It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jetpack duo soars over Dubai in astonishing 4K video

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 02:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: PhoenixOD
a reply to: Biigs

While i would tend to agree, these dont need the HUGE power to lift off which would require a HUGE amount of fuel to do, which is why they drop from aircraft to get their speed up to make the wings lift work.

So in reality they cant lift off at all. Or you could say they do need a huge amount of fuel to lift off and that would be the fuel that the helicopter uses to get them in the air in the first place.

In my opinion, they dont have the power to lift off (and they might burn their legs if they had, say 4 engines, either side) and if they did have the power, they would use up so much fuel that they probably wouldnt get very long to fly around and landing again afterwards would be completely out of the question.

Thats basing on the engines they have now, guessing by the 5-10 minute flight time they get from jumping/parachuting.

Of course with lighter, smaller, more efficient, more powerful jets, it could be doable. When that sort of ratio becomes a thing of reality - we shall have to wait to find out!

I dont know how much extra power they would need to think about a stationary starting position, or how complex a landing without a parachute could be. Perhaps with electronic drone style rotors or some combo could work, no idea. But it seems that landing poses a bigger problem than taking off would be, even if the power was there.

edit on b2323316 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 09:58 AM
link   
The flying is as graceful as a soaring eagle. Parachuting to the ground with a 100 plus pound jet strapped to your back is probably not very graceful. If fact, it's gotta be downright awkward. How could you hit the ground in such a way that the jet is not damaged? Or without the pilot getting a hernia from the jolt?

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Just saw this today, still stunned. What an amazing device, I am truly envious :p

If you haven't watched the video in the OP, do yourself a favor and do so!

<< 1   >>

join