It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This Arkansas bill would let bosses force employees to friend them on Facebook

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 11:46 PM
link   
a reply to: snowspirit

Illegal? You cant own people.
What is your point?

posted on Apr, 18 2015 @ 12:05 AM
link   
Despite as it is already known and demonstrated how FaceBook is invasive towards privacy, public and NSA wise. Employers are already monitoring FB before and after employment, is that not enough? Forcing this though goes beyond the bounds.

Those affected gotta take matters into their own hands if it can't be changed-encouraged firstly otherwise it will become a norm. Have a professional / real name FB page where you only share "friendly posts". Use another, to talk with friends, family, etc,etc, to keep your privacy.

In a sense with younger people there's already a backlash as they are not using it opting for more photo sharing sites. That could be invasive in it's own way, look at the photo leaks issues. There's gotta be something more to shift people away from FB dependance-which as someone who dislikes it finds it hard to get away from because people are so dependent on using it for communication. or on the other side of this, why should people be forced into hiding because of FB being fully as a tool against privacy: such as by rules against nicknames used instead of real names and overall finding an alternative to it.
edit on 18-4-2015 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2015 @ 12:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Expat888
Any job that requires someone to use farcebook is NOT a job worth having ..

I do not and will not use fakebook/ CIA cointelprobook.

Screw them, there are other jobs that don't demand Nazi like privacy invading rules just to make sure I am preaching their bs company propaganda in my personal time.

posted on Apr, 18 2015 @ 02:59 AM
link   
Feces Book can suck it on down the road.
No use for it.

posted on Apr, 18 2015 @ 03:11 AM
link   
I think that social media sites like Facebook should be kept separate from work-related sites like LinkedIn. There should be line drawn between work and home.
edit on 18amSat, 18 Apr 2015 03:12:40 -0500kbamkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2015 @ 03:20 AM
link   
Welcome to MY world! HAR HAR.

It's not so much fun when your contractor wants all your online info.

posted on Apr, 18 2015 @ 05:34 AM
link   
a reply to: AboveBoard

Probably the way drug testing is handled. You have to sign a waiver of your civil rights.

posted on Apr, 18 2015 @ 09:29 AM
link   
I work on a mine site in Western Australia. Unfortunately I can't tell you who I work for, nor which mine site I work on because of the nature of the contract I signed. If I talk about who I work for, who our client is and the name of the mine site without prior authorisation we are instantly fired.

If we post photographs on Facebook without authorisation we are fired.

If we post anything on Facebook during anytime when we are supposed to be rostered on at work, we are fired.

If we troll any of our colleagues, employer, client or any other stake holders in the company, fired.

Many people have a private profile which the bosses (apparently) cannot see, yet somehow within 24 hours of any contractual breaches, these offenders are dismissed.

We are located about 80km north of Tom Price which means the only telecommunications towers were erected by the mining company I work for.

This means they own the towers and the servers and also within our contract is a clause which allows them to scan our email.

Arkansas is lucky that the motion was over ruled this time, but my opinion is that it's only a matter of time before prospective employees are forced to sign a contract stating that they must oblige their prospective employer certain liberties in relation to Facebook, Twitter and every other social media account they hold, or they don't get the job.

If you don't sign the contract, you don't get the job.

posted on Apr, 18 2015 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Facebook..pfffft don't and never will have, it's a tool and it gets used.

posted on Apr, 18 2015 @ 10:35 AM
link   
What if I don't have a FB or Twitter account.... Would I be forced to create one so that I could then friend my boss?

If that is the case,would I then be forced to create content on those platforms so that it could be evaluated?

Would I be required to create a specific amount of content per day?

Why anyone uses FB is beyond me. Guess I'm old school and would rather talk to my friends.
edit on 4/18/2015 by Finalized because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2015 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Land of the free, I'm so jealous, I want to attack your freedoms.

posted on Apr, 18 2015 @ 11:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: IAmPhoenix7
a reply to: AboveBoard

Can u elaborate further your entire paragraph I thinkNim missing something in that.

