It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Poor Kids Banned from School Carnival - NY USA

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+26 more 
posted on May, 26 2015 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Just when you thought the USA school system couldn't sink any lower.

Unacceptable on every level. Because a few kids didn't have $10 to pay for a school carnival the principal gathered them up, and put them in an auditorium while the other kids laughed, played and had fun.

It's a heart-breaking story.

The reason I'm so pissed is I remember being one of those kids years ago, and segregated from an event because we didn't have the money.

nypost.com...

PS 120 in Flushing held a carnival for its students Thursday, but kids whose parents did not pay $10 were forced to sit in the auditorium while their classmates had a blast. Close to 900 kids went to the Queens schoolyard affair, with pre-K to fifth-grade classes taking turns, each spending 45 minutes outside.

The kids enjoyed inflatable slides, a bouncing room and a twirly teacup ride. They devoured popcorn and flavored ices. DJs blasted party tunes.

But more than 100 disappointed kids were herded into the darkened auditorium to just sit or watch an old Disney movie while aides supervised — the music, shouts and laughter outside still audible.

Unreal The principal is a complete Douche-bag. This carnival actually made profit. smh like they couldn't let the kids in for free. wtf!

Frank Chow, president of the parents association that sponsored the carnival, said Monroe insisted that kids whose parents didn’t pay could not partake. “She was saying it’s not fair to the parents who paid,” Chow said. “You can’t argue much, I guess.

The school is under her.” The carnival cost about $6,200, including fees to a carnival company, Send In the Clowns, and reaped a $2,000 to $3,000 profit, he added. “I wish we just charged parents the cost, not to make extra,” Chow said.

I think Frank Chow needs to grow a pair. What say you?

Some kids didn't understand what was going on, and why they were excluded.

The must-pay rule excluded some of the poorest kids at the elementary, where most parents are Chinese immigrant families crammed into apartments and “struggling to keep their heads above water,” staffers said. “It’s breaking my heart that there are kids inside,” one teacher said.

The teacher hugged a 7-year-old girl who was “crying hysterically.” “She was the only one from her class who couldn’t go, so she was very upset,” the teacher said. The girl told others, “My mom doesn’t care about me.” But the teacher said parents possibly did not see or understand the flier that went home or didn’t have $10 to spare.

“Are we being punished?” one child asked an aide in the auditorium as kids sat there with no movie playing, a staffer said. Principal Joan Monroe tacked up a list of the number of students per class: “How many attending, Paid,” and “How many not attending, Not paid.”

I'm sure plenty of people would have tossed in some money so these kids could have attended, if the administrators reached out. We all know how much these carnivals actually cost. (Rolls eyes)

And they had this on school time too.

Meet the Ass-hat that organized this sadistic event. Principal Joan Monroe

Send me a damn bill, I'll pay for as many as I can afford. wtf
edit on 26-5-2015 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

+5 more 
posted on May, 26 2015 @ 10:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Realtruth

If this story is accurate that's one mean lady. Some of my best childhood memories are from our yearly school carnival, they were really fun - and to a small child they were large and wonderous. Those kids should be given an all-expanse paid trip to some really good carnival, the best they can find, and take the money out of the principals salary.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 10:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Aleister

I'm hearing there is some massive backlash from this event, but we'll have to see what happens.

Those kids didn't deserve to be excluded because of a $10 fee, and to make them sit and listen to their peers having fun outside, while they watch some BS movies inside is just f'd up.

I wish this happened in Michigan, because I would be there first thing in the morning.

edit on 26-5-2015 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 10:53 PM
link   

It's okay, the rich kids were banned from playing in the fire hydrant water spray!

+19 more 
link   
All the kids should chip in and buy that witch a toothbrush.
A sand-blaster, maybe.
Just to be nice.

link   

Holy WHAT?!!

That's appalling.
Really sickening.

So, this happened in "Queens" - borough in NY, right?
I am from the Midwest (and still reside there), and that sort of thing seems insane to me.

+5 more 
posted on May, 26 2015 @ 10:59 PM
link   

I'm really hoping an opportunistic business owner steps in for some free publicity and throws a party exclusively for those kids.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Here's the British Tabloid "Daily Mail" take on it:

Poor children whose parents could not afford $10 for carnival are made to sit in dark auditorium while their classmates play

*Tickets to the PS 120 carnival in Queens cost $10

*Roughly 100 students who could not afford the cost of the fair were forced to sit out while their 900 classmates had fun

*Most of the children who could not afford to attend were from Chinese immigrant families

*'My mother doesn't care about me,' said one child in the auditorium while another asked if she and the other students were 'being punished'

The Carnival made a $2,000-$3,000 profit

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...

edit on 5/26/2015 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 11:09 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

That's appalling.
Really sickening.

