It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Freddie Gray's Death Ruled a Homicide; 6 Officers Charged!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+31 more 
posted on May, 1 2015 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Breaking now:
This was just released by the State's Atty....so it is developing.
She said there is probable cause to file criminal charges.
It looks like the system appears to be working...however slowly.

The death of Freddie Gray has been ruled a homicide caused by severe trauma.

State's Attorney Marilyn Mosby announced this morning that her office has also found probable cause to pursue criminal charges in connection to the case.

Mosby announced a series of charges now facing the six police officers involved in putting Gray in custody and transporting him in the police wagon on the morning of April 12. The charges vary for each individual, but include several counts of manslaughter, second degree assault, misconduct in office, and false imprisonment among others. A warrant has been issued for the police officer's arrest, Mosby said.

Gray, 25, was taken into police custody in Baltimore on April 12 and sustained a spinal injury during that time that required medical attention. He went into a coma several days later and died a week after his apprehension.

Police have never said why they took him into custody in the first place, noting only that he ran from officers, and they have not publicly explained how Gray received the spinal injury.

Violent protests rocked Baltimore on Monday afternoon and through the night, prompting hundreds of arrests and a citywide curfew that extends through this weekend. There have also been a number of peaceful protests through this week.

abcnews.go.com...
edit on 1-5-2015 by IAMTAT because: comment added

edit on 1-5-2015 by IAMTAT because: highlighting

edit on 1-5-2015 by IAMTAT because: headline explanation

+26 more 
posted on May, 1 2015 @ 10:05 AM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

Just stunning! Scathing! It's good to see justice being done! The charges range from false imprisonment, officer conducts issues....... willful MURDER!

I want to stand up and applaud Baltimore State's Attorney Marilyn Mosby!

edit on 1-5-2015 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 10:06 AM
link   

I just learned something new about the prosecutor. Before she was elected she was the in-house counsel for a insurance company. Hopefully she gave up that job to serve the people of Maryland.

+1 more 
posted on May, 1 2015 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Although some may be upset, she had no choice but to pursue charges in this matter. This may be the one incident out of many that will bring about some much needed change.

She also pointed out this was not an indictment of all police officers, but of those who abuse their power and position.

+29 more 
posted on May, 1 2015 @ 10:09 AM
link   
WOW.

Couple of facts so far:

1. He was illegally arrested.

2.The knife he was carrying was entirely legal.

3. Six officers face unknown charges.

~Tenth

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 10:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT
Breaking now:
This was just released by the State's Atty....so it is developing.
She said there is probable cause to file criminal charges.
It looks like the system appears to be working...however slowly.

The death of Freddie Gray has been ruled a homicide caused by severe trauma.

State's Attorney Marilyn Mosby announced this morning that her office has also found probable cause to pursue criminal charges in connection to the case.

Mosby announced a series of charges now facing the six police officers involved in putting Gray in custody and transporting him in the police wagon on the morning of April 12. The charges vary for each individual, but include several counts of manslaughter, second degree assault, misconduct in office, and false imprisonment among others. A warrant has been issued for the police officer's arrest, Mosby said.

abcnews.go.com...

Contain, Deter, Detect, Delay, and Respond.

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 10:12 AM
link   
So I'm curious does this set precedent for future and past cases that a person ran from police and that was the only reason they were stopped in the first place? Does this mean these false imprisonment (which is a felony I'm pretty sure) charges can be leveled at other officers?

+20 more 
posted on May, 1 2015 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Anyone else feel that this guy died a horrifically needless death or just me?

Anyone else feel no conviction or sentence will help his family now?

Anyone else feel this is all being done to ease Baltimore tension rather than seek justice?

I have more questions than answers.

Sad all round.
Hundreds arrested for protesting...
Business' destroyed by morons...
6 Officers about to be charged and probably dropped from the force when they may have been perfect up until now...
And the death of a young man, who despite his past, didn't deserve what happened...

Crazy world.

Will he be a martyr for Police reform?
Even then, I bet his family and friends would rather have him back.

Sad.

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 10:13 AM
link   

I am curious to see (or hear) a list of the actual charges, rather than just this generalization of charges..

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Well, good. Now the trial will shed light on everything.

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 10:15 AM
link   
This indictment is correct, in that of course he was severely injured. And thankfully this should delay any riots. I say delay because none of these cops will be found guilty. After a three week trial, they will walk. Book it. Then more riots will ensue, ala the riots after the cops walked from the Rodney King incident.

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 10:16 AM
link   
a reply to: windword

Manslaughter is not necessarily willful murder.. there is a difference in terms between voluntary or involuntary.. this is why I am curious to see a list of the actual charges with the actual wording..

Involuntary manslaughter is the unlawful killing of another human being without intent. The absence of the intent element is the essential difference between voluntary and involuntary manslaughter. Also in most states, involuntary manslaughter does not result from a heat of passion but from an improper use of reasonable care or skill while in the commission of a lawful act or while in the commission of an unlawful act not amounting to a felony.

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 10:17 AM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

Anyone else feel this is all being done to ease Baltimore tension rather than seek justice?

I think THE AMERICAN PEOPLE demanded justice, not just some disenfranchised folk and rabble rousers from the Hood, and they got it, for a change!

Whoop whoop!

Indeed, it was said we would awake up to a new America after the Baltimore riots, and indeed, we have. Police will think twice, all across the country, next time they try to pull something like this again.

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 10:19 AM
link   
a reply to: OpinionatedB

Charges Against Officers In Freddie Gray's Death Range From Murder To Manslaughter

Mosby, the city's recently elected state's attorney, announced a range of charges against several Baltimore police officers, with the offenses ranging from second-degree murder and involuntary manslaughter to assault and misconduct in office. Warrants have been issued for their arrest, she said.

Actually they're calling depraved murder. Finally sounds like justice!

edit on 1-5-2015 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 10:20 AM
link   

I think that there is definitely going to be more major civil unrest...charging the Police in question with homicide is not going to calm down many; they will get more upset and act out their anger...and I think this is going to happen across the United States.

I know...I know...to many I am stating the obvious...but I just felt a need to say it.

edit on 2015-05-01T10:22:47-05:00amFridayam0120155America/Chicagoam by caladonea because: edit

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 10:20 AM
link   
TV comments;

The police union is saying that none of the officers are responsible for Gray's death.

The conflicts from within are going to be plenty.

The arraignments should be interesting.

+11 more 
posted on May, 1 2015 @ 10:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs
Anyone else feel that this guy died a horrifically needless death or just me?

I think most important of all is the fact there was no justification for his arrest. This, and many other arrests, are not justified. Maybe this will place some pressure on LEO's across the country to re-think their rush to arrest someone because they "can".

Never should have happened.

+9 more 
posted on May, 1 2015 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Looks like they're being hung out to dry to save their towns

Just goes to show, protesting and costing businesses money DOES pay off.

If they get off, well, expect more

edit on 1-5-2015 by bullcat because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 10:24 AM
link   
I'm really glad she addressed the false arrest charge. She stated he had not broken any laws and simply ran after making eye contact with the police. I have heard many protestors state they and their family members run every time they see LEO's.

They shouldn't have arrested him in the first place and this is one of the main reasons for protest. Good for her. I was surprised when she stated they checked on him 5 different times and even asked if he needed medical assistance which he acknowledged he did and not once was a medic called to assist him.

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 10:25 AM
link   
If only the American people will do the same for their Constitution, perhaps things will change then too.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join