It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATR-72 crew uses ingenuity to prevent accident

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 09:52 AM
link   
We've all heard the horror stories about bad crew coordination causing accidents, and near accidents. This time crew ingenuity and coordination was used to prevent an accident.

An Aer Arann ATR-72 with 42 passengers and 4 crew, operating for Aer Lingus was attempting to land at Cork, when the winds shifted, causing a go around.

During the go around, they were vectored over the ocean at 3,000 feet. During this portion, the captain noticed a buildup of a white film on the windscreen, but didn't know the cause. On the second approach the film caused the runway lights to be so diffused and blurry that they aborted that approach as well.

After contacting maintenance, the crew was notified of an earlier flight that had a build up of sea salt on the windscreen. Since the ATR-72 doesn't have a washer system, the crew decided to fly through a nearby rainstorm that showed up on radar. This cleared the windscreen enough that by leaning a little they could see the runway lights enough to see to land.

Nice to see a crew use their head and not make things worse. They stayed calm, used the information at hand, and came up with a unique solution to an unusual problem.

m.aviationweek.com...

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 10:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

2 words... Butt Puckering!
Or as my father puts it "Sucking Fabric"!

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Flying an aircraft with a dirty screen, with no washer / wiper system..and figures out that flying through a nearby rainstorm might clear the screen a little...isn't exactly quantum physics thinking is it?

I would have thought that was the completely obvious choice, fuel allowing of course.

Humbug.

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 10:18 AM
link   
a reply to: MysterX

And that storm might be strong enough to damage the aircraft, or might have a microburst near it, or large hail. The crew made a good decision and prevented a bad result. Many times it's the exact opposite result.

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Yep quick thinking, and if I may add it's good to see a pilot prepared to loose a little face, and go around 3 times, rather than lose a lot of life and attempt the second landing.

Cody

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 12:00 PM
link   

This reminds me of following another car closely when my washer fluid is out. I'll use the spray from their car and my wiper blades to clean my windshield.

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Reminds me of the old B-47 story about the milk on the windscreen

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 01:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: MysterX
Flying an aircraft with a dirty screen, with no washer / wiper system.

Humbug.

The ATR-72 and other airplanes, among them the B737-NG have wipers, but the rain repellent has been removed because it is extremly poisonous.
Instead the windscreens have hydrophobic coating.
edit on 5-5-2015 by Ivar_Karlsen because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 01:33 PM
link   
edit on 5-5-2015 by Ivar_Karlsen because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Better to be fifteen minutes late in this world than twenty years early to the next one.

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 04:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: MysterX
Flying an aircraft with a dirty screen, with no washer / wiper system..and figures out that flying through a nearby rainstorm might clear the screen a little...isn't exactly quantum physics thinking is it?

I would have thought that was the completely obvious choice, fuel allowing of course.

Humbug.

Well, they could have simply decided to blindly crash, I suppose. Let's just call it a wise course of action.

top topics

join