly to the nearest appropriate suitable airport. This means you don't go to an airport with a short runway or an airport without Crash Fire Rescue. Without engine power any airport will do!

Hong Kong would be a good divert airport if it was just a half hour away. However, I would guess that the crew found the source of the engine failures and continued to their destination. Just my 2 cents.
edit on 27-5-2015 by buddah6 because: lobotomized through superior pain meds.

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 01:58 PM
link   
a reply to: buddah6

No. You last as soon as possible. Single Engine failure is rare and an emergency. Dual engine failure is nearly catastrophic for an A330. The only reason I would think they didn't land at Hong Kong is that they were too high to descend easily.

Icing could account for dual flameout and no visible damage. Icing in fuel systems has flamed out both motors in the past. The electronic data systems in the RR motors will tell the tale of what happened in their systems. Still.

Get your butt on the ground ASAP. Pilots are weird.

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 02:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: buddah6
Without engine power any airport will do!.

Without engine power even the Hudson will do!

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 02:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ivar_Karlsen

originally posted by: buddah6
Without engine power any airport will do!.

Without engine power even the Hudson will do!

Amen!

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Divert immediately, as has been said above.

What's even more alarming is the fact that they took this jet on another revenue flight a few hours later without a heavy maintenance check or test flight.

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 02:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Ivar_Karlsen

In that case gravity is the pilot, the crew just makes suggestions.

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Oh joys .. I'll be on a A330 in a few days .. Fingers crossed its not a major problem

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 02:30 PM
link   
a reply to: ThePeaceMaker

Considering how many are flying and this being the first time it's happened I'd say you're OK.

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 02:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58
Oh don't worry I'll be making sure my aircraft gets to my destination ive been waiting over a year for this holiday

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 03:36 PM
link   

top topics

<<   2 >>

join