It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Interesting aircraft type things to see in California.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 04:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: Imagewerx

Try the entrance to Plant 42 by the Air Park. I think there's a visitor center there. And of course go by the Skunk Works hangar. I caught a glimpse of an itty bitty piece of something when they left the doors open.

I will. You do of course know they leave that hanger slightly open on purpose,just enough to get a bad view of an old Star Wars prop they keep there that they know will get the conspiracy forums buzzing

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Yeah, they were taunting me. You couldn't tell anything was in there until the picture was played with. There's TECHNICALLY nowhere to stop on that road that isn't emergency parking only. My wife told me to turn around, park in one of those spots, and she sat in the car while I ran up the street to get pictures of the hangar.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 05:05 PM
link   
a reply to: punkinworks10

My plans have changed since I made that travel thread.I'm now going via Death Valley,so will be driving south through Fresno and up to Panamint Springs resort,one day in the valley,a night in Tocopa Hot Springs before finally heading down to Los Angeles.
My original plan was to go from Oakhurst,back up through the park and try to get a quick look at Mono lake before going down 395.For some reason Google maps refuses to give me any routes along CA120,I understand it's closed during the winter which could explain why it won't let me use that route? So I reckon south through Fresno and Bakersfield,then across and north along the 395 and across into the valley.It's a shame as I was really looking forward to the drive down the Pacific Coast Highway,there's just not enough time to do everything I want to see and do.

I will allow for what you say about the GPS and won't be in Oakhurst for very long but will definitely check out the local eating places if I can make the time.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 05:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benzer

Western Museum of Flight at the Torrance airport. Has a number of Northrop goodies , it used to be at Hawthorne airport the old Northrop Aircraft plant. Went there a few times since my father worked at Northrop.

Found it on the map,see it's got quite a few prototypes so should be quite interesting if I manage to get there.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 05:08 PM
link   

New Mexico.
There are a few interesting things laying around out there.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Oh, make sure you get to Palmdale on a weekday. The Air Park is open M-F.

Thanks,I do remember that bit from your photos taken there.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Yeah, they were taunting me. You couldn't tell anything was in there until the picture was played with. There's TECHNICALLY nowhere to stop on that road that isn't emergency parking only. My wife told me to turn around, park in one of those spots, and she sat in the car while I ran up the street to get pictures of the hangar.

The law in England says that as long as you're not on private property when taking photos of places like this,there's nothing they can do despite the signs they put up saying otherwise,just used to scare people into thinking they can't take photos.Is it the same in America,or more specifically California?

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 05:17 PM
link   

New Mexico.
There are a few interesting things laying around out there.

You mean old weather balloons on ranches that MIGHT be mistaken for oooooohhhhh say ET's runabout?

I'd like to go there,but it's just too far out for the amount of time I've got.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 05:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

I'm surprised that a white pickup didn't peel out of the facilities entrance and pull you over for taking photos, and that some Paul Blart looking guy didn't saunter up to your car with a flashlight, thumbing his belt going while rocking on his heels going, "Mr. Zaphod....58 is it? I presume this is Mrs Zaphod? (mrs Zaphod nods) Yeah, uhhhh...Didn't we tell you last time not to come back around here sneaking photos? At this time, I'm gunna have to ask you to step out of the vehicle." More white trucks are seen down the road inbound.

Seriously aren't there lookouts to see if people slow down and try doing the looky loo thing? Or to stop and question people for taking pictures of hangers. I would if I ran the security. Who gives a damn about it all happening on a public road.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Yeah, you can photograph from the street all you want. If you cross the wooden fence, that's another story. But as long as you're on the public side, they can't stop you.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Much more interesting than that. I really want to get out there and comb the desert one day.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 05:24 PM
link   
a reply to: BASSPLYR

Nope. Legally they can't stop you if you're not on their property. I didn't sneak anything when I took them. I stood there blatantly, camera in hand, on the sidewalk snapping away for several minutes.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 05:27 PM
link   