Lol! Just a little joke between Beezer and me - we are often on seemingly opposite sides of the political spectrum. That's all!

The metaphor is of the nation as a boat being weighted down on the right or left side with people hoping to tip the balance in what that believe is their own favor, but it's a boat! Too much tipping and we all end up in the water until we manage to haul the boat back upright and find equilibrium.

Something like that. It was just a minor comment. Thank for asking.

posted on Apr, 18 2015 @ 12:50 PM
link   
How peculiar.

Fortunately, I hardly use my Facebook so if this law were miraculously passed where I reside I would reply with: "Sure, add me all you like, however, I am never on so it may be a very long while until I accept and when I do, all you'll see is me reblog the occasional funny video or news article." haha

~Sovereign

posted on Apr, 18 2015 @ 07:13 PM
link   
The vote of 92-1 is startling...the rider must have been stuffed
with perks and pork and pay raises...maybe even free hookers,
booze, and a complimentary steak and lobster buffet for the
state rep's Friday night poker parties...

Anway....we already let them go digging thru our urine....
what's the big deal about of few pages of typed text?
edit on 18-4-2015 by rival because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2015 @ 08:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: snowspirit
If you're forced to behave in a certain way in your private life, by the person who pays you in your professional life, and also to not be entitled to privacy from that person, that person owns your life.
You're property.

Isn't that illegal, to own people as property?

Shhhhh, its a secret. All that aside if you make only enough money to make it from this paycheck to the next and don't dare quit because the economy is, um, horrible, you are property too. And make no mistake, a LOT of employers know this, and couldn't be happier because of it.

edit on 18-4-2015 by openminded2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2015 @ 05:58 PM
link   
My Facebook is locked down. Not viewable to anyone but my friends. So, therefore if an employer wanted access to it, I would give them the old middle finger salute.

What I say to my friends on facebook, is no different than if I said it to them in conversation, in person. If they have no right to HEAR what I say to my friends, then they have no right to read what I say to them on FB. I would quit, and get another job first.

Wow. Where are our freedoms going folks?

Down the drain, that's where.

posted on Apr, 19 2015 @ 09:29 PM
link   
a reply to: LDragonFire

The law makers claim that if a person on Facebook talks bad or slanders a boss or company that they have a right to know.

That's a pretty poor excuse for such a bold attempt at invading someone's privacy.

Your online accounts that are password protected are an extension of your home, in my opinion.

That same excuse could be used to wiretap your employees home's.

posted on Apr, 19 2015 @ 09:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Montana
a reply to: snowspirit

Apparently it is now called a "free market". But hey, if you don't like it just go work for someone else! Cause jobs are easy.

If the government passes a bill that forces you to friend your boss on Facebook--that is not a "free market"--that is the opposite.

That would be government intrusion into the market. As I have stated many times, government is the true power-source of any society, and the fact that businesses have to buy politicians to acquire the power they need proves it.

posted on Apr, 19 2015 @ 09:43 PM
link   
a reply to: LDragonFire

Unbelievable, I mean, no employer or government should have the right to tell you to do anything concerning social media unless you work in some sensitive position, by pushing mandatory social media presence is really proxy marketing for a privately or publicly held corporation that has no legal tie to said employer or government, how could they really guarantee posts are yours and have not been tampered with or modified from the original posts if made, , the first slippage of this was when any employer or government agency can use private and public consumer credit reports to build scores and use them in employment processes that are not involving any sort of financial handling etc, I mean really this is akin to your boss, mayor or governor telling you have to use a certain laundry detergent over another and by the way, you have to tell us which one you purchased and how often you wash your clothes because we are doing spot checks to see if you do what we say, we can detect any evidence of you, not washing your clothes, not using the mandatory detergent and also if you are not washing them long enough also if it is found you have any complaint or derogatory comment about this or any other policy you will be terminated...by the way if you are friends with anyone even involved in not abiding by what we see view as proper we can also fire you ! can you imagine the foolishness???

posted on Apr, 19 2015 @ 11:26 PM
link   
This is evil. A prime example of the people always crying about "liberty" pushing big government, corporate, compassionate conservatism.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join