It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jetpack duo soars over Dubai in astonishing 4K video

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on May, 13 2015 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Rossy, a former fighter pilot and airline pilot, is said to be the first person in the world to have taken flight with a jet-propelled wing. He’s previously flown across the English Channel, the Grand Canyon and Mount Fuji. In 2011, Rossy raced two fighter jets over the Swiss Alps.

On Monday, this astonishing video was released of him doing it again. This time he is accompanied by skydiver and former BASE jumper Vince Reffet.

The feeling must be indescribable, soaring over the Dubai skyline. Flying solo is great, but to share the experience makes it that much more rewarding.

I would cut off my pinky in order to own and fly one of these machines. What credentials are needed? Can you buy these on Amazon, lol? Take my money!

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Awesome! How much fun would that be?

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 03:52 PM
link   
I saw this on my local morning news and thought "Hey, they look like superheroes!" LOL.

That is definitely neat!

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Sorry...

"Fun" and "neat" are words for when your dog balances a hotdog on his nose and then eats it. This is extraordinarily amazing beyond comprehension!!!

Just kidding, thanks for the comments.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Thanks for that vid

I watched Rossy a few years back (vid) when he made his first flight with those wings. He was in a small plane and strapped on the wings, then jumped out and fired up the jets, flew for a few mins then parachuted back to the ground.
That first vid showed it was possible, but what we see now is just incredible, I WANT ONE!!

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Me too, lets hope we dont need the pinky for thrust control lol

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 04:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: eisegesis
Sorry...

"Fun" and "neat" are words for when your dog balances a hotdog on his nose and then eats it. This is extraordinarily amazing beyond comprehension!!!

Just kidding, thanks for the comments.

Well, if you wanted my very first thought when I saw this it was "holy sh**!!"

But I'm pretty sure I can't say that here.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Saw this this morning but every time I tried to watch it, it wouldn't load... I guess too much traffic lol.
Cool stuff. Jet packs are real!

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 05:16 PM
link   
a reply to: eisegesis

That is amazing man...hahah geez

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 05:20 PM
link   
I'm sooooooooo jealous of these 2 guys, amazing!

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 06:01 PM
link   
I wonder if keeping his legs and feet stabilized would help things? Maybe a quick release harness for his feet incase of an emergency?

Even though this will evolve over time, it's still amazing what they're doing. Imagine what the military has.

edit on 13-5-2015 by eisegesis because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 06:31 PM
link   

that looks like some beefed up model turbines and a carbon fiber wing. i bet it would cost like 5-10K to have one made for you.

i would try it in a heart beat, as long as i get to keep my pinky

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Holy Scoobie Snacks! That looks like some balls out fun.
How do you land I wonder.
Parachutes are for wimps.
Rollerblades?

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 03:06 AM
link   
Mind so totally blown, this is clearly the next advent of jetpack flight.

Id give anything to be able to experience what these guys are doing, sadly im 14,999 jumps off the number needed to be able to do this and not have an insurance premium of a small country to be able to try!!!!

Just amazing. Its not just pure luck, this is the holy grail of a parachuting/skydiving/flying from the guys that have been falling out of planes for longer than most kids have been going to school

*closes hanging jaw slowly...*

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 07:50 AM
link   
Its just a plane strapped to their backs. Not what i would call a jetpack. For me a jetpack has to be a VTOL.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 08:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: PhoenixOD
Its just a plane strapped to their backs. Not what i would call a jetpack. For me a jetpack has to be a VTOL.

While i would tend to agree, these dont need the HUGE power to lift off which would require a HUGE amount of fuel to do, which is why they drop from aircraft to get their speed up to make the wings lift work.

Its all about power to weight and thrust fuel consumption, while i said i agree with you that jetpacks SHOULD be VTOL, these are everything a jetpack should be once they are off the ground going 100mph+ (or whatever).

Just for reference here, the harrier jump jet, yes old tech now but striking similar in operation, uses an massive amount of fuel and (this is where it differs) can only hover for a little over a minute due to the massive cooling required . So considering these guys have enough fuel for X minutes of flight, wings, the jets themselves and the chute gear - they are doing really pretty good and the more they do and improve the closer we will all be to the holy grail of jetpack machines!!!

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 08:27 AM
link   
It does look like fun, I'd like to try it.

At 121 pounds they make it look easy to walk around with it strapped to their back, but that's a fair amount of weight for most people to walk around with (you have to get on the jump plane or helicopter with it strapped on, at least that's what they do).

I see their website says flight time 6 to 13 minutes, I wonder how much fuel it carries to give you that amount of time? When I hear "jetpack" I normally think of flight time in the range of 60 seconds, but that's for a vertical takeoff jetpack. I didn't see these guys do any vertical takeoff; I don't think they can because the thrust is lower than their body weight. It's more like strap-on jet wings than a jet pack.

I didn't see any landings.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Well that surely made me feel small as a human who can't fly.

Just kidding...what can one really say about that video except...

Wish it was me.

Thanks for that.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 01:57 PM
link   
a reply to: tsurfer2000h

Oh, all humans can fly all on their own... for a bit of time, anyway, from a prominence.

But these little jetwings are neat and have some decent time on them... 10 min or so? ...and then you parachute down... and the scenery in this video is ... pretty awe inspiring.

I'm waiting for the cliff diving wing-suits to be married to little thrusters sewn throughout the suit to enable full air mobility ... just need those little sci-fi power-plants we've all been waiting for... and then the amazing jumping mech-armor suits and/or flying suits are a reality.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 02:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Biigs

While i would tend to agree, these dont need the HUGE power to lift off which would require a HUGE amount of fuel to do, which is why they drop from aircraft to get their speed up to make the wings lift work.

So in reality they cant lift off at all. Or you could say they do need a huge amount of fuel to lift off and that would be the fuel that the helicopter uses to get them in the air in the first place.

edit on 14-5-2015 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join