It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meanwhile..... In the South China Sea.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Just saw this article on CNN. Stating that it's reporters were in a P-8 near disputed islands in the South China Sea. Their report claims China warned them away eight times.

If you really think about the following article you might see what I did.

Q: Why would the Navy put reporters in a maritime patrol plane then fly them over disputed areas?
A: Because they've been doing it for quite a while without publicity and decided they needed some.

Q: Why do they need publicity now?
A: Because China made a protest a couple days ago.

The one question I didn't get answered is my biggest question though. I understand the islands are being disputed by many nations. But why are we in the forefront?

We have allies in the region who are protesting the expansion. Why aren't their navies and Air Force conducting the actual protest missions? We Should not be leading the charge, we should only be there as a reserve in case of armed aggression.

Above the South China Sea (CNN)The Chinese navy issued warnings eight times as a U.S. surveillance plane on Wednesday swooped over islands that Beijing is using to extend its zone of influence.

Seeking to further challenge China's military build-up in the South China Sea, the plane conducted a reconnaissance mission over a contested military installation being constructed on a manmade series of islands.

A CNN team was given exclusive access to fly onboard the P8-A Poseidon, America's most advanced surveillance and submarine-hunting aircraft, as it flew over the islands.

The U.S. is considering flying such surveillance missions even closer over the islands and sailing U.S. warships within miles of them as part of a new, more robust U.S. military response to make clear the U.S. does not recognize China's territorial claims.

This is the first time the U.S. has allowed journalists on board an operational mission of the P8 over the contested waters, and the first time it has declassified video of China's building activity and audio of Chinese challenges of a U.S. aircraft.

Snoopy versus the Red Baron

Edit; Sorry I'm still chuckling over the source name.

edit on 20-5-2015 by Greathouse because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 05:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Greathouse

They occasionally allow it. They weren't doing anything sensitive.

It's still a non story. Japan flies in the area, China warns and intercepts them. China flies in the area Japan warns and intercepts them. We fly in the area China warns and intercepts us. It's almost a weekly event.

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 05:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

I was reasonably sure of that. I guess the story is we make such a big fuss about Russia doing it. Why is there not much news of it in the South China Sea. ( I also know that Russia doing it is not actually a news story)

I grant you that we hear about it from time to time. But it just doesn't seem to be as big a deal when we do it. This just came across from CNN as a exclusive breaking news story.

But then we're talking about CNN I guess?

Lets just see who else picks it up?

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 05:29 PM
link   

The US is an ally of other nations in the region, and much of what China "claims" is actually international waters or the exclusive economic zone of another country. The US has every right to be there under international laws, unlike China which seems to want to simply ignore international laws and norms to snatch up strategically important islands and ocean.

And why shouldn't this be reported? Or would you prefer to only find out about this dispute when China launches an attack on one of their neighbours and the US base there is destroyed in a surprise attack?

Like it or not, the US has an interest, we all do.

I really don't get this attitude of "keep your nose out", we did that in the 1930's remember? That all turned out rosy. When a nation is being threatening and attempting to steal land and resources from other countries, we need to be informed, we need to be vocal and we need to assist our allies and attempt to stabilize international relations.

Ignoring this and letting China walk all over its neighbours is certainly not an acceptable option.

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 05:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Rocker2013

I understand agree and have stated everything you said. With one exception, we would do just as well showing military support for the countries involved in this dispute. Our presence would be enough, we do not have to lead the way every time.

By the way it was not international Waters. Territorial claims on the water/Islands/reefs overlapped.

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Well thank goodness that that area of the earth has a long long history to refer to .Sad that the Pentagon took their CNN news spin crew to craft the new rhetoric on the area and who is disputing what and with who .I guess the regional powers both small and great can either enter into dialog and come to a agreement . No need for a foreign power as aggressive as the Americans to enter into it unless they want to start another conflict . China is on the grow and has lofty ambitions to include nations within it's sphere . imo

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 05:45 PM
link   
a reply to: the2ofusr1

The funny thing is. The first two posters completely missed the premise of the thread. Dead issue Yep I knew that going in, a nice patriotic post, that's normally what I do.

