It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Antimatter annihilation signatures in lightning storm?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 08:03 PM
link   
I am very intrigued, yet the data has not been confirmed. We have to gain an absolute understanding of naturally occuring lightning, as the physics at play may unlock the Earth's dynamo in ways we dream to imagine...Tesla anyone?

www.iflscience.com...

edit on 14-5-2015 by Boscov because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Thanks for finding and presenting this. Regarding your Tesla reference...

While studying electrical storms in Colorado:
He soon found the earth to be "literally alive with electrical vibrations." Tesla came to think that when lightning struck the ground it set up powerful waves that moved from one side of the earth to the other. If the earth was indeed a great conductor, Tesla hypothesized that he could transmit unlimited amounts of power to any place on earth with virtually no loss. But to test this theory, he would have to become the first man to create electrical effects on the scale of lightning.

Master of Lightning

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 08:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Boscov

Fascinating!! I would go with the positron drizzle theory. Antimatter. Imagine the possibilities.

s&f OP.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Pretty neat, could be related to the generation of plasma and then vacuum when a discharge occurs. Accelerating any free electrons to high velocities and doing a pair production process

The page rightly points out that this is somewhat far fetched or not completely what is happening, but still, really neat

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 08:41 PM
link   
I've read of this before, the evidence of these high energy particle events in the atmosphere during thunderstorms and at the fringes of our atmosphere. Yet there are those who are still concerned about the (comparatively speaking) piddling activities carried out in the CERN LHC.

Nature is the master and we are just students.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 08:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Pilgrum

not totally sure this is at all related to LHC physics... but yes, this would give a pointer to the high energy jets of particles being ejected from thunderstorms into space, which has been observed previously. Cosmic rays on the other hand are different. And other underfunded experiments are looking at the origins of those too.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Don't forget to include some amazing photographs of red sprites

www.livescience.com...

Imagine the potential difference between the two ends of the lightning bolt - anywhere between 10 million and 120 million volts and 10,000 to 200,000 amps. That's going to generate an intense magnetic field, so while electrons will go one way, ionized atoms with an opposite charge are going to go the other direction. Perhaps those red sprites are oxygen or nitrogen atoms having electrons drop down into the lowest energy state.

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 09:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ultralight

Fascinating!! I would go with the positron drizzle theory. Antimatter. Imagine the possibilities.

s&f OP.

Free PET/CT (Positron Emission Tomography) scanning!

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Perhaps they are everywhere in nature dispersed, and perhaps they are violent only when compressed, something like the workings of triggering an atomic bomb.

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Actually we believe that these positrons are created by the collision of high-energy photons with atom nucleus, causing photons to turn into particle/antiparticle pairs.

Read more at NASA

This is an image from NASA visualising the zones of antimatter:

Just to give you an idea how big these zones of antimatter can get. Some sources (pilots) have reported that the size of these zones could be measured in miles!

edit on 15-5-2015 by swanne because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Cool stuff! There could well be something to this. If someone is actively looking, it seems likely they would find more data, knowing what to look for.

Antimatter in storms......I can't help but think of the reference to "powers of the air" in the Bible. Negative energy, indeed!?

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 07:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: LadyGreenEyes

Antimatter in storms......I can't help but think of the reference to "powers of the air" in the Bible. Negative energy, indeed!?

Antimatter has positive energy. Since it has positive mass, it follows it has positive energy, because mass = energy.

In the Bible, wasn't "air" a word for "spirit"?

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 02:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: swanne

Antimatter has positive energy. Since it has positive mass, it follows it has positive energy, because mass = energy.

In the Bible, wasn't "air" a word for "spirit"?

Well, I a far from an expert in that field! I tend to think of antimatter as "negative", because it's an opposite to matter, not because of the charge of the particles. Of course, there could be both types of charge, to counter the matter ones. I'd love to see some layman-style info, if you have links. It's been a while since I did any reading on antimatter at all.

In the case of Ephesians 2:2, the word does refer to atmosphere. I am not sure if it's used to describe spirits elsewhere, or not; I can't recall such a reference. I do know there a replaces where the word "star" means an angel, though. BlueLetterBible.org is a decent online source to check the terms in various verses.

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 07:19 AM
link   

I tend to think of antimatter as "negative", because it's an opposite to matter, not because of the charge of the particles.

Well the only differences between a particle and its antiparticle are, really, two things: the charge is reversed, and the spin is reversed. Other than that, both share pretty much every other properties. The term "antimatter" is IMO by itself a bit of a misnomer - I believe "mirror-matter" would have been a better name.

Of course, there could be both types of charge, to counter the matter ones. I'd love to see some layman-style info, if you have links.

Hm, try this: Click here, o ye who beholds this link

I do know there a replaces where the word "star" means an angel, though.

Hm, this is interesting - quite interesting indeed.

BlueLetterBible.org is a decent online source to check the terms in various verses.

Thanks! I'll check it out

edit on 17-5-2015 by swanne because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 07:58 AM
link   
a reply to: stormcell

So beautiful.

edit on 17-5-2015 by Peeple because: add

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 11:24 PM
link   

I tend to think of antimatter as "negative", because it's an opposite to matter, not because of the charge of the particles.

Well the only differences between a particle and its antiparticle are, really, two things: the charge is reversed, and the spin is reversed. Other than that, both share pretty much every other properties. The term "antimatter" is IMO by itself a bit of a misnomer - I believe "mirror-matter" would have been a better name.

Well, perhaps it would have been! Trek gets some things right, lol!

Of course, there could be both types of charge, to counter the matter ones. I'd love to see some layman-style info, if you have links.

Hm, try this: Click here, o ye who beholds this link

Looks good, at a glance! Bookmarked to check out when my brain is more cooperative. Appreciated!

I do know there a replaces where the word "star" means an angel, though.

Hm, this is interesting - quite interesting indeed.

BlueLetterBible.org is a decent online source to check the terms in various verses.

Thanks! I'll check it out

Oh, interesting, indeed! That star that led the wise men, for example? It moved. Seems unlikely to be a ball of gas off in space, eh? Fascinating stuff, though not a lot of material!

Males me wonder, too, why celebrities are called "stars".....

new topics

top topics

join