It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boeing discussing international A-10 Warthog sales

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 12:26 PM
link   
a reply to: generik

I honestly I think they would be an excellent platform for attacking small coastal vessels in the South China Sea or Persian Gulf.

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 12:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: GAOTU789
a reply to: johnwick

We've upgraded since you last seen us in action. We now have three P-51's, 4 Hurricanes, 3 Spitfires and these crazy things with the propellers on top of them. I think the kids call them helicopters but I don't know. All this technology confuses me.

Omg!!!!

" honey lock up the bacon, it about to happen!!"

"What, the Canadians? You always do this"

"Damnit I'm serious this time, they have helicopters!!!!"

"Seriously!"

"Yes!!"

"They are too polite for that, they would ask our permission before they invaded us"

That's it, I have safely locked it away, your plans are finished haha!!!!

Seriously though, you guys really don't have CAS?

I'm honestly shocked.

I thought you guys were #hot when I trained with your guys at fort Sill.

They really knew their way around the artillery.

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 12:58 PM
link   
a reply to: johnwick

We do have Griffons but they aren't ideal for CAS but we make do with what we have. That's about it though. A half dozen or so A-10's would seriously make a huge difference to our missions.

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 01:03 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

If you'll hunt through some of my previous threads you'll see me ranting about this more than anything. There's been one, yes, one CSAF that came up through AMC. The others were all TAC/ACC. They don't want a ugly slow plane to do the mission. The only reason they're getting a new bomber is because they carry more payload and are getting more vulnerable.

If it ain't a fighter, it ain't #.

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 01:08 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

At the time everyone had their own platforms on order or in development. Then by the time they realized how good it was, they already had the role filled.

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 06:43 PM
link   
I cant see Australia wanting them.Army here wont touch fixed wing..

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 06:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: generik
i know the Philippines is wanting at least 12 of them.

Despite objections from various sectors, it is very likely that the A-10 will be retired by the US Air Force, when that happens, a group of FilAm servicemen is proposing and requesting for the transfer of at least 12 operational A-10s plus another 12 reserve/parts source to the Philippine Air Force to show United States sincerity in helping its close ally in South East Asia.
www.manilalivewire.com...

these aircraft might be useful for dealing with the Chinese bandits that are illegally building island bases out of reefs and trying to steal territory from the Philippines among others.

I may be wrong. But I thought the A-10 was pretty much only good if you have air superiority.

Can't see the Philippians getting that over China and the A-10 would be a sitting duck for there jets.

Could be wrong.
edit on 21-5-2015 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 07:07 PM
link   

No you're not. They're vulnerable to modern air defenses and fighters. Their best bet for surviving a fighter attack is to force them down into the weeds where they live and lose them.

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 07:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blackfinger

I'd like the UK to get some too, but I fear the British Army Air Corps also has a penchant for helo's - in fact, they are about to sign a new contract to refurb the Apache's.

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 07:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

No you're not. They're vulnerable to modern air defenses and fighters. Their best bet for surviving a fighter attack is to force them down into the weeds where they live and lose them.

Still doesn't negate there usefulness in the right situation though.
Usa will likely 9/10 have air superiority in any situation.

Even for something like theFalklands war they would have been nice for the UK to have.

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 07:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: stumason

originally posted by: Blackfinger

I'd like the UK to get some too, but I fear the British Army Air Corps also has a penchant for helo's - in fact, they are about to sign a new contract to refurb the Apache's.

A couple stationed in the Falklands would be quite the deterance along with the typhoons.

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 07:14 PM
link   

They would have been useless in 1982 - until we took Stanley, there would have been no where to fly them from (Ascension is too far). The Sea Harrier was the best fit for the job and it did a bloody good one too.

But, we could have used these in any number of other conflicts we have got involved in. Perhaps if we had RAF crews in them during the two Gulf wars, we might not have been on the receiving end of their rather considerable firepower as we were when the Yanks blew up our boys.

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 07:15 PM
link   

They're useful in situations where you don't have air superiority, just not AS useful.

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 09:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Blackfinger
No you are right Blackfinger because that would make too much sense.

Why operate a proven airframe that will work adequately in the kind of slow burn low intensity conflicts we find ourselves meddling in, when you can buy poisonously expensive ARH Tigers that cost even more to operate per flight hour, have less range, infinitely more vulnerable to ground fire, are far from proving worth it and probably will prove far more unreliable than an A-10 when (or is that if?) deployed to an active conflict in the *ss end of some developing/third world failed state with no infrastructure to speak of.

The Australian Army doesn't get involved in fixed wing for the same reason the US Army doesn't, it treads on Air force toes and they dont like anything not in keeping with the images on the walls of the fighter squadron officers clubs. Plus it would compete for funds with the Just So Failed.

So there wont be any A-10's in Oz.

LEE.

edit on 21-5-2015 by thebozeian because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 11:54 PM
link   
Only reason we got Tigers was because we broke one while taking it for a test drive..

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 12:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Blackfinger

You guys haven't learned yet that when you hear the pilot say, "hey guys, watch this! " it's a Bad Thing.

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 10:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58
Yeah, that probably explains why we bought NH-90's as well, We would be better off with EC-725 Caracals by the same manufacturer which actually have greater performance at 2/3rd's the cost! Somebody powerful in the DMO must have had a serious coke habit about 10-12 years ago.

LEE.

edit on 22-5-2015 by thebozeian because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 10:29 AM
link   
a reply to: thebozeian

Procurement seems to be a universal problem. Between the bribes, and general issues it's a miracle anything ever gets done right.

The Philippines are trying to get two maritime patrol aircraft. Seven bids were submitted for phase I. Five were disqualified on opening for paperwork problems. The two that weren't, we're disqualified because they didn't meet requirements.

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 10:45 AM
link   
When the idea for sales of A-10s to foreign militaries crashes and burns, it'll be prime time for Textron AirLand to swoop in with their Scorpion.

Edit to add: It might lack the BRRRT factor, but nothing a couple conformal gun pods wouldn't fix.
edit on 5/22/2015 by cmdrkeenkid because: Added additional response.

posted on May, 23 2015 @ 07:20 AM
link   
a reply to: cmdrkeenkid
Actually I have no problem with the Scorpion grabbing some sales because for a lot of nations it works as a very cost effective system. But used A-10's are a great alternative for low intensity conflict theater's.

LEE.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join