It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boeing discussing international A-10 Warthog sales

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 10:56 AM
link   
With the AirForces blessing Boeing might pursue foreign customers for the A-10. Boeing is the closest thing to a prime contractor for the FairChild Republic A-10, since they own the tech. data for modifications and are currently working on re-winging the fleet that will take until the early part of 2017.

I for one think there are a ton of potential customers out there for the hogs. Namely every former soviet block state that are on Russia door step would love to have one of the most potent tank buster CAS aircraft ever built.

At a Boeing-sponsored media event in San Antonio, Texas, today, the company’s chief engineer of off-Boeing programmes, Paul Cejas, suggested the US government might pursue international sales of upgraded A-10s. Dozens of A-10s are currently in near-flyaway storage at the air force’s boneyard facility in Arizona, and could be brought back into the operational fleet at any time.

Cejas says he has no exact customers in mind, but Boeing has "begun early discusssions."

“It’s something we would be interested in, but again, it depends where the air force goes with retirements," he says. “If we go that path we would be looking at a modification. It all depends on what the air force does. We have no jurisdiction, and we’ll support whatever they need and we’re positioned for that.”

www.flightglobal.com...
edit on 21-5-2015 by Sammamishman because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 11:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Sammamishman

They have 100 converted to C standard, with another 70 under contract. They can't stop the contract now, so if the leadership succeeds in getting rid of them in the near future thru wasted all that life in the new wing. Even if they take old As out of AMARG and upgrade them both Boeing and the customer come out ahead.

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Sweet! I'll take two.

Just as soon as I win the lottery.

Maybe I can get one tax-exempt - " Of course it's farming equipment, it plows an entire field in less than 5 seconds. "

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 11:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: IpoopThere4IAM
Sweet! I'll take two.

Just as soon as I win the lottery.

Maybe I can get one tax-exempt - " Of course it's farming equipment, it plows an entire field in less than 5 seconds. "

Or as a crop-duster...

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 11:10 AM
link   

edit on 21-5-2015 by _Del_ because: Double post, bc ... Well, I don't know why

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 11:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

That's why I can really see Boeing to push legislature as well as the AF for foreign sales, bleed as much capital out of the old hogs as they can since there is a lot of potential life left in them.

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 11:15 AM
link   
I hope Canada gets inline for some of these. We are now an offensive country involved in wars and peace keeping is a thing of the past. If that's our new MO, we need these to provide CAS for our guys with our pilots in the cockpit and it will end our reliance on allies for CAS.

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 11:16 AM
link   
I love that it's a gun -- with a plane built around it.

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 11:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
I love that it's a gun -- with a plane built around it.

That sound..buuuuuurp!

It is an amazing machine!!!!

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Im surprised sales were not open when they first came out.

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 11:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: GAOTU789
I hope Canada gets inline for some of these. We are now an offensive country involved in wars and peace keeping is a thing of the past. If that's our new MO, we need these to provide CAS for our guys with our pilots in the cockpit and it will end our reliance on allies for CAS.

Hey hey hey now!!!

I like the south park version of the Canadian air force!!!

You crazy polite canuks need to keep your ham"bacon" covered hands off our birds!!!

You guys aren't allowed more than 6 biplanes and a fleet of carrier pigeons!!!!!

We all know your plans!!!

You aren't fooling us at all.

Pretend to be super nice and polite, then when we are lulled into believing it, you strike!!!

We are keeping the real bacon I tell you, you will not get your hands on it!!!

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 11:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

I think it is like some of our other top tech, ours only...well and isreal, they seem to get whatever they want.

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 11:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: johnwick

originally posted by: crazyewok

I think it is like some of our other top tech, ours only...well and isreal, they seem to get whatever they want.

A-10 not exactly top tec. Its from the era of F-15/16/18's

Its useful but not what id call on par with B-2's.

Cant see a issue of selling the to close allies like Canada/UK/Australia/Japan ect not like they will be turned on you guys and you have sold far more delicate stuff at least to the UK and as you said Israel.

Hell you might even be selling F-35's to the wonderful regime of Saudi Arabia....

edit on 21-5-2015 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 11:54 AM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

Hell you might even be selling F-35's to the wonderful regime of Saudi Arabia....

What? The Kingdom of Saud are our most wonderful allies. Evah!!

Sell 'em some B-2's...now!!

/sarcasm off.

The fuss about Israel goes on and on, yet the glorious Sauds get a free pass...constantly. Or nearly so.

sorry, you touched a nerve.

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 12:01 PM
link   
a reply to: johnwick

We've upgraded since you last seen us in action. We now have three P-51's, 4 Hurricanes, 3 Spitfires and these crazy things with the propellers on top of them. I think the kids call them helicopters but I don't know. All this technology confuses me.

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 12:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Sammamishman

My husband's favorite aircraft of all time! I'll send him the link. His birthday's coming up! LOL!

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 12:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: GAOTU789
a reply to: johnwick

We've upgraded since you last seen us in action. We now have three P-51's, 4 Hurricanes, 3 Spitfires and these crazy things with the propellers on top of them. I think the kids call them helicopters but I don't know. All this technology confuses me.

would not put too much faith in those Spitfires and Hurricanes us Brits probably ragged them round abit before we sold em to ya gullible canukes like those dodgy subs we palmed off on ya

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 12:05 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

In all seriousness, those subs cost a Canadian Sailor his life due to their condition. That's one I don't joke about.

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 12:08 PM
link   

called the "best close air support platform ever" by the general in charge of Air Combat Command.

From the article linked.

Really? Then why, oh why, is the Air Force so hot to get rid of it, and replace it with an aircraft (F35), that isn't as capable, whose only advantage is that it's faster.

The fighter mafia is alive and well apparently...

The choice is between jack of all trades/master of none. Or, master of one.

The A10 still has a place on the modern battlefield.

They're going to learn the lessons of Vietnam all over again... Oh, joy.
edit on 5/21/2015 by seagull because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 12:14 PM
link   
i know the Philippines is wanting at least 12 of them.

Despite objections from various sectors, it is very likely that the A-10 will be retired by the US Air Force, when that happens, a group of FilAm servicemen is proposing and requesting for the transfer of at least 12 operational A-10s plus another 12 reserve/parts source to the Philippine Air Force to show United States sincerity in helping its close ally in South East Asia.
www.manilalivewire.com...

these aircraft might be useful for dealing with the Chinese bandits that are illegally building island bases out of reefs and trying to steal territory from the Philippines among others.
edit on 21-5-2015 by generik because: typo

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join