It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Interesting aircraft type things to see in California.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 06:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Imagewerx

It is indeed the onion! I camp out there at some lakes around 10,000 once or twice a year to hit the home guard trout up there. It's beautiful. However it is steep, so don't go up on a quarter tank of gas and stay in 2nd on the way down or risk having to pull over a few times to let the break cool.

If you're staying in Encino then excellent!!!! Stay out of LA proper. Take 101 to Kanan Rd. hang a left and enjoy. That will dump you off just north of Malibu. Take a right on PCH and drive up the coast for as long as you like. On the way back maybe stay a little longer on PCH heading south and use Malibu canyon or Topanga canyon as the route back to the Valley. Also, think about that Mulholland drive. Plenty to see view wise.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 06:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Got a feeling Bass is going to end up being the dog food.

How do you know though I don't resemble the creature from that movie? Especially after several weeks of being down wind of zaph. That's gotta take it's toll. I really hope you've gotten past that all bean taco's phase.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 07:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

Much more interesting than that. I really want to get out there and comb the desert one day.

There ya go.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 07:09 PM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

And I even have GPS coordinates to help out.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 07:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Sammamishman

Man we ain't found S!@#

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 07:21 PM
link   
a reply to: BASSPLYR

....well keep searching!

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 02:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: BASSPLYR

It is indeed the onion! I camp out there at some lakes around 10,000 once or twice a year to hit the home guard trout up there. It's beautiful. However it is steep, so don't go up on a quarter tank of gas and stay in 2nd on the way down or risk having to pull over a few times to let the break cool.

If you're staying in Encino then excellent!!!! Stay out of LA proper. Take 101 to Kanan Rd. hang a left and enjoy. That will dump you off just north of Malibu. Take a right on PCH and drive up the coast for as long as you like. On the way back maybe stay a little longer on PCH heading south and use Malibu canyon or Topanga canyon as the route back to the Valley. Also, think about that Mulholland drive. Plenty to see view wise.

I'll take a drive up and down the Onion if I get the chance,looks like the Google streetview car didn't make it though.

I'm staying on a road just off Mulholland Drive and have 'driven' it already on Google maps,so looking forward to doing it in the real world!

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 01:05 PM
link   
a reply to: punkinworks10

I've had another look at Google maps and it now lets me use CA120 if I want to.This is good as it cuts about 150 miles off my journey and seems to offer much nicer views than the Fresno route would.

So just to confirm,I can go from Oakhurst,up CA41 and sort of through the park to join CA120,and then of course down US395?

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 01:14 PM
link   

That's a good area just south of Mulholland in Encino. You'll have a good view of the valley, and even some wildlife. Mostly deer and coyote. Plus the air is fresher up there.

Also you're close to the getty museums. If you like Monet's and other impressionistic artwork check out the Getty off the 405. Like a ten minute drive from where you're staying if you go from Havenhurst (or whatever street feeds you best to Mulholland) to Mulholland hang a left (east) and go to Sepulveda or 405 and cruise down about 2 miles. The architecture and sunset/view alone from the Getty is worth it, plus it's free.

If you like Roman and Greek art I recommend the original Getty in Malibu off PCH. It's a small museum so you can see it all in about 2hours. Plus it has fantastic roman gardens as the house is a reconstruction of a roman villa/manor.

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Imagewerx,

Yes,
you can use CA 41 from Oakurst, the southern park entrance is only about 15 miles from oakhurst.
Tioga pass, CA 120 opened monday and should stay open until next winter. here is a link to road condtions and work in the park,www.nps.gov... www.nps.gov... It is about an hr from Oakhurst to the valley and about 4 hrs to US 395 at Lee Vinning.
Down the backside of tioga towards 395

Quality is a little wonky, might be the one handed filming on the enduro .

What ever you end up doing enjoy your trip to our country and my state.

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 03:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: BASSPLYR

That's a good area just south of Mulholland in Encino. You'll have a good view of the valley, and even some wildlife. Mostly deer and coyote. Plus the air is fresher up there.

Also you're close to the getty museums. If you like Monet's and other impressionistic artwork check out the Getty off the 405. Like a ten minute drive from where you're staying if you go from Havenhurst (or whatever street feeds you best to Mulholland) to Mulholland hang a left (east) and go to Sepulveda or 405 and cruise down about 2 miles. The architecture and sunset/view alone from the Getty is worth it, plus it's free.

If you like Roman and Greek art I recommend the original Getty in Malibu off PCH. It's a small museum so you can see it all in about 2hours. Plus it has fantastic roman gardens as the house is a reconstruction of a roman villa/manor.