But thank you for catching the point of my thread. This reeks heavily of spin Doctors on CNN.

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 05:46 PM
link   

We aren't leading the way. We fly missions to keep an eye on things, but Japan is leading the way in this area.

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Japan is leading the way in the East China Sea, but not the South China Sea. Irregardless my stance is that the US should not be leading any of the missions.

We should be in overwatch mode.

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 06:02 PM
link   

We are. Flying missions to monitor isn't leading the way.

Japan is caught up in the South China Sea as well. With the changes to their Constitution allowing weapons sales, and the Chinese actions, Japan is becoming friendlier with other nationsthat they have a bad history with.

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 06:02 PM
link   
You do realize that the area they were in was the Spratley Islands claimed by both the Philippines and Vietnam. Neither country claims all of them and use them as an EEZ, not actual territorial waters. There is a big difference between 12 miles and 200 miles and China can claim neither. They are trying to go back to the 9 dash line and claim centuries old claims to the South China Sea.

Not too long ago China floated an oil rig in the Vitenamese EEZ claiming it was theirs due to the 9 dash line. Big kid on the blck is playing the part of the bully. The Philippine Navy can't really stand up to the Chinese Navy. We are alllies and really just want to know what is ging on in the area to help our allies.
edit on 5/20/2015 by hoagy1199 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 06:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

They occasionally allow it. They weren't doing anything sensitive.

It's still a non story. Japan flies in the area, China warns and intercepts them. China flies in the area Japan warns and intercepts them. We fly in the area China warns and intercepts us. It's almost a weekly event.

If anyone would actually watch the video CNN did, they would see how out of line China is. They grabbed a few small Tropical reefs and destroyed them by dredging then pumping sand onto them Dubai style to make a new Military base close to the Philippines and way way far away from mainland China. For them to boss anyone around from that area, is purely uncalled for.

It would be like the U.S. claiming an Island off Russia and building a base there.

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 06:13 PM
link   
a reply to: hoagy1199

The only one in the area that even stands a chance is Japan, and only with help. They're getting closer to Vietnam and the Philippines though thanks to China. Both have plans to buy patrol craft and other equipment from Japan.

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 06:14 PM
link   

You do realize the South China Sea is off the west coast of the Philippines thousands of miles from Japan? I'm curious is that within Japan's maritime aircraft flight envelope or did they change their constitution again to install a new airbase in that area?

Honestly I'm surprised you're still on this thread. Yours was the first post and you gave your kiss of death and called it a nonissue. Has it become an issue now?

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 06:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

We are. Flying missions to monitor isn't leading the way.

Japan is caught up in the South China Sea as well. With the changes to their Constitution allowing weapons sales, and the Chinese actions, Japan is becoming friendlier with other nationsthat they have a bad history with.

I would have had some choice words for the Chicom yelling "You Go" to the P3 and Commercial aircraft flying over. I would have said WE BIG BROTHER, YOU NO WANA MESS WITH, YOU GO HOME!!! LOL.

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 06:21 PM
link   

This flight? No. The Spratly Islands issue, yes.

Japan is slowly attempting to build an alliance with Vietnam and the Philippines, with the idea that they all have a common neighbor to keep an eye on. They're trying to build a NATO type Alliance of Asian nations.

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 06:30 PM
link   

I've been reading about the ongoing cooperation including Taiwan.

I apologize for snapping at you in the last post. Your first post irritated me it seem like you did not attempt to get my message from my OP.

There is only one thing that irritates me on this site. It's when members assume that naturally other members are ignorant of the facts.

Nope I did a thread on the destruction of Reefs from military reclamation. It might just be me but I think it's more polite not to assume everybody I am talking to is stupid.

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 06:34 PM
link   

THAT is how one plays COLDWAR after all,it's just more of the same.
edit on 20-5-2015 by cavtrooper7 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 06:36 PM
link   

I don't assume anyone is stupid, I assume that they don't follow military activities the way I do. I've found that many people don't.

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 06:39 PM
link   

About time. It only took seventy years... Memories die hard.

It makes so much more sense for Japan to take the lead roll here. They're much closer to it, and they've claims in the area...the US doesn't...other than treaty obligations.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join