It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MV-22 crashes in Hawaii

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Of coarse..didnt you know there are no dual rotor aircraft around so deskjockey journos and experts (drips under pressure) can make up anything they want to validate their credentials...

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 08:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: _Del_

originally posted by: buddah6
Sounds like media bullsh*t to me! They also believe that aircraft fly by "pure f**king magic" and when the PFM generator fails the plane crashes.

Along with the journo trying to make it sound like only tilt-rotors experience VRS as opposed to a trait shared by all rotary-wing aircraft...

If they can't get the aerodynamics of an airplane right they sure to hell can't understand rotary wing flight. Even some helicopter pilots don't understand fully the dynamics of helicopters.

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 08:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Blackfinger
Of coarse..didnt you know there are no dual rotor aircraft around so deskjockey journos and experts (drips under pressure) can make up anything they want to validate their credentials...

Tandem rotor helicopters have different dynamics than single rotor helicopters. Tandem helos like the Chinook need to have stability augmentation systems (SAS) to overcome the tendencies to fly sideways. A side-by-side rotor aircraft like the Osprey have unique characteristics that is new to me so I'm not an expert.

The news people are little more that talking heads that's why the public is so clueless! If they reported details and facts they would bore the viewers and they wouldn't have an audience. They resort to the PFM approach to reporting and scare the audience.

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 09:25 AM
link   
a reply to: buddah6

Well, in their defense, just as with the bumblebee, science can't really explain how helicopters fly. They're nothing but a few thousand parts flying in very close formation.

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 10:28 AM
link   
a reply to: cmdrkeenkid

Calpoly has a video of why bumble bee fly. They did the study for DARPA's micro bot testing. I don't have the education to explain it but here goes. The upper wing causes small air vortices and the lower wing pushes against them causing lift.

Rotary wing dynamics is understood but it takes only the top 10% of the aero engineers to build a helicopter. They are few and far between. Even Igor Sikorsky had an army of engineers for the V-300 and Bell had a true genius in Art Young. Art wasn't an engineer but a physicist, IIRC.

I thought I understood RW dynamics until I took up RC helicopters. I was trying to apply full size rules to a 1/6 size aircraft and was it ever humbling.

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Unfortunately a second marine succumbed to his wounds today.

www.marinecorpstimes.com...

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 08:25 PM
link   
a reply to: buddah6

I was trying to lay the sarcasm on pretty thick there.

Yeah, the dynamics of flying from full scale, in the cockpit flying to R/C flying are wildly different.

a reply to: Sammamishman

That sucks to hear.

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 05:08 AM
link   
Respect to both...

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 01:02 AM
link   
The aircraft spent 45 seconds in brownout conditions before both engines suffered reduced power and the left engine suffered a compressor stall apparently. The right didn't have enough power to keep them airborne because of dust and dirt in the engine.

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 04:24 AM
link   
You would think you would tell that something is wrong a lot sooner than 45 seconds.Thats an eternity...

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 05:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Blackfinger

Marine Aviation had set 60 seconds as the maximum amount of time you could hover in brownout conditions.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join