I'm actually to the north of Mulholland drive and on the western side of Encino and overlooking the reservoir.I'm not an art fan at all I'm afraid but have seen pictures of the Getty villa and reckon that's worth a visit.Roman buildings are good though as we have quite a lot of those around here,and where would the British be without the help of the Romans?

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Thank you for the link,good webcams to look at as well including 'that' waterfall which seems to be doing pretty well at the moment!

Oh and next time you put a video up taken on a motorbike with microphone facing into the wind,can you remind viewers to turn the volume down first please,lucky I wasn't wearing headphones!!!!! (LOL).

I'm looking forward to this holiday VERY VERY much,don't ever bother coming to England as it's utter crap compared to what you have over there.

Back on topic now hopefully.So are there any bizarre abandoned aircraft in places you wouldn't expect to see them? I'm sure there used to be aircraft converted into roadside diners in that area,but can't find any mention of them anywhere?

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Nope you are correct. I got it screwed up. You are on the north side. And to think I live here and occasionally give people direction.

If you're into the local parks up by where you are. I recommend tree people as they have some excellent hiking trails on the crest of the chain of mountains where you'll be staying. Corner of Coldwater and Mulholland. Trails extend a good way to the east and offer panoramic views of the valley and Universal Studios. Close to that area on Mulholland is Runyon Canyon. Offers panoramic views of West Hollywood & Sunset Strip. Lots of celebrities walking their dogs up there. Used to see that James Bond chick Famke Jansen up there walking her dog. She looks every bit as good in real life.

As for the Romans.

"What have the Romans ever given us?!? Nothing!!!!

....Well there was the....."

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 03:56 PM
link   

If things had not of taken a wrong turn a few months ago, i would be on a plane right now on my way to the TT on the Isle of Man.
You guys have old stuff and lots of history, and the ballsiest moto racers.

BTW, when you go over the pass, if youve got a couple hrs, head over to bodie.

Bodie State Historic Park is a genuine California gold-mining ghost town. Visitors can walk down the deserted streets of a town that once had a population of nearly 10,000 people. The town is named for Waterman S. Body (William Bodey), who had discovered small amounts of gold in hills north of Mono Lake. In 1875, a mine cave-in revealed pay dirt, which led to purchase of the mine by the Standard Company in 1877. People flocked to Bodie and transformed it from a town of a few dozen to a boomtown.

www.parks.ca.gov...

No aircraft im aware of anymore, there used to be a dauntless dive bomber mounted to the top of gas station, in a little cow town south of here, but its been gone for years.

edit on 27-5-2015 by punkinworks10 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 05:15 PM
link   
a reply to: BASSPLYR

No worries,I'm the same when I give local directions,and I've lived here all my life

I spent a long time choosing this location.I always like to try to stay on the very outskirts of any town or city,so open country on one side for some hiking and nice views and still close to civilisation on the other.I'd guess about ten minutes or less to the place Tom Petty liked to sing about?

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Maybe next year for the TT then? You've got history as well,but it's all crammed into 200 years instead of our 2000 (ish).

I had been reading up on Bodie some time back,but although they call it a ghost town,the thousand or so visitors they get every day would kinda spoil the illusion for me.I'd like to see a REAL ghost town where the only inhabitants are real ghosts,but as they're all a long long way off the proper roads,I couldn't risk damaging my hire car.Also I saw the newer version of 'The Hills Have Eyes' quite recently which has made me a bit less adventurous in that respect.

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 05:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Imagewerx

Ok thanks again Zaph,I'll definitely take a look.

So are there any other suggestions please,any random Lockheed Constellations converted into roadside diners etc?

Just sneak into Area 51 for us and take pictures since the movie made it look so easy lol. Just close enough for pics.

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 05:48 PM
link   

You will indeed be less than ten minutes from Ventura Blvd. The street Tom Petty sang about. But it's just a average ordinary street. Tons of places to eat along it.

Watch for Rattle snakes in the morning if you decide to walk around the neighborhood or on the trails. They are harmless in the aspect that they aren't aggressive and are usually just sunning themselves in the middle of the street. Just keep about 5 feet away and your fine.

As far as haunted locations look no further than the Hollywood hills. Tons of haunted locations there. Plus "Houdini's house" on Laurel Canyon is always neat to look at. I even grew up in a haunted house in them hills. Although it's now owned by a celebrity. A few celebrities actually have owned it since my dad sold it a long time ago.

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Too bad you're going back when you are. You're going to just miss Red Flag 15-3.

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 06:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Patriotsrevenge

originally posted by: Imagewerx

Ok thanks again Zaph,I'll definitely take a look.

So are there any other suggestions please,any random Lockheed Constellations converted into roadside diners etc?

Just sneak into Area 51 for us and take pictures since the movie made it look so easy lol. Just close enough for pics.

With a perimeter that long,surely they can't be watching ALL of it?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join