It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Air Force Upgrades Weapons, Radios for B-2 Stealth Bomber

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 08:53 PM
link   

I just saw this one.
Interesting that they are going to be adding a slew of upgrades to the b-2.
You'd think that it would already have some of these things already.
But the b-2 has been around for some time and needs the upgrades.

I see that they are upgrading computers to allow for more software...... what kind of software?

The Air Force is making upgrades to the communications and weapons systems carried by the B-2 bomber by accelerating development of an air-launched, guided nuclear cruise missile and preparing to produce modifications to the existing B-61 nuclear bomb, service officials said.

The B-2 upgrades will outfit the attack aircraft with next generation digital nuclear weapons called the B-61 Mod 12 with a tail kit — and speed up development of a nuclear cruise missile called the Long Range Stand-Off weapon or, LRSO, Eric Single, chief of the Global Strike division for Air Force acquisition, said in an interview with Military​.com.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 09:07 PM
link   
a reply to: grey580

Software to talk to weapons. Probably AEHF too eventually.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 09:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

look at the price that on that LRSO

dtic.mil...

it might as well fly its self there with out the b-2 for that price. and if it needed a ride in the B-2 then it should at least serve coffee or come with a bed to sleep on the way there for the crew.

If the LRSO is delivered by the B-2 i would think that it would also need to have some stealth to it. you would think the smart radar operators would just track back the LRSO to a common launch point and alert SAM sites for visual tracking of the B-2.

and i get it that the B-2 can extend the LRSO range but still with all the ACM and other cruise missile tech why would it cost so much to make a new one? its not hyper sonic and its just a B-61 warhead, and they have been around for a while so why the big cost?

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 09:28 PM
link   
a reply to: penroc3

Whoops, misread that post.

The LRSO is to the Tomahawk what the Tomahawk was to the Regulus. It's much more advanced, has a significant range increase, lower signature, etc.
edit on 5/14/2015 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 09:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

lol, its late and i don't think anyone else saw it.

has there been a confirmed shoot down of a TLAM? i know were not really shooting them at anyone with good AA but still..

will the LRSO be able to fly in swarm formations with that one missile that can project its self as other jets and has limited EW?

i guess if you going to nuke someone jamming and EW is kind of a secondary concern

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 09:39 PM
link   

A number of them over Iraq were shot down. Some over Serbia too. They're fairly vulnerable. LRSO will have a conventional warhead as well and will serve in that role too.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 10:30 PM
link   
a reply to: grey580

Any word on if it'll get that fancy new antenna that's been showing up lately? The gold dish one. I think it's for anti-GPS jamming.

I never knew they had been shot down either. Just always seemed too agile and low enough to not really provide an opportunity for it. But I found this, speaking about the missiles' operational history in the first Gulf War.

During the war, 297 Tomahawks were fired... At least 2 (and possibly as many as 6) were shot down, most or all of them in a single quickly arranged stream attack...

Source
edit on 5/14/2015 by cmdrkeenkid because: Fixing autocorrect errors.

edit on 5/14/2015 by cmdrkeenkid because: Added additional response.

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 04:12 AM
link   
With the newer tech coming on line with the F22 , F35 , Xb 47 and Tarranis its no suprize they would have to upgrade some of the older platforms to keep it all together.

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 04:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: grey580

I just saw this one.
Interesting that they are going to be adding a slew of upgrades to the b-2.
You'd think that it would already have some of these things already.
But the b-2 has been around for some time and needs the upgrades.

I see that they are upgrading computers to allow for more software...... what kind of software?

The Air Force is making upgrades to the communications and weapons systems carried by the B-2 bomber by accelerating development of an air-launched, guided nuclear cruise missile and preparing to produce modifications to the existing B-61 nuclear bomb, service officials said.

The B-2 upgrades will outfit the attack aircraft with next generation digital nuclear weapons called the B-61 Mod 12 with a tail kit — and speed up development of a nuclear cruise missile called the Long Range Stand-Off weapon or, LRSO, Eric Single, chief of the Global Strike division for Air Force acquisition, said in an interview with Military​.com.

Probably adding some of the stuff they developed for the B-3 that can easily be added to B-2.

new topics

top topics

join