She really should brush more.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 11:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Domo1

Hair or teeth?

Please advise

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 11:11 PM
link   

That's beyond sick. I can understand having kids pay, to cover costs, but there should be some plan for those that can't. How many parents who could wold have sent in extra cash, if told some kids couldn't afford it? I'd bet a lot would have done so! They could have had fundraisers, too, to cover the ones that couldn't pay. The kids don't always understand that there isn't enough money, especially if parents don't want to share that with them. Plus, they made a profit! There is a word for that woman, that I can't/won't post here. Her actions have caused these kids a lot of hurt. This wasn't some off campus field trip, at cost, but right there in their faces. And, come on, ten bucks to eat popcorn, get a cheap toy, and bounce?? Schools don't seem to care about the kids, really.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Whiskey tango foxtrot, I repeat, whiskey tango foxtrot over!!!!

Say again your last, over?

Affirmative!!!

We have a FUBAR situation command, I repeat, FUBAR situation!!!

Please advise over!!!!!

Wtf is wrong with people?

It already made money, you really felt the need to out these kids in front of their peers as "the poor" kids?

I just don't have the words.........

If this was my kids....t&c does not allow me to express my reaction in a way that won't result in a banned status.

Suffice to say, there would have been 2 stories in the news from the place.

The second is likely me in jail on felony assault charges.

Why can't we just grab stupid people by their necks and smack them nonstop while constantly asking "wtf is wrong with you? Dont you have any sense at all? I mean how fudging stupid do you have to be? I bet your thinking a lot clearer now aren't you?".....

Just saying, that is my initial reaction.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 11:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Realtruth

originally posted by: Domo1

Hair or teeth?

Please advise

I think both ate too far gone for that to help now.

Hell I'm a smoker, and her teeth make mine look Chris rock white, and that guy has crazy white teeth.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 11:19 PM
link   
I would have instructed my kids to leave and come home, and we would had fun instead. Don't follow, listen to, obey or stand under any authority figure that is nothing but an employee of the people. Also, that woman looks to me like the typical self opinionated, elitist satanist type. I tend to assume the worst about many principals, because I know a few of them are what I said, memories of childhood strangeness and then connecting the dots on it. We had a couple sadists did really odd things with kids, and now that I know what was going on in that area and the kind of people involved from inside information and further experience/connection, got it quickly why those odd things and really awful behaviors occurred. I tend to have a complete dislike of authority figures as most of them are outright evil.
edit on 26-5-2015 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 11:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cuervo

I'm really hoping an opportunistic business owner steps in for some free publicity and throws a party exclusively for those kids.

With the age these kids are, then the other kids aren't going to understand why THEY are being excluded. As an adult you understand the reasoning, but as a young child, they do not. Just throw a massive party for all of them. No child to be excluded, let all the kids have fun, none left out and hopefully there will be some repercussions for Principal Creep who hates poor kids.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 11:34 PM
link   
OK, so where does it stop? At what point do we either stop having nice things for kids because not all the kids can pay or will pay on time or find some way to force someone else to cover those kids?

I remember stuff like this in school and there was always that kid who didn't have their money and missed out, and it wasn't always because they were the poor kid either. I know because I was the poor kid. My parents always found a way to get the $10, but I didn't always remember to tell my parents about trips on time.

link   
Ayn Rand would be so proud.

link   

originally posted by: Realtruth

Meet the Ass-hat that organized this sadistic event. Principal Joan Monroe

No carnival for me! No carnival for you either you miserable witch!

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 11:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Anyafaj

originally posted by: Cuervo

With the age these kids are, then the other kids aren't going to understand why THEY are being excluded. As an adult you understand the reasoning, but as a young child, they do not. Just throw a massive party for all of them. No child to be excluded, let all the kids have fun, none left out and hopefully there will be some repercussions for Principal Creep who hates poor kids.

You'd be surprised at what age kids know the score.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 11:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: LDragonFire
Ayn Rand would be so proud.

So would the people who think we should issue out first place medals for everyone so no one loses.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join