The drive along 395 is plenty interesting in lou of PCH. You can take a side trip to see the sequoias and you'll be heading right past China Lake. The south sierras are imposing and beautiful. If your driving between lonepine and bishop and are driving a v6 or better take a drive to the top of independence peak. You can park at around 9,400 feet and then hike up to about 10,000. The drive back down the hill is breathtaking since you have a view the entire time of death valley from several thousand feet in the air and it feels like you are flying. If you're going to stay in Los Angeles for a day, take a drive up PCH starting from the California incline on ocean and arizon in the city of santa monica. It will dump you on PCH heading north. From there just drive for about 30 minutes to travel past Malibu, zuma beach, all the way up to Oxnard and turn back around. You'll see enough pacific ocean and PCH, but won't have to spend a whole day driving along it.

Also if your in LA visit the Space Shuttle. She's on display near down town at the aerospace museum.

Stay away from Hollywood Blvd if you can help it. It's rather disappointing for tourists and a let down. But the Hollywood Hills are great. If your daring take a drive along Mulholland. Just watch out for the impatient locals that want to drive 50 MPH up there. But you'll get a panoramic view of Los Angeles.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Damn I was hoping to rent a Mall Cop security uniform and pull you over next time you were there taking pictures. Mostly as an excuse to search your car looking for other photos of other good looking birds.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 05:35 PM
link   

I'm not dumb enough to keep the good stuff on me.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Hmmm... Must find zaphs home address. You'll be out on the road for a few weeks you say?

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 05:48 PM
link   

What home address? I ain't got one of those, and my storage unit is nowhere near where I used to live.

I ain't dumb.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 05:59 PM
link   

SO this storage unit you say.....

Ok bad Jokes aside. One day I'll figure out who you are and when I do it will be a lot like the final scene from Big Trouble in Little China where that hairy monster sneaks aboard Jack's truck. Just when you think the nightmare is over Zaph....

Channel 5 news:
"And in lighter news today a motorist found a stowaway in his vehicle this evening. He said he started to notice something was wrong when his dog's food supply was getting unusually depleted. Authorities said the short and disheveled stowaway was probably hiding in the back of the vehicle for weeks, most likely subsiding on stolen dog food. No news as to the identity of the vagabond stowaway, but authorities say he keeps babbling incoherently about some green light in the sky and trying to find evidence so that people would stop saying he's crazy. When asked the motorist if he knew what the stowaway was talking about he simply shrugged his shoulders and said ' no idea, crazy people I tell you'. Well that's it for tonights news stay tuned for the weekend weather report."

edit on 26-5-2015 by BASSPLYR because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 06:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: BASSPLYR

The drive along 395 is plenty interesting in lou of PCH. You can take a side trip to see the sequoias and you'll be heading right past China Lake. The south sierras are imposing and beautiful. If your driving between lonepine and bishop and are driving a v6 or better take a drive to the top of independence peak. You can park at around 9,400 feet and then hike up to about 10,000. The drive back down the hill is breathtaking since you have a view the entire time of death valley from several thousand feet in the air and it feels like you are flying. If you're going to stay in Los Angeles for a day, take a drive up PCH starting from the California incline on ocean and arizon in the city of santa monica. It will dump you on PCH heading north. From there just drive for about 30 minutes to travel past Malibu, zuma beach, all the way up to Oxnard and turn back around. You'll see enough pacific ocean and PCH, but won't have to spend a whole day driving along it.

Also if your in LA visit the Space Shuttle. She's on display near down town at the aerospace museum.

Stay away from Hollywood Blvd if you can help it. It's rather disappointing for tourists and a let down. But the Hollywood Hills are great. If your daring take a drive along Mulholland. Just watch out for the impatient locals that want to drive 50 MPH up there. But you'll get a panoramic view of Los Angeles.

Is that Onion Valley Road for Independence Peak? I'll be in Los Angeles for six days and staying in Encino and had planned the drive to Malibu already.There's not really all that much I want to go right into LA for,so the coast drive will be something nice to do instead.
I saw Atlantis at Kennedy last year but it's always nice to meet other members of the family.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 06:02 PM
link   

What makes you think they'd find a stowaway?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join