It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

HASC seeks to cut bomber/tanker spending to save A-10

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2015 @ 07:09 PM
link   
The House Armed Services Committee is seeking to cut $460M from the LRS-B research and development budget, as well as $224M from the KC-46 ($200M from development, $24M from procurement). This would allow them to apply $683M to the A-10.

The reasoning behind the cuts is that both programs have slipped to the point where they couldn't have spent the money regardless. The bill doesn't specifically prohibit the retirement of the Warthog Interestingly.

It'll be interesting to see if this does affect the programs after all. It still leaves a big chunk of the original budget to both aircraft, but I can see this hurting then in the short term.

www.defensenews.com...
edit on 5/3/2015 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2015 @ 07:25 PM
link   

posted on May, 3 2015 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Gotta admit... I have a real soft spot in my heart for those warthogs. It was always nice to hear the sound of that gun.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 12:14 AM
link   
Second to none in the CAS role.

Glad to see it might be sticking around a while longer

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 04:29 AM
link   
Seeing the Kc46 is just a converted 767 I wouldnt think there would be too many hurdles to overcome.The LRSB though is still in its infancy though in regard to tech maturity.The lasting thing about the A10,s are those big guns of theirs absolutely punish the airframes with vibration and cordite causing corrosion..even if they update avionics and weapon systems along with refining engine output the structures will have a finite life..

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 04:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Blackfinger

There's a lot more to the KC-46 than just a converted 767. It's a 767 with triple redundancy, which commercial aircraft don't have and has already proven to be a major hurdle. The digital architecture is going to be an interesting challenge as well I think, not to mention the new boom and camera system.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 07:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

So if I`m reading that middle paragraph right both the LRS-B and KC-46 are about ready to go into a production phase? If both gets pushed back a bit for the A-10 its understandable, nothing else can do what it does.

Reading into the article it also mentions the Navy buying another 12 Super Hornets, why wouldn't they go for more F-35s?

edit on 4-5-2015 by StratosFear because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 08:18 AM
link   
a reply to: StratosFear

The KC-46 is about to fly the first tanker prototype, and will decide on production by the end of the year. The bomber is still in development, but because they slipped the award decision until summer they will push production back somewhat.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 08:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

The KC-46 is about to fly the first tanker prototype, and will decide on production by the end of the year. The bomber is still in development, but because they slipped the award decision until summer they will push production back somewhat.

Would rollout slip as well?

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 08:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Northernhollow

No, the rollout schedule is still the same. Both aircraft are built and ready to go so once it's awarded they're ready to go.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 03:13 PM
link   

I think those F-18 are to fill in for F-18's lost to attrition before the F-35 is ready and for more Growlers.

top topics

join